Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Premier League oppose Reds' Champions League bid

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers lads,

dont worry, I'm preparing a good rant at the moment!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It should be worth noting that this will have a downside on the English coefficient in a large way.
    It will degegrate us behind Italy and Spain at least which could result in tougher group stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:
    It should be worth noting that this will have a downside on the English coefficient in a large way.
    It will degegrate us behind Italy and Spain at least which could result in tougher group stages

Us? Didn't know you were English!

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

PHB wrote:

My heart bleeds :D I presume by 'us', you actually mean [insert whatever Enlish club you support]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

My heart bleeds :D I presume by 'us', you actually mean [insert whatever Enlish club you support]

I'm almost certain the internet is available in England. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The Muppet wrote:
    I'm almost certain the internet is available in England. :D

True ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

*Falls in shock at PHB's Post* :eek:

;)

I haven't been reading this thread so don't even know what PHB was replying to but why does it matter if England fall behind Italy? It will never affect any English clubs.

Actually what was that post about PHB? I've looked back and can't find what you were replying to. Everton qualifying will mean England slip down the rankings?

/Edit - PHB, I've read over your post again. It doesn't matter where your country is in the rankings when it comes to seedings in the CL. Country rankings is only to calculate how many European spots a country gets. Here's the current country rankings:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2005.html

Club rankings are used for seedings:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/trank2005.html

Celtic are in Scotland but it doesn't make a different to seedings.

Bookmark those pages, they're usefull. Actually, here's one more. Its this years coefficients alone:
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/ccoef2005.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

TheCzar banned for a week.

TheMuppet and L5 also banned for a week as the user has not been a member of more than three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

My god... its about time someone made some sort of statement on the issue...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4503437.stm
    BBC Sport wrote:
    Uefa president Lennart Johansson has said five English teams could compete in next season's Champions League.

Johansson told Five Live's Sportsweek programme Liverpool could enter if they win the tournament but finish outside the top four in the Premiership.

"If there is a possibility to make an exception for the winner of the Champions League then there could be an additional place," said Johansson.

"The door is always open. We are there to serve football, not just dictate."

Uefa has previously insisted their rules are clear, that only four teams from any one country can go forward to play in the Champions League.

With Everton set to clinch the coveted fourth spot, and with Liverpool still in with a chance of lifting the Champions League trophy, Uefa has told the Football Association to decide who should join Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United in next season's tournament.

However, Johansson has potentially smoothed the waters and says his organisation will deal with any request as and when they receive it.

"Liverpool are welcome with their point of view. They can make any proposal and we will deal with it and we will give them a quick answer," he added.

"It is for the executive committee to decide and anything can be granted if they decide to go to the member associations and ask for a change in the regulations.

"But it would be unfair on Everton who have played the whole season and qualified via fourth place to then exclude them."

Johansson, though, has stated there will be a tightening of the rules for next season to ensure such an eventuality can be adequately dealt with in the future.

"We will make it more clear than we have before as to what is valid because it will happen again and again," he said.

"In my opinion the rule is already there, but if there are exceptions to the rule then we have to clarify the situation and make a clear statement about it."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

TheCzar banned for a week.

TheMuppet and L5 also banned for a week as the user has not been a member of more than three months.

ohhh thats harsh.... ah well :)

A 5th place would save alot of drama but I doubt it will happen. Its a bit of a shambles that UEFA do not have a set rule for these sort of situations too, i.e. a rule that does not simply pass the buck on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UEFA president leaves door open...maybe, sort-of!
    from bbc
    Uefa president Lennart Johansson has said five English teams could compete in next season's Champions League.

Johansson told Five Live's Sportsweek programme Liverpool could enter if they win the tournament but finish outside the top four in the Premiership.

"If there is a possibility to make an exception for the winner of the Champions League then there could be an additional place," said Johansson.

"The door is always open. We are there to serve football, not just dictate."

Uefa has previously insisted their rules are clear, that only four teams from any one country can go forward to play in the Champions League.

With Everton set to clinch the coveted fourth spot, and with Liverpool still in with a chance of lifting the Champions League trophy, Uefa has told the Football Association to decide who should join Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United in next season's tournament.

However, Johansson has potentially smoothed the waters and says his organisation will deal with any request as and when they receive it.

"Liverpool are welcome with their point of view. They can make any proposal and we will deal with it and we will give them a quick answer," he added.

"It is for the executive committee to decide and anything can be granted if they decide to go to the member associations and ask for a change in the regulations.

"But it would be unfair on Everton who have played the whole season and qualified via fourth place to then exclude them."

Johansson, though, has stated there will be a tightening of the rules for next season to ensure such an eventuality can be adequately dealt with in the future.

"We will make it more clear than we have before as to what is valid because it will happen again and again," he said.

"In my opinion the rule is already there, but if there are exceptions to the rule then we have to clarify the situation and make a clear statement about it."

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Even though what moyes has done at everton this season is nothing short of staggering as much as it pains me to say this i think if the pool win the champions league they should have the chance to retain it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Its to do with the country that the team comes from, as well as a ****load of other things.

If Everton get the spot, my understanding is that:
    The combined coefficient of Man Utd Arsenal and Chelsea will be added with Everton's, that being 0, which will in turn determine how many spots England will get the following year, and the coefficient that England will have as a whole.
    English clubs in turn will have a lower coefficient

But I just now read the rules, and it appears that the PL would still get the benefit of Liverpool's high coefficient due to the fact that they would be in the UEFA cup, so its all ok.
    Rules here:
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf
    See ANNEXE II

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

UEFA pesident yesterday said that if Liverpool won the CL final, then if a formal request from the FA for 5 teams from England to compete in next years CL was submitted, they would look seriously at it.
    He basically said that a provision would have to be made for the winners to come back and defend the trophy.
    Maybe he's looking at it that Everton won't win their qualifting game anyway :D and that England will still only have 4 teams in the competition

P.S. and they are wearing the red strip and Milan are in white....last 4 times we wore red in final we won and losers wore white...the omens are there again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Lex Luthor wrote:
    P.S. and they are wearing the red strip and Milan are in white....last 4 times we wore red in final we won and losers wore white...the omens are there again

Thats great! Im convinced that yellow jersey is unlucky or something! Maybe it makes them confused. "hang on, what team are we again? Norwich is it? right lads lets be sh!t!" (no offence to norwich fans) seriously tho they do seem extra **** when away in the yellow as opposed to away in red.

• Advertisement
Advertisement