Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea =V= Liverpool

• 27-04-2005 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭

My head tells me Chelsea, but at the same time i have a feeling 'pool can cause an(other) upset. Gonna put money on both legs being 1-1 and pool thru on peno's. We know we can score against chelsea and hopefully the ref will b on the ball and actually give deserved penalties (pool have won all euro games under this ref this year).
    Chelsea on the other hand are a great team and playing comfortably, so can't really see them having a bad day, but anything can happen in cup football - maybe stevie g will score for the reds this time!
    Chelsea also have all the pressure of being total favourites tho based on the 3games so far this season its been fairly even, meanwhile pool can just chill out and enjoy it, if they lose its expected, if they win they're even bigger heroes then they already are.

Key players: Gerrard, Alonso, Hypia
    Terry, Lampard, Robben

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool to win 1-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool to win 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Chelsea to win 2-0, Terry and Robben.

Duff is only 50-50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

chelsea to win 3-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I'd hope for a draw, 1-1, but if Chelsea start like they did against Barca, then God help the 'pool. Duff is 50-50, yeah right, he'll play, its just Boreinho at the mind games again.

• Advertisement

BolBill wrote:
    I'd hope for a draw, 1-1, but if Chelsea start like they did against Barca, then God help the 'pool. Duff is 50-50, yeah right, he'll play, its just Boreinho at the mind games again.
    Possibly but he might start Robben and Cole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

It will be tight but i say 4-0 Chelsea

Badabing wrote:
    ROFL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Badabing wrote:

tight eh? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

After doing some research and weighing up all the possibilities I reckon I have'nt clue what'll happen.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Gerrard will be on a double mission, to win the CL and impress Chelsea so he can go there and win the CL. Allegedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Gerrard will be on a double mission, to win the CL and impress Chelsea so he can go there and win the CL. Allegedly.
    No chance.....he's going out to win it for Liverpool. We have the quality back in midfield now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

~Rebel~ wrote:
    based on the 3games so far this season its been fairly even,

And Alonso & Gerrard have only played 28 minutes of those games together. First 28mins in Anfield. And we all know what had to happen for Chelsea to win that game.

In case you don't, and by means of therapy ;) , One certain penalty, another that should have been given (pongolle), one sending off for deliberately handling a goal bound shot, one broken ankle for one of the seasons most impressive performers and a deflected shot from outside the box.

All in all, Liverpool have demonstrated that they can stand upto Chelsea this season. Chelsea are rightly favourites, but it'll be the odd goal that decides this tie, if not away goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Chelsea are very like Milan - they do just enough.

If both teams play at 100% then Chelsea will win.
    If Chelsea don't the Pool have a chance.
    If the Pool are below par it could be a rout.

Is Baros fit? If not Pool have no-one up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

TheMonster wrote:
    Is Baros fit? If not Pool have no-one up front.

Cisse?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Chelsea have been very efficient this season. We have seen how they can often go a goal behind and step up a level to get 2 or 3 goals themselves.

To be perfectly blunt, I don't think Liverpool have a hope over the two legs. Not only will they be outclassed, but the Chelsea players seem to have far more hunger and desire to win.

I guess Liverpool will sit very deep tonight, allowing Chelsea to use their entire attacking prowess from midfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

whos on a yellow card think youll see some diving going on to get people banned for the next leg.

close game im hoping for a score draw good bet is on paddypower liverpool 4 to 1 and its draw no bet so the only way you loose money is if chelsea win

Take it wrote:
    whos on a yellow card think youll see some diving going on to get people banned for the next leg.

Carragher, Finnan, Alonso and Warnock are all on yellows - 3 of potential back 4! odds are one is gonna pick one more up. wouldn't worry bout xabi too much, he doesn't get them that often.

As for Cissé starting, i dunno if he could last a full 90 yet...would love to have option of baros and cisse together tho with garcia behind them coming in from the side. there are potential goals in this team with xabi's passing. think that will be the real difference to the other chelsea games - are a diff team with him in the side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

i'm not even thinking forward to this game as Liverpool will never beat Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

i'm not even thinking forward to this game as Liverpool will never beat Juventus.
    ;) we already have

• Advertisement

Wheres the ref from? I wonder will the game be reffed allowing for the full blooded tackles of the English game or will we see cards flying all round the place.

What are the odds on Gerrard scoring another OG are, can't seem to get them.

bazH wrote:
    ;) we already have

shurely not, Juventus are different class :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Liverpool will never make it out the group stage?
    Liverpool will never beat Olympiakos?
    Liverpool will never beat Bayer?
    Liverpool will never beat Juve?
    Liverpool will never beat Chelsea...................................................!!!!!

Liverpool are never given any credit if we beat someone they played bad, if we lose we are crap, well come on you Reds, Just 2 more games to he final and we have the measure of Chelsea so lets show no fear....

1-0 to the Pool
    YNWA

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

TheMonster wrote:
    Wheres the ref from? I wonder will the game be reffed allowing for the full blooded tackles of the English game or will we see cards flying all round the place.

He reffed 2 matches for us this season...
    we won them both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Satire! Or Sytems error....;)

Interesting factiod - this has been Liverpools 33rd European campaign.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

the only thing i am worrying about is the goalkeeper.. other than that, we can match chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

TheMonster wrote:
    He is French. (The following is from the UEFA Press Kit for the match): Alain Sars, the referee selected for this match, will be 44 next Saturday. He has been a referee for 30 years; made his first division debut 14 years ago; and won his FIFA badge in 1993. Although he has handled over 70 international matches, this match represents his first visit to London and his first contact with Chelsea FC. On the other hand, he has officiated at two matches involving Liverpool FC – both of them outside England. He was the referee when the English side defeated Grazer AK 2-0 in Austria on 10 August 2004 in a qualifying match for the UEFA Champions League and, more recently, officiated at Liverpool FC’s 3-1 win against Bayer 04 Leverkusen in Germany in the second leg of this season’s first knock-out round. Alain Sars was also in action during the quarter-finals, officiating at the first leg of the derby between AC Milan and FC Internazionale Milano, which the former won 2-0.
    What are the odds on Gerrard scoring another OG are, can't seem to get them.
    Not sure on the O.G. but here's the odds with Ladbrokes on first scorer:
    Didier Drogba 5.5/1, Eidur Gudjohnsen 7/1, Mateja Kezman 8/1, Frank Lampard 8/1, Arjen Robben 8/1, Mikael Forssell 8/1, Milan Baros 9/1, Djibril Cisse 9/1, Joe Cole 10/1, Damien Duff 10/1, Luis Garcia 11/1, Steven Gerrard 12/1, Anthony Le Tallec 13/1, Harry Kewell 13/1, Vladimir Smicer 15/1, Tiago 17/1, John Terry 17/1, John Arne Riise 21/1, Xabi Alonso 21/1 , Alexei Smertin 21/1, Darren Potter 21/1, John Welsh 26/1, Geremi 26/1, Igor Biscan 26/1, Robert Huth 26/1, Antonio Nunez 29/1, William Gallas 34/1, Jamie Carragher 34/1, Sami Hyypia 34/1, Claude Makelele 34/1, Stephen Warnock 41/1, Nuno Morais 41/1, Glen Johnson 41/1, Ricardo Carvalho 51/1, Steve Finnan 51/1, Djimi Traore 67/1, No Goalscorer 7/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Shamrok wrote:
    He is French. (The following is from the UEFA Press Kit for the match): Alain Sars, the referee selected for this match, will be 44 next Saturday. He has been a referee for 30 years; made his first division debut 14 years ago; and won his FIFA badge in 1993. Although he has handled over 70 international matches, this match represents his first visit to London and his first contact with Chelsea FC. On the other hand, he has officiated at two matches involving Liverpool FC – both of them out............

I hope someone has told Benitze to stay out of Alain's dressing room at half time. No talking in the tunnel either . Jose doesn't like that sort of thing. :D

Take it wrote:

Liverpool Players Already On A Yellow:
    • Alonso
    • Carragher
    • Finnan
    • Hamann
    • Warnock
    Chelsea Players Already On A Yellow:
    • Carvalho
    • Gallas
    • Johnson
    • Smertin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

BrookieD wrote:
    Liverpool will never make it out the group stage?
    Liverpool will never beat Olympiakos?
    Liverpool will never beat Bayer?
    Liverpool will never beat Juve?
    Liverpool will never beat Chelsea...................................................!!!!!

Liverpool are never given any credit if we beat someone they played bad, if we lose we are crap, well come on you Reds, Just 2 more games to he final and we have the measure of Chelsea so lets show no fear....

1-0 to the Pool
    YNWA

It could also mean that they've got to run out of luck at some stage!! ;)

I honestly reckon that if Liverpool really go for it and attack Chelsea they could get the win. They're not a bad price for the win either.

BaZmO* wrote:
    It could also mean that they've got to run out of luck at some stage!! ;)

With the injuries this season, lucky is the last thing we have been, in all fairness.

Shamrok wrote:
    With the injuries this season, lucky is the last thing we have been, in all fairness.

Well in all fairness, if getting to the semi-final of the CL with "all the injuries" is not lucky well then I don't know what is!! ;)

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Well in all fairness, if getting to the semi-final of the CL with "all the injuries" is not lucky well then I don't know what is!! ;) B.

Not lucky but a tactically astute manager, who in his first season had to make do with stretching the panel to its absolute limits.

He has proved to be tactically astute when it comes to CL but in the bread and butter of the league has been found wanting. Thus against a premiership team they will flounder.

Shamrok wrote:
    Not lucky but a tactically astute manager, who in his first season had to make do with stretching the panel to its absolute limits.

But not in the premiership!

B.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Shamrok wrote:
    Liverpool Players Already On A Yellow:
    [*]Finnan
    I can't see Finnan getting through 2 matches facing Duff and Robben without getting booked.

Good pic of the two Irish:
    http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Photo/competitions/UCL/296818_BIGLANDSCAPE.jpg

TheMonster wrote:
    He has proved to be tactically astute when it comes to CL but in the bread and butter of the league has been found wanting. Thus against a premiership team they will flounder.

you wil not see a premiership game this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

VERY VERY Nervous now .... only ~4 hours to kick off ... Liverpool have every chance but my head says Chelsea by 1 or 2 ... IF gerrard plays to his potential and alonso plays like he can , then Pool might nick it though ... Hopefully Rafa the magician can pull off another european trick and magic us into the final ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Maybe a case of blind optimism but i put a bet on 3-1 to Liverpool and SG to score first @ 400-1. And alonso to be man of the match @ 8-1.

I'd be happy with a draw

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Amazing how optimistic you can be when you're standing in the bookie's :)

• Advertisement

Alonso man of the match is a good bet though. Pretty much all been MOTM performances since he came back.

Finished work in 5 mins so this is the last msg on boards till tomorrow, hopefully when ill be writing "GO ON THE FCUKING POOL!!".

Girlfriends birthday today so might take some nagging to get to watch the game, but she can never say no to my puppydog eyes!...im so whipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Tonight....

Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool

2nd Leg.....

Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea

COME ON THE POOL!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Man U are better than Liverpool and Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,285 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah they are, who are they playing tonight,

oh yeah, nobody, cos they were knocked out :)

Deadly :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Sposs wrote:
    Man U are better than Liverpool and Chelsea.

guess that solves that so.

mods please close thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

quarryman wrote:
    guess that solves that so.

mods please close thread.

F**k that close the whole forum,
    infact close boards.ie

INFACT footballs over man u are the winners.

good luck with your domestic cups there manu we'll take the CL.

right so I'm off - I look forward to returning to read whatever this thread has become by morning :)
    Kone wrote:
    Tonight....

Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool

2nd Leg.....

Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea

COME ON THE POOL!!!!!!!!!!

I'd agree with your first leg - which is a decent result away in Europe. But I'm not convinced that the second leg would be that easy. *dunno* - we'll be wiser come the morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mayordenis wrote:
    F**k that close the whole forum,
    infact close boards.ie

INFACT footballs over man u are the winners.

good luck with your domestic cups there manu we'll take the CL.
    Bololololo!!

Man U is huge!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

All your base are belong to Man U

Draupnir wrote:
    All your base are belong to Man U

apart from the carling cup base .... and the premiership base .... and the CL base .... :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement