Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2 v MX5 v MG F

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Volcano

Basically all these cars are driver cars. You wont be getting ones if your not at least a little interested in performance. If your more interested in looks and comfort then maybe your looking at the wrong type of car. Their called sports cars for a reason ;)

I think however 0-60 times are more appropriate then lets say top speeds as it is something you will use in everyday cars even in simple overtaking manovers where it is defnitly within your interest to have a car which can accelerate at a good speed to allow you to be safe while overtaking ;)

Personally the mg would be last on my list, although you would get it for cheapest not, the resale vaule will also be the worst, plus out of the three main cars youve suggested i believe it would be 3rd on the majority of peoples lists. Out or the other two the best thing is to drive both and see which would be more suit what your looking for. I personally would preferre the Mr2 for driving style. Hows your decision coming along so far? Have you had the chance to test drive any yet? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I am still the none the wiser! I am a very indecisive person. Especially when it comes to expensive things.

I haven't test driven either car as yet. Most of the MX5's are from private sellers which I wanna avoid if at all possible. So if I wanna test drive one I would probably limited to a 05 model which wouldn't give me a good idea of what a 5 yr old one would be like.

Its probably the same story with the MR2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

There's a guy (private seller) selling a black 00 MR2 with hard top on the Buy and Sell. He's asking €17,500. I talked to him before I bought mine and he seemed pretty straight. Told me straight up it had 60 or 70,000 miles (I forget which) on the clock, which is a lot but does keep the price down.

Go here.

Yea that will be hard alright. Unless you can go to any toyota or mazda garages that would have second hand models. Garages are so much easier to get the test drives from as i know its quite awkward with private sellers to organise a test drive, especially when you know theres only a 50% chance youll but it.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    There's a guy (private seller) selling a black 00 MR2 with hard top on the Buy and Sell. He's asking €17,500. I talked to him before I bought mine and he seemed pretty straight. Told me straight up it had 60 or 70,000 miles (I forget which) on the clock, which is a lot but does keep the price down.

Go here.

Yea, I saw that. But I am always weary of private sellers. Can you remember if he told you what colour the interior was. Some of the black ones I saw have red seats :eek:

• Advertisement

Holy crap! I just parked beside an MX5 in Tesco there and my jesus are those things small!!!! Its a while since I seen one up close and I had kinda forgotten how small they were. Them pics on cbg give you no idea how small these things actually are.

Haha yea like i said their certainly not comfort cars in any way or shape. I hope your not tall :p I love them simply because when i drive one i forget about anything in way of comfort and enjoy driving so much :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

(Didn't read all the posts on this thread so apologies if these points have been made already.)

I would definitely go for an MX-5. Both the MX-5 and MR-2 will probably be very reliable and won't let you down, but the MX-5 is closer to being a true sportscar in my opinion, I also prefer the styling.

py2006 wrote:
    Holy crap! I just parked beside an MX5 in Tesco there and my jesus are those things small!!!! Its a while since I seen one up close and I had kinda forgotten how small they were. Them pics on cbg give you no idea how small these things actually are.

Think those are small? Try the Suzuki Cappuccino:
    226_1664_300.jpg

or the Smart Roadster:

_38278886_smart_roadster_coupe_300.jpg

Volcano wrote:
    Haha yea like i said their certainly not comfort cars in any way or shape. I hope your not tall :p I love them simply because when i drive one i forget about anything in way of comfort and enjoy driving so much :cool:

I've said it before but I'm 6 foot 2 with a long torso. Headroom is always a problem for me. I don't fit in the MX5. The MR2 is perfectly fine, though: I've got at least an inch of headroom with the hard top on and a bit less than that with the soft top.

• Advertisement

(Didn't read all the posts on this thread so apologies if these points have been made already.)

I would definitely go for an MX-5. Both the MX-5 and MR-2 will probably be very reliable and won't let you down, but the MX-5 is closer to being a true sportscar in my opinion, I also prefer the styling.

Once again, the 'true sportscar' rears its head. Care to enlighten us as to which sportscars are 'true' and why?

I'm willing to bet you haven't driven an MR2.

wow that Suzuki Cappuccino is mint, not :rolleyes: Thats impressive that the Mr2 gives you so much room! What color did you buy? Which other cars out there did you test drive while deciding?

Volcano wrote:
    wow that Suzuki Cappuccino is mint, not :rolleyes: Thats impressive that the Mr2 gives you so much room!

You sit very low in the MR2, which gives you more headroom than in the MX5.
    What color did you buy? Which other cars out there did you test drive while deciding?

Mine's black, which is exactly the colour I wanted. I would've settled for silver or blue. Didn't want red or green:eek: or yellow:eek::eek:. White might've been acceptable.

I only drove MR2s this time because I knew it was what I wanted. Two years ago I drove a friend's late-90s MX5 in the US and found it too cramped.

Very nice, silver and black is lovely! Congrats on finding an excellent car, nothing better then being completly happy with your choice :D

I want a car now! :(

Saw another MX5 on way home from pub. It was a '94 model. Those old ones dont look as bad as I thought they would.

I aint tall by the way. I forget who asked that question as I am a little drunk. I am about 5'8. Are the MR2's as low as the MX5's?

I was thinking I drop me granny to the shops every Tuesday. How on gods earth am I gonna get her into and MX5 and more to the point how in the name of bejaysus am I gonna get her out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Think those are small? Try the Suzuki Cappuccino:
    smart :eek:

they are small, cappo handles very well and you forget how small the car is, soon as you floor it. This nippy car makes sense on twisty roads but has limited use on motorway.

MX5 or 1995 MR2 would be nice

Py ~ your gran may have a few issues with it ;) Have you actually sat in any of these cars yourself? :p

Agreed. Unless your gran is particularly spry and can leap into the seat when the top's down, there's no way she'll be getting in and out of an MR2 or an MX5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

PY2006,

I don't thik you have thought this fully through...
    Why not pop along to a owners club day, for both the MX-5 and MR2, and i am sure the owners would be glad to bring you out on a spin.

But I agree, granny will not be too happy with any small sports convertible.

Volcano wrote:
    Py ~ your gran may have a few issues with it ;) Have you actually sat in any of these cars yourself? :p

No I haven't actually sat in one as yet. I just admire from afar! (sounds like my love life)

According to mxireland.com a group of MX5 owners are meeting tonight in the Strawberry Hall pub on the Strawberry beds.

I might pop along and take a look at them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

py2006 wrote:
    I might pop along and take a look at them.
    Which? The owners or their cars?

:D

Which? The owners or their cars?

:D

Well unfortunately I think most of the drivers are actually men so I wont be looking at them.

So I will be checking out the cars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

py2006 wrote:
    Well unfortunately I think most of the drivers are actually men so I wont be looking at them.

So I will be checking out the cars

I met this bunch a few weekends ago, for a tech day. They are friendly and helpful. I won't be there this evening, but explain your situation and they'll be happy to give their opinion.
    One guy has an MR2 aswell as an MX-5

You should try and meet an MR2 group aswell, maybe Ernie Ball knows one, and then you will be better informed to help you choose. :)

prospect wrote:
    I met this bunch a few weekends ago, for a tech day. They are friendly and helpful. I won't be there this evening, but explain your situation and they'll be happy to give their opinion.
    One guy has an MR2 aswell as an MX-5

You should try and meet an MR2 group aswell, maybe Ernie Ball knows one, and then you will be better informed to help you choose. :)

Cool. What a place of a car owners club to meet!! a feckin PUB!!!

prospect wrote:

There is no Irish MR2 Mk3 group. There's a Mk2 group but they seem to have been dormant for a while if their website is anything to go on.

If you're in Dublin, py, I'm happy to give you a spin in my rocket sled. I can't let you drive it though as you wouldn't be insured for it.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    There is no Irish MR2 Mk3 group. There's a Mk2 group but they seem to have been dormant for a while if their website is anything to go on.

If you're in Dublin, py, I'm happy to give you a spin in my rocket sled. I can't let you drive it though as you wouldn't be insured for it.

No way! for real? Jaysus, thats mighty trusting of you. I could be a serial killer who preys on MR2 owners!!!

Actually I am not, am a 28 yr old guy who knows nothing about cars other than that they have a go pedal and a stop pedal!!

py2006 wrote:
    No way! for real? Jaysus, thats mighty trusting of you. I could be a serial killer who preys on MR2 owners!!!

And I could be a serial killer who preys on MR2 buyers.:eek::D

Aw what a nice way to meet! :P

Ernie Ball wrote:
    And I could be a serial killer who preys on MR2 buyers.:eek::D
    Well we can swop tactics :D

• Advertisement

So I went to the MX5 owners club meeting thingy today. What a big disaster that was!!!!! There was one fecking mx5 there when I arrived. So I went in for a pint hoping a few more would arrive soon after. NOT ONE!!!! Jaysus!

Advertisement