Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Knoppix HD Install

• 27-04-2005 3:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭

Ok guys so I have the latest version of Knoppix and have booted up with the CD. I've gone into a shell with CTRl Alt F1 and ran knoppix-installer as a su using sudo. Now i've followed the guide and paritioned the drive approprietly and the OS seems to install to the HDD.This all gets installed to hdb1. The problem I'm having is, is that I've told the Knoppix installer script to install LiLo to the MBR of hda1 but this never seems to work. The MBR is either not there or just not working properly as I just get constant 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 redrawn again and again all over the screen when it tries to boot. I have Windows XP installed on hda1 and i need to access this aswell as other people in the house haven't got a clue about Linux.

I really love Knoppix and it's the most compatible Linux OS i've used to date, even plays all my DivX movies and MP3s which are really hard to configure and get working in other Linux distros. So guys any ideas as to why this aint working properly? I know it's an MBR issue but as far as I'm aware I've configured it properly in the Knoppix-Installer script but yet it still doesn't wanna work. Is there any way within Knoppix after the script has run it's course to install Lilo onto the MBR of hda1 and have it detect Windows to add to it's boot menu too from within Knoppix?

Cheers in advance guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Erm, that doesn't really help me to be honest as none of the guys in the forums returned by that search could figure it out. That said tho i'm in class at the moment in college and am just quickly flicking between this and cisco notes.

Advertisement