Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Amp Settings

• 27-04-2005 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭

I know this is probably the wrong place for this but i think we should have some sort forum/thread for amp settings. Where ppl can post amp settings for songs/artist.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Its too personal of a thing. entirely regulated by taste. If theres some kinda sound you are after just ask and im sure we can help out

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Definately too personal and dependant on gear. My amp has bass 5, mids 10, treble 5. Absolutely perfect for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

bass 8 mids 7 and treble 6 for..but look at guitargeek or tonedepot for pro setup digrams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

playing bass: bass 8 mid 5 treb 6

playing guitar bass 5 mid 6 treb 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

everything at 11 for me !!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

sound_wave wrote:
    everything at 11 for me !!! :D

LOL That's the spirit! :)

Bass 5 Mid 5 Treble 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Bass: 7 Mids: 5 Treble: 6

But I have an eq pedal before that which has the bass and treble boosted and the mids in the middle.

Yay. Pretty much everyone is boosting their mids. Lovely stuff :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

mostly just play with the mids at about ..... 0
    ****in mid what a load of kak

• Advertisement

Do you play in a band?

yes and my mid is actually around 3 just dont like the cut of it

And you can actually be heard with no mids?

i most certainly can and as i just said(you probably replied before i edited) my mid is maybe 3/4 and my treble is up around the 7 mark with bass varying

Aye, I didn't see your edit. Thought you had your mids on zero. Sounds grand in a bedroom but you go and play with a band with all your mids cut, you're gonna get lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

feylya wrote:
    Aye, I didn't see your edit. Thought you had your mids on zero. Sounds grand in a bedroom but you go and play with a band with all your mids cut, you're gonna get lost.
    aye i used to cut the mids completely outta my bass, and then realised i could hear feck all so i had to change, now my mids are boosted and ive cut back a bit on treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

This may sound like a stupid question but is the contour level on my amp the same as a mids level? Its just an the overdrive channel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

As far as i know the contour scoops the mids out of whatever channel it effects. i could be wrong though

the contour basically changes the level of Mid applied across the midrange. dips and boosts it in a hump fashion

|
    |
    (
    |
    |

|
    |
    )
    |
    |
    |

etc

jesus no i have to have some mids...it'd sound like your playin in a biscuit tin otherwise...not necessarliy a bad thing :D

• Advertisement

I did a little experiment today. I was wearing a set of headphones, listen to Enter Sandman and I was playing along (helps me with my timings). I could hear the guitar nice and clearly over the sound from the headphones (which were turned up loud enough). I decided to take out all my mids, for the craic like. Nice death metally sound. Continue playing along with the song. Hang on, I couldn't hear my guitar over the song any more :eek:

In conclusion, mids are good :D

good work m8!!! well without your mids your high and lows don't have anything to help them along the way..your instrument won't stand out from the rest of the band without mids

Aye, I knew that. I just never had a handy way to prove it. Now I do :)

Indeed. Leave the low end to the bass player, ye don't want that AJFA sound... seriously.

yes and so do i :D... does it change (your amp settings like) when u change your guitar..mine doesn't really i'd use an eq pedal for that

Nothing wrong with a lump of low end alright.

jcoote wrote:
    yes and so do i :D... does it change (your amp settings like) when u change your guitar..mine doesn't really i'd use an eq pedal for that

TBH, I've only really been using my SZ and my Epiphone tuned to C of late. The EMG guitar is ****ed. Serious amounts of work needed on it.

It's all got to fit though. A lot of guitarists get their "sound" at home when they play by themselves (usually a very low-endy sound) and don't change when they enter into an ensemble situation. So they pile on shyteloads of low end and just cloud up the area the bass and bass drum are squabbling over already. Enter Sandman sounds so good because Bob Rock, to his credit, removed a lot of the low end from Hetfield's sound and and boosted the mids.

Now if you've excuse me I've got to wash my mouth out with soap ;)

TBH, I prefer Hetfield's live tone after the Black album than before because it's more low endy.

I'll agree with the guitarist getting their tone in their bedroom. I was the exact same. Have a mate that's been setting up for his father for years and he really knows about tones. It's scary what he can squeeze out of any amp. Makes me sound good. Hell of a difference between me with a Zoom and an Ibanez practice amp and now with an ME-50 and a Fender :D

• Advertisement

i found that early one sounded great in the bedroom (both because of tone and volume) .. stepped into a band and had to change the lot... although half my volume problem was baggios 'cause he plays so damn loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Pistol Pete

Ahh boyz I like to turn my mids and low end all the way down and treble up to da max and play along to Seek and Destroy on my Yamaha Flying Explorer Pacifico 335 through my deadly distortion I get off my €20 Digitech multi effects processor

By the way I scalloped all the frets on my Yamaha Flying Explorer Pacifico 335 with a swiss army knife and then rubbed I Can't Believe It's Not Butter on them for a deadly quick fretboard

I Can't Believe It's Not Scallops!

Ok lads im sure ye dont care,
    but my next practice is on friday and sure i'll mid it up a notch(or 3/4 notches) and report back.

I'm telling ya, €150 in Argos along with my own customisation work has gotten me a better guitar than anyone else on this board has and if anyone disagrees I'll tell them to **** off. Epiphone are also of far better build quality than Gibson, clearly.

Personally I think Hetfield's tone is at it's best on St Anger where he tunes down to drop c like a big legend and plays that riff on Frantic that sounds like the warning sound that a truck makes when it's reversing

• Advertisement

I like Frantic :(

I like the "keep searching" bit, such heartfelt communication of the sorrow poor James feels because he's lost all the lyrics to the song except the 4 or 5 lines he keeps singing over and over again.

Meh. There's worse albums than St Anger. Steps springs to mind.

feylya wrote:
    Meh. There's worse albums than St Anger. Steps springs to mind.

Not many actual albums by rock bands are worse.
    really im a massive metallica fan even the big and justice poster that sits just behind this screen but really awful album, shocking that someone who seems to be all about how instruments sound stands up for this record.

i'm not a huge fan i like em and have seen em live and that but nothing much... i think st anger is good cos they tried somethin new ...fair enough it was **** but we all know they can do their stuff well it was a change if nothing else..sure i bet half the country bought it anyway so they don't give a ****!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Pistol Pete for moderator !!!

:D

Advertisement