Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2 v MX5 v MG F

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

That shouldn't be a problem, as long as they don't pressure wash the joints between the roof and the windows from about 2 inches :D

I have washed mine, and hosed it several times without any issue. (Although i don't use a pressure washer either, except on the wheels and under the wheel arches.

RE: NCT, I suppose they do. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

prospect wrote:
    That shouldn't be a problem, as long as they don't pressure wash the joints between the roof and the windows from about 2 inches :D

I have washed mine, and hosed it several times without any issue. (Although i don't use a pressure washer either, except on the wheels and under the wheel arches.

RE: NCT, I suppose they do. :rolleyes:

Cool, the one I am looking at is a '99 model which has the newer shape which I like. Its silver, which am not sure about really. Will have to see it in the flesh. I love the black and the dark metallic blue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

prospect wrote:
    You can take the MX5 through a car was with the soft top. But i wouldn't do it very often. Actually, i wouldn't take any car through a mechanical car wash very often. It dulls the paint and can cause scratches, also they are crap.

Very true. Mechanical car washes are a bad idea - for any car, not just soft tops.

Having said that, the soft top on the MX-5 is fairly tough. All soft tops will leak eventually but you can buy a product to stop leaks. It is a spray available from camping gear shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

prospect wrote:

You can take the MX5 through a car wash with the soft top.

DANGER: not all car washes. Many follow the roof profile using a metal detector, and soft tops may not have enough in the bars, or the bars in the right place, for the detector to work, so it just plows through the roof.

Get used to hand washing ;) or power sprays - bear in mind that the car is designed to be driven in driving rain at high speeds, provided you don't aim the spray directly at the window/roof joins, it's fine :D

Borzoi wrote:
    DANGER: not all car washes. Many follow the roof profile using a metal detector, and soft tops may not have enough in the bars, or the bars in the right place, for the detector to work, so it just plows through the roof.

OOOOhhh, Good advise. I hadn't heard of that before.
    I am deffo sticking to the home jobs then, esp now i have my new FLASH car wash system!!!

• Advertisement

Borzoi wrote:

Get used to hand washing ;) or power sprays - bear in mind that the car is designed to be driven in driving rain at high speeds, provided you don't aim the spray directly at the window/roof joins, it's fine :D

Well I wouldn't mind handwashing it. I will be more willing to take special care of it as it will be my first car and the most I have ever spent on anything. (in one go)

I am sure there are special cleaning stuff for these things you can buy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

py2006 wrote:
    Well I wouldn't mind handwashing it. I will be more willing to take special care of it as it will be my first car and the most I have ever spent on anything. (in one go)
    And if I get a puppy I'll walk it EVERY day!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

LOL @ atheist

And if I get a puppy I'll walk it EVERY day!

:D

haha, good point!

Went and viewed an MX5 today!! It was absolutely STUNNING!!!! Gonna view it again in the morning....cant wait! Think I will get it :D

best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    best of luck with it.

Thanks! Man, pics online and in mags dont do cars justice. You gotta view them in the flesh!

This one has a glass rear window and a nice small spoiler at the back.

If the price is right - don't be afraid to GO FOR IT!

What colour?

Edited: oops silver from an earlier post... nice!

If the price is right - don't be afraid to GO FOR IT!

What colour?

Edited: oops silver from an earlier post... nice!

€12,950 and its silver with a black soft top. Its in immaculate condition. Normally I am not taken with silver but this dropped my jaw!

Why do I suspect we'll be seeing a proud pic here soon enough?!

It would be a fitting end to a (surprisingly) long thread! ;)

Why do I suspect we'll be seeing a proud pic here soon enough?!

It would be a fitting end to a (surprisingly) long thread! ;)

hehe yes, hope so! As soon as I get it I will take a few pics and post for you all!!!

Hope nobody gets it before me now! :(

It is a surprising long thread. I am quite proud of that actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good luck buying it :)

cheers! I can't stop thinkin about the feckin thing now!!! I wont sleep tonight! I am like a big kid. Hopefully everything is all ok with it under the hood.

GUESS WHAT GUYS!!!!!!

I put the deposit down on an MX5 today!!! Its a silver one with a black soft-top with glass rear heated window. Its got air conditioning and electric windows and aerial and mirrors. Its a 6-speed car.

I got a cracker of a deal!! It should be mine to drive by the end of the week :D
    • Me uncle noticed that the front two tires had about 10,000 miles left in them. So the garage agreed to fit FOUR new tires on it.
    • The car will be fully NCT'd. serviced etc with a 1year warranty for parts and labour.
    • He will fill the tank with petrol
    • He is gonna replace the radio as its a Jap radio with crappy bandwidth.
    • He said to pick out a CD player in a shop to the value of €450 and he will put get it and put it in for me.
    • And if I have trouble getting out to pick it up he will send somebody out to pick me up :D
    I am sure I am leaving out something but all looks well :D

Will post pics as soon as its in front of me house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Volcano

Wow congrats!!!! I was thinking of you yesterday when i saw a lotus and an mx5 parked together in town, took some pics of them for ya! Cant wait to see your pics once you have it home, im sure youll love it! :cool:

Volcano wrote:
    Wow congrats!!!! I was thinking of you yesterday when i saw a lotus and an mx5 parked together in town, took some pics of them for ya! Cant wait to see your pics once you have it home, im sure youll love it! :cool:

I know, its deadly :D I just cant wait now to get me hands on it.

Everybody that knows me now is spotting mx5's and other convertibles all over the place :D I think the sales will go up on account of my blabbering.

I am looking at CD players at mo. Found a really good Alpine one (cda-9831r)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Ya, congrats!

Even if you didn't buy an MR2 in the end, you can be sure you got an excellent motor. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Ya, congrats!

Even if you didn't buy an MR2 in the end, you can be sure you got an excellent motor. Looking forward to seeing pics.

Ya! I was thinking about that. Was saying to meself that Ernie Bell is gonna kill me for getting one. hehe

I just couldn't resist. Once I went to view the car I knew it was mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

py2006 wrote:
    I bet your man felt like a spare tit!

They are back again on the 1st of June

Oy ! I resemble that remark. Was it a red MX5 you saw ? That was probably me - the other feckers didn't turn up until about half past 8, so I zoomed off for a spin on the B-roads (weather was great that evening).

Many congrats py2006....

Now you will have to join the club so i can see your pride and joy in the flesh..

www.mx5ireland.com

Cheers...

prospect wrote:
    Many congrats py2006....

Now you will have to join the club so i can see your pride and joy in the flesh..

www.mx5ireland.com

Cheers...

Yep, sure will! Will be looking for all sorts of tips and advice etc. I have to give it a name :D

franksm wrote:
    Oy ! I resemble that remark. Was it a red MX5 you saw ? That was probably me - the other feckers didn't turn up until about half past 8, so I zoomed off for a spin on the B-roads (weather was great that evening).

:o hehehe.

Hmmm, not sure of the colour but it must of been u. I would have parked beside ya in a 04 Focus and went in for a pint. But we didn't get there till after 8.30. It was closer to 9 when you left :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I envy you guys your owners' club.

We MR2 drivers don't have one. :(

Ernie Ball wrote:

One of the MX5 guys has an MR2 aswell. Maybe you guys could get the ball rolling. :)

Ernie Ball wrote:

MR2 Driver's Club

Kew Kinnerslet, PO Box 999, Huntington, Cambs PE17 2PX

http://users.powernet.co.uk/stable/uk_mr2.html

MR2 MK1 Club
    Ken Salmon, 35 Alma Street, Luton, Beds, LU11 2 PL Tel 01582 454971
    Website http://www.mr2mk1club.com E-mail rmorgan.park301@ntlworld.com

There could be some irish owners in these

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ernie Ball wrote:

We meet up on the second Sunday of every month at noon at the Pope's Cross in Phoenix Park (as well as the first Wednesday evening of the month in Strawberry Beds). You're more than welcome to pop along, I know the others would be interested in seeing non-MX5's ;-)

We tend to go on a run on those Sundays depending on interest, but it's usually a bit of a chat/tyre-kick. Oh yeah, we do have one real hairdresser in the group but unfortunately her car was nicked a few weeks ago.

PY2006: that's the other thing - make sure the car is alarmed/immobilised, as they are flavour of the month with scumbags.

See here:

http://www.mx5ireland.com/members/frank/theft/2004Nov

Good luck with the motor - why not join the mailing list that we have ?

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mx5ireland

Advertisement