Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

83.71.83.24 confusion

• 27-04-2005 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

I've recently had eircom broadband installed and was reading about anonymous blogging and followed a link to an ip displying page. 83.71.83.24 is the number displyed.

Strange as I run a web server and my actual ip is totally different(192.168....). Checked firefox proxy settings, grand. Telneted into a linux box in college, same ip showing(83...). So this must mean all my internet traffic is routing through this box. It has no hostname and a port scan shows no ports open.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on whats happening out of interest.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Your 192.168.x.x is the internal ip of your server. Maybe 83.71.83.24 is/was the ip address of your firewall/router?

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Irish is right about the 192.xx.xx.xx address. The 83.xx.xx.xx address is the WAN address allocated to you by eircom - note that this can change so don't depend on it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

10.x.x.x
    172.16.x.x
    192.168.x.x

Are all private addresses to use on a local network and aren't routable on the internet ( 127.x.x.x and 169.254.x.x aren't usable on the internet either)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Your router is using NAT to translate your external ip address to an internal address to which your http / ftp or other service is running.

Firefox would only see your Internal address as it knows not about your External Address

Advertisement