Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flann O'Brien/Myles na cGopaleen

Options
  • 27-04-2005 4:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

Does anyone know where to get hold of unpublished Myles stuff? I have The Best of Myles (an absolute classic), At War, Hair of the Dogma and Further Cuttings... but I want more. Does anyone know where would be the best place to go (preferably non-library related, there's a long-standing dispute between Dublin Libraries and myself)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

If it's unpublished then you can't get it. Do you mean just rare stuff?

I got Stories and Plays 2nd hand on amazon, it features the unfinished novel Slattery's Sago Saga and a great essay on James Joyce, A Bash In The Cars.

Everything else by and about him is available in the shops here. Anthony Cronin's biography No Laughing Matter, and his brother Ciaran's book The Early Years of Brian O'Nolan/Flann O'Brien/Myles Na GCopaleen are worth getting. Cronin's Dead As Doornails has some stuff about him too though that's mostly about Behan and Kavanagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭ExOffender

I was hoping for some kind of online archive of the actual columns (they'd be available on microfiche or something in... a library :mad: ), but I'll check those out. Cheers.

The library is your only man I fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ocathais

Did my thesis a few years back which involved a lot of BON stuff (It was kindof a development on a 10k essay I had written previously)
    You should be able to cover all if you get a readers pass for the TCD library and the National Library for the stuff TCD misses like Faustus Kelly. This is a few years ago now but at the time I reckoned I had 90% of the primary and critical material covered.

Faustus Kelly is published in Stories and Plays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Will Myles na cGopleen's essay's eventually become as respected as Steinbeck's war journalism, or Scott FitzGerald's so-called lightweight short stories of the 1920's? Both writers' "throwaway" work is now recognised as classic litature in it's own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

He also wrote under the pen-name of George Knowall for some Leinster paper. Not as good as Myles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mnagfan

I have had a battered copy of the Best of Myles now for 15 or so years. If I ever go abroad for an extended period it's one of the first things to go into the suit case !

I wonder if the Irish Times have ever considered reviving a Keats and Chapman column say as a weekly or monthly competition ?

It seems such a shame to let the genre fizzle out !!

Better put my coat on .......there's a nip in the heir !!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

I have a complete works of Flann O'Brien knocking around upstairs that covers all the newspaper articles.Think it was published in '72 thought, doubt its still in print.With increased sales of The Third Policeman Id imagine some bright spark of a publishing house will bring out an anthology soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Von wrote:
    I got Stories and Plays 2nd hand on amazon, it features the unfinished novel Slattery's Sago Saga and a great essay on James Joyce, A Bash In The Cars.

I have the book that's from somewhere, its called a bash in the cars also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Just finished the Poor Mouth (in English), incredible to think he was overlooked and under-regarded for so long. The book is an excellent satire.

The Everyman Library are bringing out his novels in a single book volume, a must read.

Advertisement