Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question

Options
  • 27-04-2005 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

Ok this is more directed towards Arts students but I'm sure other students will know what I'm talking about.

1) Zane gets a total of 15% from essays/assignments from Arts subject (a)
    2) Zane is happy as he thinks he needs just 25% out of the remaining 75% (which should be 33.33% from the summer exam) in this subject to pass overall.

Am I totally correct with what I've mentioned in point 2)?

I'm a bit confused as I've heard lots of different stories from Commerce about having to achieve a pass (40%) in the written exam no matter what your essay/assignments marks are. I heard today that this might be applied in Arts. Is this true? Anyone put my mind to rest please? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Arts is much more simple.
    you've got it right above afaik.

Congrats on your essays btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Why thank you. Despite the fact I've done good on essays I'm still scrapping away for every mark as that magical 40% seems soooooo far away! :)

I've only realised for the 1st time in my life how much I love the number 40, what a wonderful number! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,588 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Could someone help me out?

1) Mr Nice Guy didn't do the required amount of essays.
    2) Mr Nice Guy hasn't studied yet and has an exam on Tuesday.
    3) Mr Nice Guy WILL pass his exams!

Am I correct on point 3? Be gentle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Cram & find someone who can predict the papers quite accurately.
    Go to the lecturers or tutors & quiz them about anything you can think of.
    You'll be surprised how helpful some of them can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sit next to the class swot in your exam-so judging by his essay marks thatl probably be zane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I don't have the maths skills to work out how much I'm going to get from my essays :(

panda100 wrote:
    sit next to the class swot in your exam-so judging by his essay marks thatl probably be zane!

Knowing me I'll end up sitting beside someone hot. Hey, it's what I've done all year! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

hmmm getting a date or passing your exams....mhe option number one, sounds good to me.

Zane, what are you on about, you'll be fine! good ol geography :) sigh...Yea only 40 %...poor friend of mine failed one or two com exams last year cos she got like 58 or 59-stupid commerce...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I hear the pass rate in med is 60%? that true?

Alana wrote:
    hmmm getting a date or passing your exams....mhe option number one, sounds good to me.

Is that a proposition, Alana? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

That's true, expcept in a language subject with an oral exam. In those, you must pass the oral or you fail automatically.

It is pretty hard to fail an oral. Mine went terribly badly in first German, I said hardly anything and hadn't spoken German in a year, and I still passed, so they can be kind occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Ehm Zane I think you're a bit too paranoid? Wait til you get to third year if you're like this, you'll probably go psychotic :eek: . I'm in third arts, geography and history. If you gotten 15% out of ur geography essays, that's a very high mark - loads of people only get about 5%, you'll pass no problem,(everyone thinks they wont the week before the exams). Geography is pretty much piss in first year and they're only 2 hr exams now :rolleyes: I had 5 three hour papers last year in second year geogrpahy.

Hey why not :p what subjects you doing......? ;)

Alana wrote:
    Hey why not :p what subjects you doing......? ;)

History, politics and philosophy. Doing any of these? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Heh, I did those exact subjects in first year... Dropped Philosophy - big mistake, it was p*ss easy, and the other two are a nightmare. Ah well.

SebtheBum wrote:
    Heh, I did those exact subjects in first year... Dropped Philosophy - big mistake, it was p*ss easy, and the other two are a nightmare. Ah well.

I intend to drop philosophy. It will be a miracle if I pass any of them tbh. :o

Yeah, I was like that. Never studied, never went to lectures, never did essays.... Wait a minute, I'm STILL like that!!! F**K! :D

Anyway, I never studied Philosophy or gave a cr*p about it, and I still managed to pass it first time, so you should be grand.
    History, all ya have to do is turn up for both exams (this is where I went wrong, clearly) and you'll be fine.
    And Politics? Sorry mate, ya f**ked. :(

Nah. If you cram, you'll be fine.

First year is p*ss easy anyway, wait til ya get to second year, where the fun really starts. If by "fun" you mean agonizing slow painful death by failure in exams anyway... :eek:

SebtheBum wrote:
    Yeah, I was like that. Never studied, never went to lectures, never did essays.... Wait a minute, I'm STILL like that!!! F**K! :D

Anyway, I never studied Philosophy or gave a cr*p about it, and I still managed to pass it first time, so you should be grand.
    History, all ya have to do is turn up for both exams (this is where I went wrong, clearly) and you'll be fine.
    And Politics? Sorry mate, ya f**ked. :(

Nah. If you cram, you'll be fine.

First year is p*ss easy anyway, wait til ya get to second year, where the fun really starts. If by "fun" you mean agonizing slow painful death by failure in exams anyway... :eek:

Thanks you've given me confidence with that post. I am worried about politics though especially since I've discovered I have to write on USA politics. I didn't even know that was on the course! I didn't go to any of those lectures!

I think I still have the notes for USA Politics from last year... Did Fed10 come up in the lectures? Cos that always comes up in the exams and is a sure-fire way of gettin easy marks.

Irish politics = Politcal parties and social cleavages
    Internation politics = Trans-national organisations... MAD and NUT... eh, I've forgotten everythin else!
    Political theory = Marx, Mill, Aristotle. Easy marks generally, I did really well on this. Link them by themes like Participation, Representation, that kinda crap. Should be grand

Forgotten the other parts of the Politics course, will get back tya.

P.S. Why the f**k am I helping you?!?! I should be studying for me, for god's sake!!!! :D

SebtheBum wrote:
    I think I still have the notes for USA Politics from last year... Did Fed10 come up in the lectures? Cos that always comes up in the exams and is a sure-fire way of gettin easy marks.

Irish politics = Politcal parties and social cleavages
    Internation politics = Trans-national organisations... MAD and NUT... eh, I've forgotten everythin else!
    Political theory = Marx, Mill, Aristotle. Easy marks generally, I did really well on this. Link them by themes like Participation, Representation, that kinda crap. Should be grand

Forgotten the other parts of the Politics course, will get back tya.

P.S. Why the f**k am I helping you?!?! I should be studying for me, for god's sake!!!! :D

I welcome the help! I;m gonna get some rest now but I'll look into that Fed10 thingy! :D

• Advertisement

Caution Mr. Nice Guy! Alana is not an individual to be messed with.

*cough* connections with the IRA *cough*

Knowing me I'll end up sitting beside someone hot. Hey, it's what I've done all year! :D

Are you saying Zane is not hot?

Fuppin Baxtard! :mad:
    Alana wrote:
    Zane, what are you on about, you'll be fine! good ol geography :) sigh...Yea only 40 %...poor friend of mine failed one or two com exams last year cos she got like 58 or 59-stupid commerce...

Ah thanks Alana. You were the best Geography tutor anyone could ever have had. Thanks for your highly infomed information all year round. Best of luck with being the head of the Geography department next year! :)

Just me freeekin again for no reason. Got triggered by talking to a commerce buddy of mine who said there was someone in his year who passed all of his exams bar one in which he got 39% in the repeats and has had to repeat the whole year again this year, absolutley evil or what! Then a certain member of a certain Geography tutorial said to me about us having to still get 40% no matter what our marks were. She wasn't sure either so I shouldn't have freaked over that. Oh well calm down Zane calm down! :eek:
    funktastic wrote:
    Ehm Zane I think you're a bit too paranoid? Wait til you get to third year if you're like this, you'll probably go psychotic :eek: . I'm in third arts, geography and history. If you gotten 15% out of ur geography essays, that's a very high mark - loads of people only get about 5%, you'll pass no problem,(everyone thinks they wont the week before the exams). Geography is pretty much piss in first year and they're only 2 hr exams now :rolleyes: I had 5 three hour papers last year in second year geogrpahy.

Well 1st off I got 16.31% in Geography. :cool: That 15% was referring to Info Studies....... goddam i'm sounding like such a nerd but I swear i'm still gonna struggle to pass.

For my leaving last year I spent the whole of July and the 1st part of August worrying over my Leaving results. Its just something in me, I get REALLY freaked out by exams. I wish half of the course was made up of coursework instead of 25% of the course... it would suit me grand! :mad:

Why yes mr nice guy i do do one of the same subjects, politics.... :D so you never know you might end up sitting next to :p

As for American politics I'm also fu*ckered, bur hey! Just done the whole Fed 10 lark and hopefully it'll be ok, he went over it in the last lecture so fingers crossed, there's a good book on it in the library by Dye and Zeigler as far as I remember. Unfortunately if anything else comes up which i'm guessing judicial review will, seen as how he spent ages on it in lectures-I'm screwed...meh! As far as the rest of the course goes-especially Sinnot's I've havent a fuppin clue-how the hell are you meant to link all them crazy graphs into essays! Spent 3 hrs in the library today to no avail...sniff. If anyone wants to exchange essays to do comparison thingys, help would be most appreciated! Argh, hopefully the ol library will helps me study...eeep. As for the other courses Seb was pretty much on the balll, from what my tutor and other ppl in 2nd year have been telling me...And then there's EU pol-nice and easy, thank goodness :)

Ah it'll all be over soon....thank moses.

Zane, that girl was being silly, all you need is 40% over all, and your essay marks go to it, you'll be fine, like I told I got my fairy god mother to have a ickle word with "the man", ye'll all be fine....

except you.

I don't like you....grrr.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

If you did that american politics stuff (with tom garvin) it's probably one of the easiest questions - because he sets the exact same topic almost every year. You should check out the past papers on the SIS web. Also, a lot of ppl are always put off (I know I was) by sinnotts graphs and stats and facts - i wouldnt worry about having to memorise any of this precisely - once you get the overall picture :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

For those of you doing fed10, I found an old essay plan that I wrote out specifically for the exam back when I was in first year.... It might be of some help - or it might not! You'll still need to read fed10 because a lot of my notes are kind of tailored to my own way of remembering things - messy in other words.

http://members.boards.ie/m1ke/fed%2010%20essay%20plan.doc

Alana wrote:
    Why yes mr nice guy i do do one of the same subjects, politics.... :D so you never know you might end up sitting next to :p

Well are you hot?
    Alana wrote:
    As for American politics I'm also fu*ckered, bur hey! Just done the whole Fed 10 lark and hopefully it'll be ok, he went over it in the last lecture so fingers crossed, there's a good book on it in the library by Dye and Zeigler as far as I remember.

What is Fed10? Don't tell me it's something huge!
    Are you saying Zane is not hot?

Fuppin Baxtard! :mad:

Nah, I've seen you on MTV2 and you're alright I guess. :D

m1ke, thanks for putting that on here but can you tell me a little bit about this Fed10 and is it possible to learn about it in a weekend? :o

What is Fed10? Don't tell me it's something huge!

m1ke, thanks for putting that on here but can you tell me a little bit about this Fed10 and is it possible to learn about it in a weekend? :o

Nah, Fed10 ain't huge, and yes, it's p*ss easy to learn it in a weekend. You could probably memorise it in bout twenty minutes in fact, and then learn to answer a question on it pretty easily. You should have got Fed10 as a handout in a tutorial/lecture/both(as happened to me last year, embarassment of riches or what) and it's only 2-3 A4 pages long, and written very succinctly.

Brief Synopsis:
    Fed 10 = Federalist Paper Number 10, written by James Madision. It dealt with the burgeoning problem of factions in a representative democracy, that is to say the risk of the "majority faction" dictating policy to the "minority factions" (and another problem that escapes me - it WAS a year ago I did this), and how to solve the problem.

Trust me, it's p*ss. If you haven't got Fed10, I'll email ya a copy, altho there should be photocopies either in the Library or in the SU (if Garvin was nice enuff to leave some Fed10's there anyway).

m1ke's spot on, it is probably one of the easiest questions.

Good Luck

SebtheBum wrote:
    Nah, Fed10 ain't huge, and yes, it's p*ss easy to learn it in a weekend. You could probably memorise it in bout twenty minutes in fact, and then learn to answer a question on it pretty easily. You should have got Fed10 as a handout in a tutorial/lecture/both(as happened to me last year, embarassment of riches or what) and it's only 2-3 A4 pages long, and written very succinctly.

Brief Synopsis:
    Fed 10 = Federalist Paper Number 10, written by James Madision. It dealt with the burgeoning problem of factions in a representative democracy, that is to say the risk of the "majority faction" dictating policy to the "minority factions" (and another problem that escapes me - it WAS a year ago I did this), and how to solve the problem.

Trust me, it's p*ss. If you haven't got Fed10, I'll email ya a copy, altho there should be photocopies either in the Library or in the SU (if Garvin was nice enuff to leave some Fed10's there anyway).

m1ke's spot on, it is probably one of the easiest questions.

Good Luck

Ah yes I recall doing something on this during a politics tutorial. I should have it lying around somewhere. Is this question guaranteed to appear? I'll have a look at it anyway.

Yes it is guaranteed to appear, he even did a re-cap lecture on it, which according to my mates in 2nd year is UNHEARD of...but then again they are only in second year...cheers mike, made me realise I'd forgotten stuff, thanks!

Why yes I am hot Mr Nice Guy.....:) but good luck to ya! :p

• Advertisement

Alana wrote:
    Yes it is guaranteed to appear, he even did a re-cap lecture on it, which according to my mates in 2nd year is UNHEARD of...but then again they are only in second year...cheers mike, made me realise I'd forgotten stuff, thanks!

Why yes I am hot Mr Nice Guy.....:) but good luck to ya! :p

I'll have to focus my attention on Fed10. If it doesn't appear, I'll write about it anyway!

As for you Alana, I don't need luck, I just need you to have good taste. ;)

Advertisement