Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gilgamesh ??

Options
  • 27-04-2005 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is this guy / girl a mod or what is going on?

Everywhere i look on boards he is reporting threads
    or threatening to report threads.

What's the deal?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

don't think he is a mod...reckon he is a boardsie vigillante

• Registered Users Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭derv

Looking to get Moderatorship granted to him maybe?

derv wrote:

i'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that but then wht da **** do i know!!! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

derv wrote:

or perhaps just helping the mods out when muppets are posting?
    why would it bother you anyway?

ya i don't know how it works.....................

but the latest i've seen is him threatening to report sailorboy for not replying to an offer he made , for "timewasting".

seems to me he's got a lot of time on his hands if he is on here 24 / 7
    so why bother about timewasting??

i just think he / she is very inapt at times.

• Advertisement

does not bother me in the slightest ,

i was just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

The forums are serving nearly 8 million pages a month now, so there is a lot of content being generated every day. Without people like Gilganesh who spot "problem" posts, there would be a lot of crap posted,as there is no way the admins and mods of all forums are online 24/7.

It also serves to educate posters who have not read the forums rules and charters, that they are likely posting something contravening a charter or rule.

While plenty of people will take offence at this, the vast majority do not mind being pointed in the right direction.

The admins greatly appreciate this help as it usually allows us to act before things get out of hand, and to curtail the trolls and muppets to make using boards a little for useful. You probably are not aware of 99% of the muppet attempts to go on, as it is caught so rapidly by self policing.

Vex

i have seen a lot of muppetry going on , an awful lot actually ,
    hate when people start acting the c*unt and threadspoiling etc.
    it's happened to me enough times............

i was just curious about Gilgamesh , thought he might have been a mod , and when i saw no Moderator written at his name , i thought i'd ask

no offense intended

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Beruthiel wrote:
    or perhaps just helping the mods out when muppets are posting?
    why would it bother you anyway?

"Please leave the modding to the mods", isn't that how it usually goes down PI way?

i was of the same opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

theres a difference between reporting threads, pointing out problems etc, and actually telling people that they will get banned for x,y and z.

context and common sense, people.

please dont hesitate to overdose on both.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

"Please leave the modding to the mods", isn't that how it usually goes down PI way?

damn straight!
    I was refering to Reporting a Post
    which is possible to do under each users name

next time I shall be clearer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

sorry but I am slowly feeling very important here, two threads opened about me in the last few days, wow I am honored.

Derv, I am not a Mod, and be lucky there is nothing to report in here, hehe.

tbh, I don't really see why people are having such a problem with it.
    I am not playing police, but if I notice something then I will comment on it or report it, what's the big deal?

the worst thing is that if there was the slightest small this wrong with this thread you'd have it reported long ago . lol

there is no big deal , i was curious , as i have said a few times.

btw Gilgamesh , don't feel important!!

Gilgamesh wrote:

tbh, I don't really see why people are having such a problem with it.
    I am not playing police, but if I notice something then I will comment on it or report it, what's the big deal?

Tis a shame your sig is breaking some rules.... :)
    Sorry I just noticed :p

RuggieBear wrote:

i wanted to point that out but i thought it's not my place!!
    glad someone did . hehe

RuggieBear wrote:
    Sorry I just noticed :p

what rules is it breaking, just out of interest, so I can ammend it?

derv, you are making me feel important, you did openm a thread discussing me after all,

If you aren't that bothered, then why open it.

I am sure, if I was doing something wrong, it would have been pointed out by either the mods or the admins, who don't seem to have a problem with how I post comment or report.

the FS thing you were talking about, first of all didn't have anythign whatsoever to do with you and has been sorted out, if you get burned by timewasters before then you do react differently .

Jeez, next you will be starting a poll about who like me or accepts my doings in Boards.

Feel free to do so, but you will be proving my pont that you do care abotu this,

Beruthiel wrote:
    damn straight!
    I was refering to Reporting a Post
    which is possible to do under each users name

next time I shall be clearer!

Yeah, but nobody would know if someone was just clicking on buttons. Obviously this is about posting "I'm clicking on the button!"

not at all bothered as i said ,
    just curious to find out if you were a mod (as i also said)

no offense intended , but obviously taken!!

THIS IS THE FEEDBACK FORUM , I AM ASKING FOR FEEDBACK ,
    NOT AN ARGUMENT OVER THE INTERNET WITH SOME PERSON I DON'T KNOW , NOR DO I WANT TO KNOW.

Gilgamesh wrote:
    what rules is it breaking, just out of interest, so I can ammend it?

All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, and you can't have both text and images.

Otherwise i think you are doing a fine job doing the grunt work so that mods and admins can kick arse :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

derv wrote:
    not at all bothered as i said ,
    just curious to find out if you were a mod (as i also said)

no offense intended , but obviously taken!!

THIS IS THE FEEDBACK FORUM , I AM ASKING FOR FEEDBACK ,
    NOT AN ARGUMENT OVER THE INTERNET WITH SOME PERSON I DON'T KNOW , NOR DO I WANT TO KNOW.
    You can tell if someone is a mod by the stars under their name.

Mods: white_star_4.gif
    Proles : blue_star_3.gif

There are other types of mods too.

ya that's what i thought but i said i'd check it out.

thanks for clarifying that.

note to self: white stars = mods

RuggieBear wrote:
    All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, and you can't have both text and images.

Otherwise i think you are doing a fine job doing the grunt work so that mods and admins can kick arse :D

I was aware of that, and if a Admin asks me, I will change it, they are Sig hunting at them moment, and I am sure my Sig can't be overlooked, so Vex or Any Admin, if you want me to change it, please let me know.

Derv, I think we have found out by now that I am not a Mod, just like helping out if I see something.

I only post that I have reported somethign when it is a n00b, and sofar except for drummer, they got wiser by doing so,

most of them PMd me and asked what they did wrong, and I explained it, so, no harm done.

also if they have changed the thread by the time the Mods get to it, then they don't suffer.

I am surely not on Boards 24/7, but a lot of my work has some quite big waiting periods in it, so I fly through boards and other Websites to kill time, not that I would have to explain myself, as I don't think there is a max time limit to be on boards per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gilgamesh reports a lot of posts. Some reports I act upon, others I ignore. But I'd much prefer to have a load of reports I don't use than no reports at all.

Gilgamesh wrote:

I am surely not on Boards 24/7, but a lot of my work has some quite big waiting periods in it, so I fly through boards and other Websites to kill time, not that I would have to explain myself, as I don't think there is a max time limit to be on boards per day.

my job is the same , never said there was anything wrong with being on here , i love this site , i'm on it everyday at work.

seamus wrote:
    Gilgamesh reports a lot of posts. Some reports I act upon, others I ignore. But I'd much prefer to have a load of reports I don't use than no reports at all.

Jesus wept, what a pain. And there are people who actively seek to become mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

whats wrong with reporting threads?? i dont see the problem with what Gilgamesh does unless it is for small things, but if someone is wrecking peoples heads by thread spoiling then we should report them or let them know they are being a muppet. As long as its not nit picking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

seamus wrote:

Congrads Gilgamesh your are now a minion of Seamus

Nukem

Gilgamesh wrote:
    I was aware of that, and if a Admin asks me, I will change it, they are Sig hunting at them moment, and I am sure my Sig can't be overlooked, so Vex or Any Admin, if you want me to change it, please let me know.

okie dokie...but why ask me what sig rule you are breaking, only to tell me you knew you were breaking it already...? ;)

Not to jump on you here or anything but i've brought it to your attention and now you won't do anything about it unless an admin explicitly asks/tells you to.

I thought admins would have better things to be doing than to be asking each user to change their sig....especially when the user already knows he is breaking the rules....oh well.

• Advertisement

Nukem wrote:
    Congrads Gilgamesh your are now a minion of Seamus

Nukem

hmmm..... Is that a good thing? :p

stil think this is funny.
    the second thread been opened to discuss my actions, hehe
    I thought I was giving n00bs a helping hand by posting that their thread was been reported, but if it seems to cheese people off, then I won't do it, hence probably more unnecessary bannings and less people joining boards for longer runs.
    Fair nuff.

Advertisement