Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a good text editor?

Options
  • 27-04-2005 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few files I have to look through which are huge (300MB+). Some of the text editors I have don't work or are too slow.

Notepad - No good, formatting is wrong.
    WordPad - Too slow.
    Eclipse - Doesn't work.
    Jext - Crashes.

Anyone recommend anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Give Editplus a go, I'd say it could handle files that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I use Textpad as my file-editor of choice on Windows.

It generally doesn't care how big the file sizes are, supports macros, regexp-style search/replace, and is generally quite quick (performance-wise)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tempest

bonkey wrote:
    I use Textpad as my file-editor of choice on Windows.

It generally doesn't care how big the file sizes are, supports macros, regexp-style search/replace, and is generally quite quick (performance-wise)

jc

Textpad is a great editor performance wise and should be able to handle it easily. I have seen it run into problems (i.e. crash) with ~200 files open and with modifications to them all (reg-ex run over all open files), but other than that it's never let me down.

It is also a little limited with regard to character encodings at times. If you need to use Latin-2 for example Textpad doesn't work very well. Other than that it's the best editor around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I'll second the vote for Editplus - 4 years of hassle free editing under my belt using it!

Textpad and Editplus seem to be the editors of choice in every place I've worked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Pinhead

Notepad++ does the job for me. It has syntax highlighting for every in-use language out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

Pinhead wrote:
    Notepad++ does the job for me. It has syntax highlighting for every in-use language out there.
    id second that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If you don't need much functionality I've found a good old fashioned dos edit works well with large files. Not sure if it'll handle 300Mb though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

gvim and emacs for windows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Textpad has my vote, haven't used editplus yet!

Used Scite editor this year for a short time with the python language...its a good enough editor but textpad still gets my vote.

Farlz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭ai ing

Programmers Notepad

http://www.pnotepad.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

So Hobbes....made any decisions yet???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Gave up and used a combination of Tail/grep. Notepad+ is nice (for just text editing which is what I wanted) but can't handle 300MB file.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Before you give up try this one

Editplus slows down at around 300mb for saving, but all in all thats not bad. I've been involved by a textpad user that 300mb is not problem for him (grr!) but I dunno. That's an awful lot of text and saving the file in 30secs for me is not bad.

<edit>
    That 30secs includes the backup file

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Just saw this thread (searching for a textpad replacement for unix myself). I used textpad in work for editing large files. Have done so for 200MB+ files (wont claim 300MB though it's very possible....we use .vcd files). Anyway, I've found it to be very good.

Also, surprised that nobody's mentioned ultraedit. Found that to be 2nd to none also. I only made the switch because our department bulk bought licences for textpad.

I'd also recommend trying out emacs since it's a unix port, and unix editors tend to be very good at their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Actually I think UltraEdit would be best for this job. It is clever enough to read a file in pages instead of all at once. I can have a 500MB file open in Ultraedit and it is using 11MB RAM.

Where as textpad, reads the whole file into memory first. I have the same 500MB file open in Textpad and it is taking up 686MB of RAM.

So I guess it depends on how much RAM you machine has and what kind of work you are doing on the file.

BTW, I tend to use Textpad myself for day to day stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Going back to the Programmers Notepad - I just downloaded it now and am very disappointed to see that it doesn't seem to have a facility to list all the functions/structures/variables in the file in an easy-access way, like for example the code-browser plugin in JEdit does. Would have thought that would have been included by default. I don't think I'll be changing to it :(
    Might be useful for specific (eg the large files mentioned earlier) but for coding I don't see it being too useful. Also no way to click on a function or whatever and jump to the decleration of that - SourceNavigator allows that, but I don't use that as an editor, although I could.
    Anyway. back to to work!
    K

Advertisement