Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is 125PS?

Options
  • 27-04-2005 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've prepared myself for a roasting asking this question, but what is 125PS, obviously something to do with performance, but what is PS and what does it stand for?

Thanks

*waits sheepishly for slagging*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

You sure its not PSI?
    Then it would be pounds per square inch as in tyre pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mondeo 1.8 zetec 125PS i think it was described as

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

PS is German for BHP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I've prepared myself for a roasting asking this question, but what is 125PS, obviously something to do with performance, but what is PS and what does it stand for?
    PS is Pferde Starke - German for horse power!
    ie. PS = BHP

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Pferdestärke or Horse Power in German. Not (quite) the same as BHP ... multiply by 0.9863 to get BHP.

Most engine spec sheets now give the power output in DIN (Deutsche Industrie Norm) PS nowadays anyway, so there's not much point in converting for comparison purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Eurorunner wrote:
    PS is Pferde Starke - German for horse power!
    ie. PS = BHP

also used
    in japan

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Actually ...
    according to DIN / ISO or european legislation of your choice :D , PS is no longer a valid unit for measuring the power output of an engine. The official unit now is KW (Kilowatts).
    But nobody really understands Watts outside the context of a hoover or hairdryer, therefore car makers still publish PS / HP / BHP figures alongside the KW.
    And as one KW is somewhere around 1.4 PS, PS just sounds "more"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

peasant, unlike ME, you are so pedantic :D
    It should really be kW, not KW :p
    KW is Kelvin Watts - maybe a good brandname for clothing ;)

causal

Advertisement