Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Configure dsl wireless router for IBB

• 27-04-2005 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭

Did a search and could not find the answer, hope it has nt been asked before.

I have IBBs breeze product, its working fine directly to the main pcs network card. IOLBB is being switched off, this is via netgear, wireless dsl router.

I want to use the wireless router with ibbs service, I haev entered the fixrd ip, subnet mask, gateway and dns entries, but Im not getting net access. Anyone familier with the setting required for a netgear wireless router?

Thx

Vex.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Sounds silly, but have you switched off the powere going to the ariel and back on again since you plugged it into the netgear? I needs to be done when changing a device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Yup tried that - didnt work.

V.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The Netgear router, does it have a DSL modem built into it or is the DSL modem separate?

If the DSL modem is built into the wireless router then it won't be any good, you need to get a wireless router that doesn't have a modem builtin, instead it needs a WAN (Wide Area Network) ethernet port. You can then connect the NTL modem to the ethernet port.

BTW if your wireless router doesn't have a Modem builtin, then you need to do the following steps:

1) Connect the ethernet cable from the NTL modem to the WAN port on the router.
    2) Go into the routers administration site (probably 192.168.0.1) and go to the WAN setup section, make sure to set it to get it's IP address etc. by DHCP.
    3) Now turn off the power to both the NTL Modem and router.
    4) Turn on the NTL Modem first and wiat a few minutes, then turn on the router.

It should work now, I have a Netgear wireless router working with NTL myself. If the above doesn't work let me know and I'll get you the specific details this evening when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Similar to whats posted above, but edited to work with IBB:

0) Plug out the IBB "modem" and the LAN ethernet cable. Leave the radio one plugged in. Then plug in the power. Wait at least 30 seconds (and i mean 30, not 3) for it to boot up. Mine goes mad if i try and connect it before it boots up, and refuses to work til i power it down and run through the procedure again.
    1) Connect the ethernet cable from the IBB modem to the WAN port on the router.
    2) Go into the routers administration site (probably 192.168.0.1) and go to the WAN setup section and type in the details as supplied by IBB for your IP and suchlike. These would be in the TCP/IP settings of your ethernet card on your computer if you're not sure what they are.
    3) Go to your PCs ethernet card and set it to DHCP, and turn on DHCP in your routers settins. (if its not on already, and assuming you want to use DHCP for your internal network, if you don't, just set it up as normal).
    4) Browse away.

It should work. Technically speaking :p Mine worked right out of box, once the details were in. Theres no reason why yours wouldn't be the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I think the point is the router doesnt have a wan port, and he is trying to get it to work through one of the LAN ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Truckle thats it you have hit the nail on the head.

Thanks

V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I just came on to make a thread about this very thing. Is it possible to do without a WAN port?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

No.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

If you don't have a WAN port then you are basically scuppered. It just won't work.

I'm in a similar boat myself, I had a DSL Modem/4 port router. But now that I've moved to NTL, it is now useless as it doesn't have a WAN port.

I've learned my lesson now, don't buy integrated gear in future, buy separates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

**** :(

Could I buy a cheap router (with a wan port) and hook it up to my wireless one?

• Advertisement

yup, i can't see why that wouldnt work. But you might be better off getting an all-in-one wireless router with wan port. They're only 60eur from komplett.ie. It'd be easier to set up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Similar to whats posted above, but edited to work with IBB:

0) Plug out the IBB "modem" and the LAN ethernet cable. Leave the radio one plugged in. Then plug in the power. Wait at least 30 seconds (and i mean 30, not 3) for it to boot up. Mine goes mad if i try and connect it before it boots up, and refuses to work til i power it down and run through the procedure again.
    1) Connect the ethernet cable from the IBB modem to the WAN port on the router.
    2) Go into the routers administration site (probably 192.168.0.1) and go to the WAN setup section and type in the details as supplied by IBB for your IP and suchlike. These would be in the TCP/IP settings of your ethernet card on your computer if you're not sure what they are.
    3) Go to your PCs ethernet card and set it to DHCP, and turn on DHCP in your routers settins. (if its not on already, and assuming you want to use DHCP for your internal network, if you don't, just set it up as normal).
    4) Browse away.

It should work. Technically speaking :p Mine worked right out of box, once the details were in. Theres no reason why yours wouldn't be the same.

hi mutant, could you recommend a wireless router with the necessary WAN Ethernet port for the wireless IBB setup that youve detailed?
    im planning on doin this with my breeze package as soon as my new laptop arrives. thanks.

ciarsd wrote:
    hi mutant, could you recommend a wireless router with the necessary WAN Ethernet port for the wireless IBB setup that youve detailed?
    im planning on doin this with my breeze package as soon as my new laptop arrives. thanks.
    I'm using a Linksys WRT54g at the moment. Works perfectly. I had a bit of problems with the wireless when i got it first. But i eventually traced that down to some really dodgy drivers on my laptop. When i changed them, everything went perfectly.

The router itself is easy enough to set up. Does encryption, NAT, SPI Firewall, the whole shebang. As far as i know, it has QoS aswell, if you use a VoIP phone. All in all, not a bad buy for €75.00 + postage from komplett.

I can get transfer rates of just over 2.5MBytes/sec off it anywhere in the house. And i'm told thats pretty good.

superb, thanks for your valuable info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You probably want to buy it from Amazon instead seeing as they're cheaper and offer significantly better after-sales service. I bought a faulty product from Komplett recently and the returns process, now in its third week, has been a complete joke. With Amazon, in the first 28 days, they ship a replacement product before you even return the product to them. And they refund your shipping costs too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

I'm using a Linksys WRT54g at the moment. Works perfectly.

nice one :D thats the router i have and i'm ordering the ibb 2meg breeze package today .

Blaster99 wrote:
    You probably want to buy it from Amazon instead seeing as they're cheaper and offer significantly better after-sales service. I bought a faulty product from Komplett recently and the returns process, now in its third week, has been a complete joke. With Amazon, in the first 28 days, they ship a replacement product before you even return the product to them. And they refund your shipping costs too.

thanks a lot for the feedback Blaster, i will take that on board when ordering :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

linksys WRT54g will do the job, can do PPPOE, DHCP or Static IP on the WAN interface (RJ45 connection).

Circa 120 euro for one of them i think :)

Paul

p.s. for the nerd in you all, you can get a firmware for it and turn it into a linux box :)

"Linux wifi-link 2.4.20 #53 Thu Dec 23 23:25:06 CET 2004 mips unknown"

"~ # uptime 08:52:59 up 101 days, 6:54, load average: 0.11, 0.05, 0.01"

:):) (the above is from my own WRT54g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Sorry for interrupting the thread, I've a Netgear 624 http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT624.php, with my PC in the LAN port and wireless around the house for laptop ect.

Lately my Xfire and MSN drop every hour and my BB refreshes. I'm on IBB Breeze 2meg.

Does anyone know what the problem might be ? My ISP setting are static IP which is programamed in to the router. There is also a firewall built in.

Is there anthing in the router which keeps dropping the signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

2.5 Mbyte/sec, is that a 22Mbit or 54Mbit wireless system you got going there, i have a D-Link DI-614+ router with a D-Link DWL-520+ pci wi-fi card ( above 80% signal quality ) and get about 10-12Mbps (under 1.5 Mbytes/sec) from the 22Mbps wi-fi link.

• Advertisement

Its a 54mbps wireless adapter and router.

I was told before that the 54mbps actually means 27mbps downstream and 27mbps upstream simultaenously. You can't actually get 54mbps downstream ever. If thats true, the theoretical max i could get would be 3.3MBytes/sec downstream and upstream, so getting 2.35MBytes/sec ain't half bad... through two walls and a floor. (transfer speed is pretty much the same when i'm right beside the router)

22Mbit is about standard for 802.11g, 54Mbit is only a theoritical in lab nuber, nobody ever gets that. Take a look around the web, plenty of reviews of various wireless routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I have WRT54g myself and she's a grand router, wireless signal is pretty good around the house and back garden and the browser interface could be operated by a four year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Well on my dlink it usually hovers about 52% downstream, so including efficiency / overhead etc. then that definitely isnt split in that fashion, but nevertheless, its the same with most things. my router's lan ports result in about 35-40% throughput, whereas here at work, the 100MBit lan is a nice 82% efficient ( of course, they are after all using cisco switches lol )

Advertisement