Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea =V= Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Easy win fror Chelsea 3 - 0

Ideally I'd like to see Chelsea beat Liverpool and get to the final,then see them get beaten there !

(Begrudging Man Utd fan !!)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

I did leave something out of my post which ill shout more then once over the nextcouple of hours GAWN THE F*UCKING POOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Teams:

LIVERPOOL: Dudek, Finnan, Hyypia, Carragher, Traore, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Biscan, Garcia, Baros

SUBS: Carson, Kewell, Cisse, Smicer, Le Tallec, Nunez, Warnock

CHELSEA: Cech, Johnson, Terry, Carvalho, Gallas, Tiago, Lampard, Makelele, Cole, Drogba, Gudjohnsen

SUBS: Cudicini, Smertin, Kezman, Geremi, Robben, Forssell, Huth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

CHELSEA: Cech, Johnson, Terry, Carvalho, Gallas, Tiago, Lampard, Makelele, Cole, Drogba, Gudjohnsen

where are chelsea's wingers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dudek,
    Finnan- Hyypia-Carragher-Traore,
    Garcia---Alonso---Biscan---Riise
    Gerrard
    Baros

Anyone think thats wrong?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

anyone know if tv3 or utv are showing the match? Just checked the irish times magazine and they don't mention it there, would've thought one of them would definitely have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Network 2 have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

anyone know if tv3 or utv are showing the match? Just checked the irish times magazine and they don't mention it there, would've thought one of them would definitely have it.
    They only have the rights to Tuesday matches for the duration of the CL. RTE will be showing the Wednesday match as usual.

Great news for Liverpool fans that Duff and Robben aren't starting. Must be the first time ever that this Chelsea team started together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

1-0 to chelsea, although id love liverpool to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's on RTE2.

If you check the Irish Times website on the front page they have todays tv listings in pdf format.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

Thanks guys, thought it was going to be another one of those matches where you have to listen to some guy describing what a mouth watering goal it was! :D

They're doing a Gerrard v Lampard on Radio 5 atm.

Gerrard votes:
    Martin Jol
    Alan Green
    Mike Ingham
    Mark Lawrenson

Lampard votes:
    Sam Allerdyce

Undecided:
    Mark Hughes

Suprising imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭zokrez

*deep breath*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

From Eurosport:

8' Hmm. A very subdued opening. Not the frantic start we were hoping for. This game needs a couple of players to kick each other up in the air...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Entertaining half - Chelsea shading it
    Could be 3-2 to Chelsea
    What a miss by Lampard.

Alonso has been the worst player on the pitch - kep giving the ball away and getting caught in possession. Cole and Risse are causing most of the problems. Liverpool back 4 have looked shaky under pressure,, Chelsea have bee solid yet still gave away 2 great chances.

1/2 time prediction 2-0 Chelsea

• Advertisement

Just after running down from the pub to give my opinion on the match, I'm a bit short of breath!! Actually passed WWM on the way down!!

Not a bad match. Bit cagey at first with both teams giving the ball away too easily.
    Liverpool really need to make more of Riise on the left side against Johnson.(Chelsea's weakest link imo) He's gotten the better of him twice but there was nobody in the box to meet the cross.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

just saw lampards miss, amazing. granted he was waiting for it to come down but still this is lampard were talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

I can see it being a 1-1 draw or 1-0 to chelsea

just saw lampards miss, amazing. granted he was waiting for it to come down but still this is lampard were talking about.

I think Dudek done enough to put him off tbh.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Cisse on, think he could be more important than Robben in this leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Lampard v Gerrard? More like Makelele v Alonso, both much, much better players than their English goal-scoring counterparts.

Good stifling performance by Liverpool, that dubious yellow for Alonso could really cost them though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The yellow card was pure gee bag,
    I'm not happy about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Alonso (bar Garcia) was liverpools worst player - kept giving the ball away and was caught in possession a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

not a great game but Liverpool can be happy. be a different proposition with robben and duff back i reckon.

the main talkin point for me was who the feck gave Ray Houghton such a dodgy hair cut. Musta been Brutus the Barber Beefcake or something!

Damn strange game! Alonso clearly not at the races, nor Gerrard who has the demeanor of a man who's thinking about other things. Carra exellent for most part esp that box clearance second half. Riise's passing was shocking, Baros was well Baros. Cisse has to play the full 90 next week. 0-0 okay but you feel it wont be enough somehow. That said Chelsea will have to improve some to
    really threaten....

Mike.

I thought Alonso played well. I missed the first 10 minutes of the second half if he did something wrong then? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

I'd have to say i'd disagree with all the Alonso bashing. He kept the game ticking over for Liverpool and dictated the pace of the game when Liverpool had the ball something which Stevey sometimes fails to do. He wasn't doing the 60-70 yard passes which we see from him against weaker teams but i feel he was one of Liverpool's more effective players tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

again we see how ordinary chelsea are when things dont fall into place for them. the one thing tonight chelsea didnt have was that blocked ball dropping off to chelsea players and the odd deflection that falls kindly for a chelsea player.

liverpool were slated by dumphy and the others agreed. imo they matched chelsea and were perhaps the better side, having the better chances. cech had to make 2 good saves which were on target. dudek had nothing to do.

passing was poor from both in midfield, lacked ideas and invention. liverpool need to score twice at home to have any chance imo. i doubt if chelsea will be held twice. i can see them scoring but at anfield you gotta fancy liverpool. chelsea can be ruffled if their put under pressure and you shut their wide men out of the game. i'll say liverpool will win 2-1 at anfield.

at first i didnt want to see 'pool win the champions league, just get to the final and be knocked out but i'd LOVE to see them win it, everton finish 4th and cause chaos in the fa plus between 'pool/everton over who'd be in it next season. after tonight, that dream has taken another step to turning into reality.

Alonso misplaced quite a few passes esp when trying to pick out Riise, also he clearly tired in the second half. That yellow was very unlucky but of course if Pool win the tie then he'll be free for the final! :) Apart from Carra I think Biscan was quietly effective.

Mike.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Never saw such bad passing as in the last 25 minues of that match, and considering who was playing it was alarming. The finishing was pretty pants as well, PSV could take some consolation from that.

• Advertisement

Funny old game. Liverpool would have been delighted before the match for a draw albeit a scoreless draw but there were some dreadful performances all around. Can't help thinking that Chelsea will score at Anfield and won't have to win the game. Chelsea were awful in the second half. There is no doubt either side would have got turned over by Milan. I am forever in hope though. Here's my scores:

Cech 6
    Johnson 6
    Terry 7
    Carvalho 6 - definite penalty
    Gallas 6
    Tiago 5 (Robben 5)
    Makelele 7
    Lampard 5
    Gudjohnsen 5
    Drogba 5 -not happy that he got Biscan carded (ball into touch did it though)
    Cole 6 (Kezman 6).

Liverpool:
    Dudek 6
    Finnan 7 - played well
    Hyypia 6 - I am a fan despite slipups
    Traore 6 - couple of good tackles made up for frailities
    Carragher 8 - Liverpool would have lost without him
    Riise 7 - how did he score THAT goal
    Gerrard 5 - dreadful - made a bags of the 2 corners
    Alonso 5 - shouldn't have been booked but totally ineffective
    Biscan 7 - seems to play well without gerrard, stupid over the ball into touch
    Luis Garcia 5 - dreadful, reckon he is living on the goals scored
    Baros 5 - has to go (Cisse 6 - looked dangerous).

Ref: Alain Sars (5) - couple of poor decisions

Overall delighted to still be well in, Anfield should be worth half a goal but would have loved 1-1

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I must of been drunk or something i though garcia was good . . . odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

A pretty poor game overall.. Liverpool will come away the happier purely because Chelsea are the better team and the pool were playing away from home...

About the passing today, it was ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Zakrze wrote:
    Gerrard 5 - dreadful - made a bags of the 2 corners

and you think on 40 grand a week - he could take a corner. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mayordenis wrote:
    I must of been drunk or something i though garcia was good . . . odd.

He was no worse than the rest anyway. Alonso was certainly worse than Gerard today. Gerard wasn't exactly good though.

From post match Jose speak:

Jose Mourinho believes all the pressure is now on Liverpool after the Reds came away from Stamford Bridge with a well-earned goalless draw.
    The Chelsea boss claimed he was absolutely delighted with the result and believes it will be his team and not that of Rafael Benitez which heads to Istanbul in May to compete the final.

Mourinho told a packed Chelsea pressroom: "That was a very good result for us. It was not the result we fought for but we know we can now go through if we win at Anfield or even score in a draw.

"In this moment, I feel the pressure is on them not us. Why do I say that? It's because 99.9% of Liverpool fans think they are already in the final because of Wednesday night's result. I like this situation very much. It is one thing to play for a 0-0 draw and it is another to play for a win.

"Liverpool played well tonight. They didn't play an offensive game but they played an intelligent game. Football is for intelligent people and Liverpool were intelligent. Everything was slow, slow, slow. Although they played defensively I cannot say they didn't try to play football. They fought very well. They defended very well but they lost Xabi Alonso for the next game at Anfield. They'll have to cope without him just like we've had to cope without Duff.

"I'm looking forward to going to Anfield. I'm not bothered what the Liverpool fans may say to me during the game as it can't affect what happens on the pitch. The Liverpool fans should support their team rather than concentrate on me because their team will need their support. It will be a fantastic atmosphere at Anfield and it's exactly the sort of venue you want to play in if you're a top player.

"Both teams will start the match wanting to qualify for the final but my own personal feeling is that we'll be going to Turkey not Liverpool."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I thought it was a good game. I am delighted Liverpool got the draw. Was a bit surprised to see Baros come off. I thought he was fantastic. Garcia was utter ****, really dissapointing. Sad to see Alonso miss the next game. His passing ability is amazing. I thought Chelsea would win tonight. Advantage Liverpool at this moment in time.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Zakrze wrote:
    There is no doubt either side would have got turned over by Milan. I am forever in hope though.

This is a full 24 hours after Milan were shown up at home by a toothless PSV side. Have people no memories or do they insist on this ideal of valuing teams by names on paper?

Ugly or not, Milan score the goals and get the result.

• Advertisement

Mourinho: "They fought very well. They defended very well but they lost Xabi Alonso for the next game at Anfield. They'll have to cope without him just like we've had to cope without Duff."

People should be reading into these quotes when they are talking about Duff being sold, etc. The only time he mentioned Robben's injury was when he was asked about it and even then he would say Chelsea are not a one man team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

GUESS SOME PEOPLE DONT LIKE HUMBLE PIE

Poor scouser Tommy has been echoing around my gaff for days.

Cant wait for the weekend to come so I can get to the homeland.

All together,

RAFA RAFA BENTIEZ
    XABI ALONSO
    GARCIA
    and NUNEZ
    MORIENTES, MORIENTES

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

I'll have some of that Emmo! Hopefully we'l witness one of Anfields greatest european nights and we can send maureen back to london with his tail between his legs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

im not backing the rent boys to win again :( had a draw at half time anc chelsea to win full time............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hard earned draw.
    They made Cech work once or twice which was good :)
    Damn Alonso had to get a card for a dubious foul.
    Referee and linesman on near side(nearest tv camera) were
    a bit blind at times to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Yea overall game was very 50/50 neither side showing any real quality with final 1/4 of pitch. chelski looked the more threatenin for periods liverpool could never really get passing, liverpools midfield were lucky not to be more exploited if u ask me, thought all 5 played poorly, reise misplaced passes as did biscan and alonso. Garcia ran with the ball rather than playing an ealrier ball to open players. Gerrard drifted out of the game for long periods. Can still see liverpool nickin it, will be tough tho really cant afford to give chelsea anythin next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

This is a full 24 hours after Milan were shown up at home by a toothless PSV side. Have people no memories or do they insist on this ideal of valuing teams by names on paper?

Shown up as what exactly? A team that do enough when it's needed? You really think they'll be as slack against a Chelsea team gunning to replace Milan as the #1 team in Europe (in many people's minds)? Well known that Milan save their best performances for the big games. That's why they got rolled by Depor a few seasons back.

Delighted Liverpool got away without conceding. Mourinho can talk some sh*t, pretty sure he's raging Chelsea didn't win or at least score tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Chelsea team gunning to replace Milan as the #1 team in Europe
    #1 Effective team in Europe to be more accurate
    Neither AC or Chelsea is the best team in Europe.
    Seems European football is going back to its dark defensive days.
    Porto win CL,Greece win EC .
    Tonights match was a bore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

So who is? PSV? Liverpool :D
    Hardly. It might have been nil all tonight but it was a reasonably exiting game for a scoreless draw. As have all of Chelseas and Liverpoools games been so far in the knock outs (bar Juve in Turin).

Last nights game was exiting too, lots of chances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

#1 Effective team in Europe to be more accurate

I did say in "many people's minds". I doubt there are very many football supporters outside Porto/Greece who'd argue that these teams are the best skilled in their categories. Not to say they didn't earn their trophies last season... (well, Porto did at least), but in footballing terms they aren't a patch on the top clubs.

All IMO of course. I just happen to be right :]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Have to say, Carra was IMMENSE. Every last ball that came into the box he was on the end of. It was as if he was marking the whole Chelsea team. Not too worrie dabout Alonso being out, he was'nt affective today and, after all we've come through the last two rounds without him.

I really hope we don't have a Roy Keane type situation where Liverpool win and Carra gets booked and is out of the final. Out of everyone he really doesnt deserve that. It's a pity Alonso did'nt get the booking with about 30 - 40 mins left, we might have seen a Keane-esque performance with detemination to get us to the final.

Happy enough with a draw, hopefully we can turn them over at Anfield. Going to be the most nervous 6 days of my life.

Baros needs shooting, I have never seen a worse first touch from a professional, so bad he never got a second touch.

• Advertisement
Advertisement