Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many slots witht his config?

• 27-04-2005 5:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi all, i just ordered IBB 2048/2048 broadband. Just had a few questions in relation to hosting a counter strike source games server.

Games pc ( Which will run source dedicated server) specs

P4 2.0 GHZ
    512 DDR RAM
    64 MB GRAPHICS
    ONBOARD LAN
    40 GIG HDD

WITH THE 2048 UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD SPEEDS, AND THIS PC, HOW MANY PEOPLE max DO YOU THINK I CAN HOST ON THIS SERVER? BEFORE THE PINGS GET BAD?

Tnx in advance, sub.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

First things first....wait until you are connected before makeing out plans.

IBB are a bit of a hit/miss broadband distributor with some getting incredible fast speeds and other getting mediocre and crappy speeds.

So take it easy until you know what your actual download/upload speeds will be and the ping times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

IF you get full speed, you would easily be talking about 36-40 safely playing.
    As a rule of thumb, for source, you should be able to get 3 players for every 128K of upload you have ( reducing slightly towards capacity ) . it also depends on the stability of your connection, your latency, and if there will be any other use of the internet connection alongside the game server

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

thanks for the replies, i dont expect to get the full 2048 upload speeds, but basicly i want to use it as a 5v5 match server for my clan, so im hoping to get around 10 ppl on max, with low pings. I will be running CSS of a second pc while the server is running, but i think having 10 ppl max, wouldnt be too bad along with me playing on the pc behind the same connection. would i be able to this ok?

Sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

10 clients would be approximately 500kbit/sec ( giving them a good 6kb/sec average bandwidth ) so thats 25% utilisation of the theoretcial max, which is fine, considering you should be ok from the choke side of things, staying below 75%.

Advertisement