Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Q's to ask, things to look for when buying a 2nd hand car?

Options
  • 27-04-2005 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭

Can ye help me with this.
    Im looking at a 406 coupe this evening and it has low milage. How do i know its not clocked?
    What should i look for/ ask in general?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

joc_06 wrote:
    Can ye help me with this.
    Im looking at a 406 coupe this evening and it has low milage. How do i know its not clocked?
    What should i look for/ ask in general?
    Thanks

As far as the clock goes I think they should all align evenly. If the first number is higher than the next number and vice versa etc, I think thats a sign that the clock has been tampered with.

Make sure car is taxed, and that the car is registered in that persons name and make sure that the car is NCT'd for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Oh it's fairly easy to tell if it's been clocked, the numbers will be every-which-way but aligned. Also the condition v's mileage should be a giveaway...ppl rarely shave off a few thousand.

I had the misfortune of viewing a motor in dublin recently which claimed to have done 44k...more like 144k! The leather was worn off the steering wheel, the inside was rough & scuffed, paintwork worn etc.

Just look closely & follow your instinct, if it's not 100% just walk away, there'll be a genuine motor not far around the corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Its nct'ed til mid 06 and taxed til end of yr, full service history so i reckon im grand. Got a great list of q's and tips off the rac.co.uk site. I can post them after.

anyone got anything specific for a 406 coupe? Ever own one? Any probs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check the condition of the pedals. They should reflect the actual mileage.

Also, are tyres original? How much tread left on them? Driver seat condition?

Not your ornery onager

ideally you would want a car thats nct'd till 07

• Advertisement

py2006 wrote:
    ideally you would want a car thats nct'd till 07

Are you serious? Would that stop you buying the car?

Not your ornery onager

Well im giving 9k for the car. is that a good deal?
    keep in mind its only 40k miles, 6months tax, nct 6-06 and hes taking my car as trade in for about 1k over its mark value.
    So im looking at about 8k for the 406coup and hes giving me the tax disc for that price which is worht about 300 to me. tyres are in great nick too
    I looked at one last week that went for almost 7k and it had twice the miles and no tax disc so i think its a good deal.
    Takes all the hassle of me having to find a buyer for mine.
    What do ye think of the maths? Provided the car is genuine of course?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm not sure what you mean by he is giving you the tax disk worth €300 to you.

My understanding of this is that the car still has about 6 months road tax on it. The 406 coupe has a 2.0 engine so road tax is almost €600 p.a. Don't be fooled here, he is not doing you a favour, the road tax goes with the car, there is no way of him getting it back so don't think this is part of the package. Another buyer would also benefit from this.

As for checking to see if the mileage is genuine? Most odometers are digital these days but are still prone to clocking and my guess is that the 406 is no different so checking to see if the digits are in line is redundant here. Tell tail signs of high mileage is to take a good look at the condition of the cabin. The switchgear and seats may look a bit worn, also check the trim for heavy wear and tear. This is easy in French cars as their interiors generally don't take alot of abuse. Things like faded digits on the gear stick or a smooth surface on the 10 to 2 position of the steering wheel are a good sign of a car well used. Checking the pedals used to be a good thing but it is very easy to replace the pedal pads with new ones to hide this. Make sure to check every button and switch to make sure all electrics are working correctly as parts can be expensive to replace. By the way what kind of warranty are you getting? I would be expecting at least 6 months.

Also it may be a good idea to get a HPI check done on the car, it will cost you around €20 but this will tell you if there is any outstanding finance on the car.

Lovely car by the way and best of luck if you do buy it.

yes i meant that the tax disc is with the car so i thought i was saving 300 there but obviously not.
    car had a digital lcd odometer so it was impossible to tell really. didnt look too worn and nct said 38k last summer so the mileage is genuine as far as i can see.
    im getting a 3 month warranty and a service on it before hand. anyway ive a deposit down and it'll be mine on friday morn. i cant wait...

I second the Hire Purchase check advice - your bank (or your parents' or whoever's) can do it for you.

I would strongly advise you to have the car checked by a *qualified* mechanic - well worth the cost.

About the +1K offer on your trade-in... Does this seem too good to be true? Maybe something fishy?

Also, hold out for a 6 month warranty minimum - and get it in writing.

The tax disk thing is bullshlt, TBH. If he tried to make you think it was a big deal, what else is he trying?

Also, check the shut lines (should all match) also clearances between wheels and arches should match perfectly. Look for overspray (sign of a repair) under bonnet, in boot, and at seals. Talk to the previous owner (if he's not the seller - which sounds likely).

Good luck.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

esel wrote:
    Are you serious? Would that stop you buying the car?

I said "ideally"

I looked in the boot under and around the spare wheel there is lots of paint peeling off. It doesnt look like its been re painted but it caught my notice. Is this a cause for concern?
    The sun was good last night and i looked along the lines and it was all fitting perfectly, no problems whatsoever so i dont think its been crashed.

The one thing that got we was that it was a company car but had low mileage. The miles are genuine according to nct and warranty but it *could* have been laid up for that time casue it was crashed. I asked explicitly was it crashed and he said no and he's legally entitled to tell me isnt he but what is the case for him pleading ignorance?
    Does anyone know any good mechanics that would check it out for me? Drumcondra based. How much does that normally cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

What year is it, and what colour..?...?...?

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Is this the car by any chance:

406 Coupe

Maybe. obviously dont want to say too much specifics. I just want to make sure im not being taken advantage of considering i know little about cars.
    Am i getting a reasonable deal *if that was the car* or am i being taken for a fool. My car is similiar to this one. Opinions please?

How much would it cost to get a mechanic to come with you to check out a car?

I had a 406 coupe which was crashed and i got rid of it.
    Shortly after i discovered that a colleague of a friend had bought it from a dealer, and was told it was never crashed!!!!

Never opened my mouth, twas too late then! So if it is blue and 98 reg, you had better pm me the reg

I dont know how much itd cost for a mechanic to look at it nor do i know any mechanics. (For all i know a guy outta the yellow pages might be yer mans brother) so can anyone recommend a decent one in drumcondra and how much he'll charge.
    Its 98 reg but not blue, thanks anyway. there are scratches on this car (2 bad ones), i think if it was crashed they'd have gotten rid of everything like that, wouldnt they?

joc_06 wrote:
    I dont know how much itd cost for a mechanic to look at it nor do i know any mechanics. (For all i know a guy outta the yellow pages might be yer mans brother) so can anyone recommend a decent one in drumcondra and how much he'll charge.
    Its 98 reg but not blue, thanks anyway. there are scratches on this car (2 bad ones), i think if it was crashed they'd have gotten rid of everything like that, wouldnt they?

Could it have been blue originally?

I'd say it is cool, just checking though.
    Cause it would be typical that you'd post a pic of your new motor next week and then some ass, like me, would come along an go; "Eh, that used to me my car, and it was rammed by a truck :o "
    But that situation has been avoided, i have done my good deed for the week. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement