Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AMD64 Question

• 27-04-2005 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭

I recently purchased an AMD64 3800+ on an Abit ax8 k8t890 mobo and ever since i have noticed that no malware or viruses have been on my machine at all? (Great obviously) I dont have anti virus installed, I have read that the Athlon64 has built in anti virus and so does my mobo. Its amazing, how good is this or am i going to get hit with a vicious virus sometime soon??? :) I run adaware to check for malware btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

apparently

but even they recommend using third party apps, get yourself avg and zone alarm, better safe than sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭CSSource God

Sweet thanks mate, I kinda knew that but found it kinda hard to believe. I can say that it actually works terrific for me anyway i might even do away with anti-virus coz they are big n sluggish. :) I always used to check for malware coz i had a few bad viruses but now i cant find zilch whatsoever how could it be so good??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,593 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The NX bit support only maybe stops certain kinds of attacks. It is not real virus protection and AMD had to stop advertising it like that after complaints were upheld. You still need proper anit-virus software.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The NX bit is NOT equivalent to anti virus protection - get yourself protected now. It just makes it slightly harder for some viruses that used to rely on execution in out of the the way areas of memory to execute and propagate.

it is in no way an anti virus

- but it is useful as part of a multilayered anti virus defense :
    I.E. Firewalled NAT Router + PC Anti Virus + PC Software or Hardware firewall + Mal/Spyware Detector/Cleaner + Opera/Firefox Browser + A non MS Email Program

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

it is in no way an anti virus
    Thank You. I needed someone to stop the oncoming headache that I was getting by simply reading the garbage that had been posted beforehand..... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

If you don't have any anti-virus software installed then how do you know you don't have any viruses?

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

BloodBath wrote:
    If you don't have any anti-virus software installed then how do you know you don't have any viruses?
    Touché! :D

Advertisement