Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2 v MX5 v MG F

Options
  • 27-04-2005 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Guys, I am rattling my brains over the last few weeks about these 3 cars. I don't know an awful lot about cars but I hope to go for one of these.

Judging by the opinions I have been reading and talking to people I have come to certain conclusions.

MR2: Pricey but looks great. Very little storage room. $20,000-€21,000for a 00-01

MX5: Great reviews, apparently better in every area than the other 2. Hard to find decent 2nd hand one. I wouldn't go earlier than '99 myself €14,000-€15000 for '99-'00

MG F: Good price on these 2nd hand. They look good. Don't think I have ever seen a bloke drive one. ROVER!!

I would really value your impressions and opinions, especially from those who have experience of one or more of these.

Thanks

MR2
    mcconnell7e3a57ab-bca6-470f-ba77-3c84a0e2dec8_front.jpg

MX5
    magnorMX-gre910.jpg

MGF
    llautosMGFNig713.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

py2006 wrote:
    MX5: Great reviews, apparently better in every area than the other 2.

Surely you jest. About the only area in which the MX5 is better than the MR2 is storage space. In every other area, the MR2 is superior. It also looks a lot less girly IMO (since you seem to be concerned about that).

You should read this review and then get back to me. It's been scanned from a magazine so use the little arrows at the bottom of each page to get to the next page.

You might also read this JD Power survey from 2003.

I haven't seen any reviews that rate the MX5 more highly than the MR2 (and I've looked). Perhaps you can point me to some?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Personally i am an MX-5 fan and therefore would recommend it.
    (One of the top ten cars in the reliability index)

Also like the MR2, (but not as much ;) )..

But what ever you do, stay away from the MG, unless you like dealing with oil leaks...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Would anyone seriously consider buying a rover at the moment??? wtf??

Seriously though as has been said if you like having no boot (at all, the storage in the mr2 isnt worth talking about) buy the mr2.

If you need a boot for your golf clubs buy the mx-5 (though I believe the ride is a bit hard in them)

Other possibles
    SLK 200
    Z3 - hideous but anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

MR2 definitely!

Stay away from the MGF, we had one...nightmare, too many problems to list. Prob even more of a prob now that rover have gone.

SLK200 also a fine motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Ernie Ball wrote:

I haven't seen any reviews that rate the MX5 more highly than the MR2 (and I've looked). Perhaps you can point me to some?

As I said, I am not really all that knowledgeable on cars. I cant remember the site where I saw the review but it was literally the first review I looked at.

But you seem to know what your talking about so I trust ya!

How little space in the MR2 are we talking about??? (I dont play golf)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

mx5 would be my choice,

I don't like new MR2, looks from the front like Chineese Porsche boxster replica.

and wouldn't care about mx5 image, you are driving the car for your own pleasure

I like the MX5, I think it looks classy. The MR2 kinda looks like a "tossers" car but for some reason I am warming to them. Not that I am a tosser or anything.

I just read through a brief review there and the MR2 apparently comes out on top for cost of running and reliability. But it lacks storage space and its uncomfortable. Hmmmmm

py2006 wrote:
    How little space in the MR2 are we talking about??? (I dont play golf)

We are talking about very little space. Like this much behind the seats:

Storage.jpg

and this much under the bonnet:

SpareTire.jpg

Basically, you won't be taking any suitcases in it. Soft sided duffle bags are good, though.

You can also get a rack for over the boot and put granny's suitcase on there if you need to. But that's an extra expense.

py2006 wrote:
    I just read through a brief review there and the MR2 apparently comes out on top for cost of running and reliability. But it lacks storage space and its uncomfortable. Hmmmmm

I don't find the MR2 to be uncomfortable and I'm 6 foot 2. In fact, most reports say that the MX5 is less comfortable and spacious inside (space for gear is another matter).

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If its storage space you want then I think it is pointless looking at these type of motors. If you can live with this limitation then I would choose the MR2. The MX-5 on the other hand is probably more plentiful and alot cheaper to buy.

I would forget about the Rover altogether, they will be a potental money pit especially with Rover now gone into the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

Shouldn't this be in the Hairdresser's thread??

Having driven both (MK1 MX-5 and MK2 MR2),

I found the MR2 much more sporty,

But in terms of involvement and handling, i'm afraid the MX-5 won hands down.

I would question the claim that the MR2 is more reliable, but whether it is or not, both cars are much better built than nearly all production family cars, so this isn't really a deciding factor.

I wouldn't concern myself with storage space either, these cars are not about that.

Also, who cares about what others think of the image (tosser or girly), i have guys who drive third hand diesel lagunas try to slag me about my MX-5!!! (i have nothing against diesel or lagunas, but people in glasshouses .!.!.!)

Check out both, if you can't decide which you prefer, test drive them, if you still can't decide, go for which ever you can get the best deal on...

Cheers

P.S. But seriously, MG, no, no, no, no .. . . .

prospect wrote:

P.S. But seriously, MG, no, no, no, no .. . . .

heheh, nobody seems to be having a good thing to say about MG.

I am not too worried about the girly image. The space thing wouldn't concern me a whole lot as I wouldn't be putting a suitcase into but I would like to have a couple shopping bags here and there. (now I am beginning to sound like a girl)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dont suppose uve thought about importing a s2000 from the uk ? (year 2000 )

elexes wrote:
    dont suppose uve thought about importing a s2000 from the uk ? (year 2000 )

What in the name of jaysus is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Some more convertible ideas for you from carzone:

BMW Cabriolet €8,950
    BMW Z3 €14,975
    Lotus Elan €14,995
    Saab 900 €13,950
    Toyota Celica €6,750

Eoin

The VRT on an S2000 would be insane. Second hand ones here sell for nearly €50,000.

The S2000 is Honda's roadster.

eoin_s wrote:
    Some more convertible ideas for you from carzone:

BMW Cabriolet €8,950
    BMW Z3 €14,975
    Lotus Elan €14,995
    Saab 900 €13,950
    Toyota Celica €6,750

Eoin

Hmmm interesting, thanks for that Eoin

Ernie Ball wrote:
    The VRT on an S2000 would be insane. Second hand ones here sell for nearly €50,000.

The S2000 is Honda's roadster.

According to VRT website,

A 2000 reg S2000 with 30,000 miles would carry nearly €7500 in VRT alone...

prospect wrote:
    According to VRT website,

A 2000 reg S2000 with 30,000 miles would carry nearly €7500 in VRT alone...

Yeap, they were looking for over 5000 on an MR2

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote:
    Yeap, they were looking for over 5000 on an MR2

Before I got mine, I was thinking of buying one from a guy in Down. I checked the revenue site and VRT was about €4,000. Nothing to sneeze at, but there are some good values up there that might be worth checking out even with the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

py2006 wrote:
    heheh, nobody seems to be having a good thing to say about MG.

I am not too worried about the girly image. The space thing wouldn't concern me a whole lot as I wouldn't be putting a suitcase into but I would like to have a couple shopping bags here and there. (now I am beginning to sound like a girl)

i would still consider MGF if the price is right,

prospect wrote:
    Having driven both (MK1 MX-5 and MK2 MR2),

I found the MR2 much more sporty,

But in terms of involvement and handling, i'm afraid the MX-5 won hands down.

We're not talking about the Mk 2 MR2 (which isn't a convertible and looks like a little Ferrari). We're talking about the Mk3 Roadster, 2000-present.

The handling on the MR2 roadster is at least equal to that of the MX5.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    We're not talking about the Mk 2 MR2 (which isn't a convertible and looks like a little Ferrari). We're talking about the Mk3 Roadster, 2000-present.

The handling on the MR2 roadster is at least equal to that of the MX5.

Oh :o , apologies,

I can't comment, as i have not driven that myself. (I have a policy of only making a firm comment on a car that i have personally driven, not what i have read or heard second hand!)

I will have to trust your judgement on that one. Once again, apologies, although now that i think about it, it was pretty obvious, duh, I think i'll go back to bed...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just a warning don't end up like this: :D:D

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=206822 :o :eek:

bazz26 wrote:

Oh I hate them, fecking scanger cars!

bazz26 wrote:

Grurple is my favourite colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Grurple is my favourite colour!

does Grurple mean the mix of green and purple, or the retching / vomiting noise you would make when seeing the car? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

If you are willing to spend up to €20k, I'd seriously consider a 200SLK, or better, a 230SLK

Depreciation is glacial, it's very fast, status and style obviously a class above the others and the rectractable hard top is a big bonus (best of both worlds). The turbo gives a great flat torque curve so acceleration is there at any speed in any gear nearly. Much more luggage space than any of the others

The Honda S2000 is the only true sportscar of all the cars mentioned (although top speed same as merc and 0-100 less than a second quicker - to put things into perspective) but it is likely to be way out of your league to buy and insure...

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    If you are willing to spend up to €20k, I'd seriously consider a 200SLK, or better, a 230SLK

Depreciation is glacial, it's very fast, status and style obviously a class above the others and the rectractable hard top is a big bonus (best of both worlds). The turbo gives a great flat torque curve so acceleration is there at any speed in any gear nearly. Much more luggage space than any of the others

The Honda S2000 is the only true sportscar of all the cars mentioned (although top speed same as merc and 0-100 less than a second quicker - to put things into perspective) but it is likely to be way out of your league to buy and insure...

I'm not really taken with mercs to be honest. I did a quick look at cbg.ie and your talking 20,000 for a 91 reg.

Advertisement