Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MR2 v MX5 v MG F

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

franksm wrote:
    PY2006: that's the other thing - make sure the car is alarmed/immobilised, as they are flavour of the month with scumbags.

See here:

http://www.mx5ireland.com/members/frank/theft/2004Nov
    Oh nooo!!! Why did you show me them pics :( Your scaring me now! It doesn't have an alarm.

And them scumbags knew the cam was there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

prospect wrote:
    MR2 Driver's Club

Kew Kinnerslet, PO Box 999, Huntington, Cambs PE17 2PX

http://users.powernet.co.uk/stable/uk_mr2.html

MR2 MK1 Club
    Ken Salmon, 35 Alma Street, Luton, Beds, LU11 2 PL Tel 01582 454971
    Website http://www.mr2mk1club.com E-mail rmorgan.park301@ntlworld.com

That's an MR2 Mk1 club. Totally different beast.

Thanks anyway. There are definitely MR2 clubs in the UK. There's http://www.mr2roc.org, for one. It'd be nice if we could get one going here. Problem is: I almost never see them. I've seen 2 in the last two weeks other than mine.

Mine doesn't have an alarm either. But it does have an immobiliser, which won't deter thieving scum from breaking in but will (I'm told) keep them from taking the car.

I've always thought alarms were useless, but maybe I'll reconsider.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ignorance ain't bliss, sorry dude :eek:

Go to Halfords and get their silver/grey steering lock (it's a good'un) and talk to this guy about alarms (he fits Clifford, which are *the best* but can probably also takl to you about other options): Brendan – 087-2384394 (Telas is the company name). I believe he's based near Liffey Valley.

I fitted a Clifford myself and it's a great system. Bit of a pain as I have to type a pin number in every time I start the car or if a door opens (otherwise the engine cuts out 30 secs later).

Ye can hum and ha about spending an extra wad of money on alarms and the like, but you would be best just to do it and be done with it. More important than a flash new stereo with dancing dolphins and other bling ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Mine doesn't have an alarm either. But it does have an immobiliser, which won't deter thieving scum from breaking in but will (I'm told) keep them from taking the car.

I've always thought alarms were useless, but maybe I'll reconsider.

Any recommendations?

Sorry to hijack this thread with security stuff... the Mk1 MX5's are much more likely to be broken into as it was only late in theur life that they came with immobilisers as standard. So, they get broken into as the scumbags think they may not be immobilised, then find out that they are, but by that time they've damaged the car.

The Mk2 and later MX5s are much less likely to be broken into as they all have immobilisers as standard. Some idiots will still break in anyway though... to nick the radios and spare change in the ashtray. I think a huge proportion of the MK1 owners in our "club" have had some negative experience; I believe none of the MK2 owners have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I bought one of these

Might turn out to be the best fiver I ever spent.

(Though I'm a "less risk" catagory... )

franksm wrote:
    Ignorance ain't bliss, sorry dude :eek:

Ye can hum and ha about spending an extra wad of money on alarms and the like, but you would be best just to do it and be done with it. More important than a flash new stereo with dancing dolphins and other bling ;-)

True, but the garage will be paying for the cool stereo!! :D

franksm wrote:
    Sorry to hijack this thread with security stuff... the Mk1 MX5's are much more likely to be broken into as it was only late in theur life that they came with immobilisers as standard. So, they get broken into as the scumbags think they may not be immobilised, then find out that they are, but by that time they've damaged the car.

The Mk2 and later MX5s are much less likely to be broken into as they all have immobilisers as standard. Some idiots will still break in anyway though... to nick the radios and spare change in the ashtray. I think a huge proportion of the MK1 owners in our "club" have had some negative experience; I believe none of the MK2 owners have.

I was just about to ask somebody on this thread about immobilisers. I will be picking up my 99 MX5 which I think is a MK2 later this week. Its a Jap import. Can I be safe in the knowledge that it has an immobiliser? I cant believe I forget to ask the guy if it had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It should have an official 'mazda immobilizer' sticker or somesuch on the windscreen, provided the previous owner/car dealer didn't remove the sticker/the immobiliser (can't see why you would).

Mine's one of the last Mk1 UK-cars/non-imports ('98) off the line and has a factory-fitted one, with Mazda sticker on windows/windscreen...

Also, whilst on topic of immobilisers, friendly advice: DO NOT lose the second key, as you'll not get a spare cut key to work with your Maz'.

At any rate, do ask the garage (& ideally get them to confirm in writing, e.g. on sales invoice/receipt), as if they say there is one and it turns out later that there isn't, that's a misdescription of goods in a sale contract and actionable in Court.

Look fwd to maybe meet in future at MX5 Owner's Club get-togethers (resolved to get myself along one of those soon, if the missus will let me :o ).

Oh yeah, also - it's so easy to break into a convert, alarm or not: just slash the roof (B@st@rds) & grab... so, unless you're as maniacal with car cleanliness & 'clutter' as I am and I'm preaching to the converted, the easiest way around this is, whenever you park, to ALWAYS: take the front off the stereo, leave your glovebox wide open with nothing in, obviously don't have anything of value lying about near back window and lock the middle console to stop access to the boot/tank latches.

Yea I will have to pop along to one of them meetings. Although I went to the last one to check out the cars and nobody turned up.

I dont even know if there is a 2nd key!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

py2006 wrote:
    Although I went to the last one to check out the cars and nobody turned up.

PY2006, join the mx5 forum on yahoo, (the link is on mx5ireland.com).
    Introduce yourself, and then you can see who is going to what meeting.
    The tech day i went to had 6 cars there in the morning, and more in the afernoon...

Cheers

prospect wrote:
    PY2006, join the mx5 forum on yahoo, (the link is on mx5ireland.com).
    Introduce yourself, and then you can see who is going to what meeting.
    The tech day i went to had 6 cars there in the morning, and more in the afernoon...

Cheers

I joined it there last week but I cant figure out what password I used. haha
    I am pretty ignorant when it comes to all things "under the hood". I think I would be the laughing stock of the group!

py2006 wrote:
    I am pretty ignorant when it comes to all things "under the hood"

Me too, no joking...
    But i am learning slowly but surely. I think most newcomers are engine virgins :)

Wooo Hooo!!! I just rang garage. He will have reg number for me by 4pm today so I will be able to tax and insure it online later. And I can collect the car tommorrow evening!!!

I am soooooo fecking excited!

py2006 wrote:
    I dont even know if there is a 2nd key!
    :eek: :confused:

So what are you supposed to do if you loose your 'one' key?

If you don't get a second key, 2 things spring to mind:

1) the dealer was grossly negligent when taking it part-ex, and should obtain one for you at his expense, or even replace the locks and get a new set of keys.

2) the previous owner has kept one and will nick the car and dispose for parts as soon as he finds out where it is (your car port). That's a well-known scam in the UK, has been for donkey's years.

ambro25 wrote:
    :eek: :confused:

So what are you supposed to do if you loose your 'one' key?

If you don't get a second key, 2 things spring to mind:

1) the dealer was grossly negligent when taking it part-ex, and should obtain one for you at his expense, or even replace the locks and get a new set of keys.

2) the previous owner has kept one and will nick the car and dispose for parts as soon as he finds out where it is (your car port). That's a well-known scam in the UK, has been for donkey's years.

Ohhh now your scaring me! Its just a question I forget to ask when I went to see the car. Hopefully it will be ok

arrghhhhhhhhhhh....car delayed till tommorrow!!! Oh the agony of it all!

py2006 wrote:
    arrghhhhhhhhhhh....car delayed till tommorrow!!! Oh the agony of it all!

Deep breaths, it'll be alright.
    MX5 Club are having a tech day either this saturday or the following saturday. That would be worth a visit, as there is usually a very good turnout.

Ernie Ball, you are also most welcome to pop along and show off your motor.

Prospect, can you give me a quick, basic run down on the spec of a 99 MX5 1.8 jap import.

People have been asking me what the bhp etc is and I haven't a clue lol

Cheers

Engine 1839cc
    Cylinders 4 DOHC
    Power 133 BHP @ 6,500
    Weight 980 kg
    0-60 mph 8.2 seconds

Being a Jap import it prob has, electric windows, immob, air con, no fog lamps, abs, low milage and no rattles! :)

• Advertisement

prospect wrote:
    Engine 1839cc
    Cylinders 4 DOHC
    Power 133 BHP @ 6,500
    Weight 980 kg
    0-60 mph 8.2 seconds

Being a Jap import it prob has, electric windows, immob, air con, no fog lamps, abs, low milage and no rattles! :)

Haven't a clue what all that means but sounds good!

Yea it has an immob, electric windows/mirrors, air con. 50,000 on the clock.

Has Bose speakers too!

Where's Tech Day at? I might pop along for a quick natter & gander, swap some stories and grab some advice :)

not decided yet, but if you join up the group, mx5ireland.com, then you will be kept fully informed.

Hopefull will be able to insure it online in the morning as soon as he rings me with the reg number!

Can I pay for the road tax on my new car online or do I have to go into the tax office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Howd it go?? :confused:

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got my MX5 guys!!!!!!!! Woooooooooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo!!!!

Wow that baby is fast on the motorway!! It took a while to get used to the gear stick and pedals as its a bit diff the Focus I am used to driving.

Its a little stunner. Am just waiting on Insurance cert to arrive in post so I can go in and tax it.

Will have pics up over the weekend to show ya'll!!

I wont sleep tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Conga rats :D Thats great, be good to see the pictures :p

Congrats,

Looking forward to the pics...

Nice to see a happy ending. :D Congrats!

• Advertisement

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Nice to see a happy ending. :D Congrats!

Cheers! Drove with the hood down today for first time! WOW. Totally different experience than with it up. Its almost like having two cars!

Did the country roads on the way home, thats where it shines. It is soooo responsive on the narrow twisty bends.

Its soo smooth turning corners. I just want to spin around a roundabout all day!

Advertisement