Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to avoid clamps

Options
  • 27-04-2005 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

What if you were to drive tractor unit (ie just the cab without the articulated trailer)

The cranes used to lift cars onto flatbeds wouldn't lget it
    The wheel clamps wouldn't fit the huge tyres?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

i have seen a clamp on the mobile cherry pickers with huge and wide wheels. these bloody money grabbers have clamps for everything.
    Although.... I seen a clamp (or rather 1/2 a clamp) on a bmw with really lowered suspension. Obviously they did not want to be sued for damage?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why do you worry about clamps? If you park safely and legally then they won't ocme near you!
    I have to say that the idea of clamping was an excellent one which has had good effects for Dublin's traffic flow.
    Mind you I was clamped in Galway in the shopping center where the cinema is about 2 years ago. Apparently if you decide to continue shopping outside of the center you must take your car with you! The bastárd who put on the clamp/took my €50/removed the clamp scratched the paint on the car also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I remember thinking about whether they could clamp vehicles with larger wheels . I happened to walk past a Control Plus van and there sitting behind the bulkhead was a "super clamp"! They can probably clamp anything from a roller skate to a ferris wheel. There was a foreign reg truck tractor unit clamped for a week around the corner from me in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Buy a hydropneumatic citroen. When you park, set the suspension on low. The wheel arch covers the wheel sufficiently that it cannot be clamped.

Oh, and park legally. That nearly always works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

park legally and pay for a ticket and you'll avoid the clamps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Buy a hydropneumatic citroen. When you park, set the suspension on low. The wheel arch covers the wheel sufficiently that it cannot be clamped.

Oh, and park legally. That nearly always works for me.

Surely the front wheels are still accessable?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

kbannon wrote:
    The bastárd eastern european

Seriously... no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

BrianD wrote:
    Surely the front wheels are still accessable?

Nope. The car should sink to the point where the top 1/3 of the wheel is covered. I am told, but haven't put it to the test, that the clampers are told not to clamp a big Citroën because of the risk of damage. It should also prevent them lifting it, as the car (well my car anyway) sits 1" off the ground when down.

Whether all of this is enough to justify buying a C5 is quite another matter. Dreadful car....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Nope. The car should sink to the point where the top 1/3 of the wheel is covered. I am told, but haven't put it to the test, that the clampers are told not to clamp a big Citroën because of the risk of damage. It should also prevent them lifting it, as the car (well my car anyway) sits 1" off the ground when down.

Whether all of this is enough to justify buying a C5 is quite another matter. Dreadful car....

I was in Scotland a few years back, having a nice pint outside a pub in the sun......... ** day-dreaming about the good auld times **
    What? , Oh yeah,,, Anyway, there was a prade happening, and all cars on the street were being cleared, (there had been notices up notifying that no cars were allowed that day.
    One was a citroen, a BX or XM, can't fully remember. But it was lowered right to the ground.
    So the removal guys pulled the truck up beside her, slid a giant baloon thing under the car and inflated it, allowing them access to clamp the wheels to a hoist and lift it onto the truck!!

Advertisement