Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dandelions

Options
  • 27-04-2005 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Looking for advice on dealing with dandelions in lawn. Lawn weedkiller (2 doses of verdone) seems to have had little effect on them - have quite a few. At present am pulling heads off before they go to seed to try and stop spread - is this in any way worthwhile? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi...If you have a big lawn or a lot of dandelions, you'd have a heck of a job pulling the heads off them as they'd sprout another flower head or two in no time. I have a similar problem, except my lawn (which takes me an hour to mow) is infested with them. I've tried both Verdone and Roundup but with limited success. I think your best bet is to dig up the weed altogether - of course this means a messy lawn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Guys,
    Get a top brand name Lawn Sand Feed & Weed like Levingtons and spread the stuff evenly over your lawn. It'll kill those yellow ba$tard$ in a couple of days. Easy peasy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

A good(though labour intensive) method is to go out after its been raining with a long bladed knife or a slong screwdriver and push it down as far as possible ,give a twist and you should be able to get the plant and all its root.The lawn will heal itself after a few days and if yoou do it properely the dandelions wont come back.Do the same for daiseys only use a sturdy table fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The dandelions seem to be nuclear mutant plants that grow overnight and you can dig them up only to have 10 more in their place..... I swear, last year I spent days digging them out, and this year they are back twice as bad. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

sound like you have a serious problemsometimes dandelions can take over an entire house and kill the occupant,it happened a boy in england.

• Advertisement

The dandys are out in force this year....believe me, trust the lawn sand...but you need to get one with the built in weed killer.

I have yet to put some down in my front lawn this year but use it religously every year. The gardens surrounding me back & front in the neighbours and across the street are mobbed, I have one. This stuff works and keeps on working in the soil afterwards.

KILL THE BUGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Lex Luthor wrote:

KILL THE BUGGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you need anger management counselling to control your hatred of dandelions Lex. he. he.

Why not just get pis.....ed on dandelion wine,

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/dandelio.asp

kadman :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can get a dandelion/weed plucker thing with a four headed jaw for about €30 in B&Q

I know this is a DIY forum, but all these methods you are describing are hard work.....rolling out a bit of sand takes 5 mins and last all summer... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

It took me the full summer 2 yrs ago to get rid of them feckers... gone for good now (not!) & worth the effort.

Get a long knife & remove the tap root, pulling the heads is a waste of time.
    run over the lawn with a broad leaf killer. Use as per instructions religiously every 4-6 weeks.

At the end of October scarify the lawn ( I suffer from moss), do it again in March /early April followed by lawn feed/anything else killer..

Have fun & get used to hearing "mecca's that way"!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement