Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Third-Party Applications for your Phone

• 27-04-2005 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

I thought I might start a thread on the best downloadable apps for phones. While most would tend to be for Symbian based phones, apps for other phones, in particular J2ME based ones, are to be found out there too.

To start things off, here are two I’d recommend:
    • Spectrian. ZX Spectrum Emulator. Other than the nostalgia value for us thirtysomethings, given that most games for phones are cheap imitations of those made for the home computer market in the 1980’s, this emulator, along with the huge number of Spectrum games that have long been freely available, you’ll never bother buying another game again. Free evaluation & €15 to buy. Compatible with the Nokia 36x0, 7650, 66x0, 7610, 6260, N-Gage and N-Gage QD, Siemens SX1, Samsung SGH-D700, and Sendo X.
    • Bemused. Bluetooth remote control for Winamp from your phone. Very handy for those of us too lazy to get out of bed. Freeware. Compatible with a Series 60 or UIQ phone (e.g. Nokia 7650/3650, or Sony Ericsson P800/P900), and a PC with a Bluetooth adapter.
    (And if there's interest in this thread, I'll sticky it)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Good idea for a thread. More free ones please :)

Posted a few weeks ago on this forum:
    • Mobile Bookshelf. A text reader for your mobile phone. Take your favourite books with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

• Ruttensoft - Homescreen designer
      Homescreen Designer is a WYSIWYG-Application for creating powerful homescreens for Smartphone.
    • Mobiluck
      Bluetooth apllication for sending files/messages etc...
      Mostly handy for bluejacking ;-)
    • Sunnysoft world-offline
      Syncs your selected web pages to your phone for offline reading.
    • Betaplayer
      For playing your xvid and divx movies, among other formats. Also good MP3 player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

not strickyl in keeping with this but
    fma must get a look in

best bluetooth <-> computer app there is

syncs/controls winamp/wma - it rocks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

There are some interesting applications for the SE K700i here

Here's another . Its like a cross between FMA and oxygene fone manager .

MOBILedit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭D_Money5042000

anything for the 6230?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

I have a Nokia 6630 and am looking for any recommended free symbian ops

I have vboy & goboy in terms of games,
    I was looking at tom-tom & route 66 navigation apps, anybody have any experience of these ( as they're not free, would like an opinion before buying)

Anyone else got any must haves?

Oops, just saw the Best Third-Party Applications for your Phone thread.

Feel free to bin/lock mods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭dookie

is there an app. to be able to listen to the radio on my 6680?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭beaker

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭gqma0

download the app from wap.mgmaps.com

or go to

www.mgmaps.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭De Deraco

Great site for free themes the rocky and alien v predator themes are some of the best.
    http://www.symbianthemes.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

De Deraco wrote:
    Great site for free themes the rocky and alien v predator themes are some of the best.
    http://www.symbianthemes.com/
    OT but any theme I download off that site will not work on my 6630. When I try to install my phone says "Installation security error. Unable to install." Whats going on?

EDIT: Nevermind I got it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

The best aplication I have found is FExplorer.
    FExplorer is an excellent application that gives you access to all of the files on your phone (a la when you double click on the "My Computer" icon on your PC).
    Here you can delete files you don't want (like the crappy ring tones that come with the phone) or change the operator logo to one of your own stored images.
    Right click and "Save As" here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 278 ✭✭Niall123

I have a 6630 and Getjar.com is good for any apps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Does anyone know where I can download free SNES and Gameboy emulators.
    vBoy, goBoy and vSun are all commercial (requiring payment). I would rather not use my credit card over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Geominder for s60. Google it. Great app.
    Isilo and Repligo Viewer for s60 also.
    Highly recommended.
    Frozen bubble for s60 is a great freeware game.
    No free emus for s60. Its worth the €4-5 for the emu as you can have 1000+ games on your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Any decent software for the SEk750i out there? It's java based....

Even an infrared remote control one for starters would be great :P

Any decent "toothing" programs?

Provided I have the meaning of "toothing" correct ... sort of like IM over bluetooth.

This is cool for linking your K750i or W800 to I tunes .

http://ilari.scheinin.fidisk.fi/itunemywalkman/

Right ... so googling "toothing" a bit more I find references to "sex with strangers on a bus" and relaying SMS numbers.

All I want is Instant messaging over bluetooth ... even if it's with a paired device :)

sharkman -> thanks but no thanks to itunes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

ciaranfo - this thread is meant to be a resource listing (not asking for) 3rd party applications for mobile phones from ppl's experience, not for your off topic noise. If you're going to post make it relevant or not at all.

Sorry - I'll start a thread looking for apps then, I just expected I'd have been sent to this thread had I done so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Pretor

i wonder if this thread is also for PDA's, well here goes, heres a list of excellent free software for your PDA's:

TCPMP media player: great media application better than integrated windows media player, works well with the PocketDivxencoder app
    Pocket MVP: Another good free media player
    Today music player: a music player on ur today screen that plays mp3, wma and ogg formats, also adds a battery bar
    TaskPlus - v1.41: nice app that shows an extended view of your tasks on the today screen
    cLaunch - v12.03: allows u to launch ur apps quickly from ur today screen
    PocketToolman - v1.0 B225: allows u to access ur settings functions(memory, remove programs etc...) from ur today screen
    Where Is My RAM ? - v1.2: lets u see which folders on ur PDA are taking up the most memory
    Acrobat Reader - v2.0: .pdf reader for PDA
    Pocketdivxencoder: app for desktops which allows u to re-encode media files optimised for the PocketPC (also good for phones), works well with Pocket MVP or TCPMP
    Pocket PC Emulator List: A list of all the emulators available for Pocket PC's, i recommend Gnuboy CE, pocketnester and Snes9xj4u

These are the best apps ive used in my opinion, u can find alot more free programs on http://www.pocketpcfreewares.com/en/index.php

Theres alot of free themes for Pocket PC's here www.pocketthemes.com

Free themes for sony errikson phones here www.lasyk.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

For of the Opera Browser is the best App on any phone. MiniOpera on an S40 phone is excellent and allows great access to Ebay, Google etc Cracked full Opera is amazing and i'm now posting this from the Luas with my 3230 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Just wanted to say also that the forums at twilightwap .. The S60 Forum in particular. My favourite Wap site for Apps is Wap.X51.biz .. if it's not there then you don't need it. Just use the Search facility on it to look for whatever you fancy or if your not sure just do a search for your model number (ie 6600 or 6680) .. enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭-l-Z3k3-l-

for a SE K750i the standard SE software is reatarded
    use a program called MyPhoneExplorer to control your phone (backups installs etc.)

brilliant software

http://members.aon.at/fwechsel/en/index.html

MyPhoneExplorer won't let me edit my "notes" or MMS though - why is it the small things which annoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

C2Doom - think it's at version 1.03 or something now.

Plays any commericial wads from games like Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3d, Nam 67, Hexen, and loads more games based on similar engines. There are toned down versions of Counter Strike, Quake II and Half Life available also.

You can even play Bluetooth multiplayer/Co-Op.

Fantastic app. Freeware. Works on most Symbian mobiles (apart from 7650/3650 due to lack of ram and in the case of the 7650; ram and memory)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

HavoK wrote:
    Fantastic app. Freeware. Works on most Symbian mobiles (apart from 7650/3650 due to lack of ram and in the case of the 7650; ram and memory)
    There's actually a 7650 version of Doom out there too, somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I have just got my w800i and im looking for some nice applications to download , fitness coach or somthing would be nice ! Anyone any good websites for me ?

Just to add id love a chess game for my w800i if someone could point me in teh right direction please

edit : i obviously dont mind paying for these applications.

Advertisement