Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A380 takes off

• 27-04-2005 9:42am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭

The new A380 has taken off for the first time in Toulouse

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Traffic wrote:
    The new A380 has taken off for the first time in Toulouse

wonder why they didn't pull up the undercarriage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

hughchal wrote:

Actually, i was wondering about that too.....maybe it jammed!!! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

From another board:

'the landing gear is generally not retracted on the first few test flights. I imagine the logic being that if the U/C is retracted and then has some sort of a problem and will not extend you then have a damaged (at best) aircraft that will throw your development schedule out by months. If you do as much of the flight testing as possible with gear out you get as much done before introducing the additional risk of undercarriage problems - risk management.'

Big day in the history of aviation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Traffic wrote:
    From another board:

'the landing gear is generally not retracted on the first few test flights. I imagine the logic being that if the U/C is retracted and then has some sort of a problem and will not extend you then have a damaged (at best) aircraft that will throw your development schedule out by months. If you do as much of the flight testing as possible with gear out you get as much done before introducing the additional risk of undercarriage problems - risk management.'

Big day in the history of aviation

ah...i suppose that makes sense...i tink. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's still got to land ... apparently the test pilots who have flown the flight simulator have said it's a pig to land. Should be interesting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Is there video footage of the take-off online anywhere, I went to watch BBC broadband, but the broadcast had finished.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/ have it up now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Fantastic day for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

So it had never flown before?

I would have thought they'd do a quiet test flight somewhere without the media first.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

No its first time in the air

It was assembled in Toulouse so some one wld of noticed the largest civil ac taking to the skies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

They did.. but only after 45 minutes of flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I wonder what the carrier insurance would be for one of those? How many passengers was it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

How many passengers was it again?

When it's in service it could take up to 800 (all economy configuration). However, it's more likely to seat about 550 in a 3 class configuration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Here's some photo's if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Does the "forehead" look wrong in the first picture?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I'm sure the A380 is bigger and better, but the 747-400 still looks nicer. That bit up front (the "forehead") looks weird with no windows.

I'm sure Boeing are ****ting themselves. The A380 may not sell in massive proportions, but it means Airbus now has a plane for almost every market niche, all with similar cockpits, meaning that they now have a total package to offer to airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder how mnay decades until the A380 could land at Dublin? I'd say Knock is a better option.

I think Boeing have made a big strategic error by dropping thier own plans for a super jumbo. Airbus have a plane that can dominate long haul in every aspect for the next 40-50 years.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Alun wrote:
    It's still got to land ... apparently the test pilots who have flown the flight simulator have said it's a pig to land. Should be interesting :)
    Errr how exactly does that follow - even if they have got working simulators - which I doubt - they dont know how accurately they reflect the real aircraft. Some of the test flights will be specifically full of logging instruments to finalise the Simulators software.

At best any sims they have got are still in alpha/beta testing.

I was lucky enough to be in Toulouse 2 weeks ago visiting Airbus and saw it taxi-ing around the perimeter under its own power. It trundled up towards the runway just as our flight was taking off - awesome sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote:
    I wonder how mnay decades until the A380 could land at Dublin? I'd say Knock is a better option.
    The new runway is designed to take them, but may be initially be built to a lesser standard, i.e. the wouldn't build the edge bits.
    I think Boeing have made a big strategic error by dropping thier own plans for a super jumbo. Airbus have a plane that can dominate long haul in every aspect for the next 40-50 years.
    There may be only space in the market for one such aircraft. Having two such aircraft might just make them both loss makers.

Advertisement