Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biking etiquette ?

Options
  • 27-04-2005 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

Being a recent noob to the world of motor biking, I was wondering if there is an unwritten etiquette as to how to ride on our roads.

Things like approaching a line of traffic at the lights should you go up the inside, outside or middle? Or do you just go where you fit? It seems that motorists seem unfazed once you get away quickly enough.

Some other bikers seem to have a friendly nod when passing. But others seem to look through you, mainly couriers I think (or are they a different breed altogether)?

Parking was another question I had but I see it has its own thread already.

Cal.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Coming up to lights, go wherever is the safest , be it inside, outside, or through the middle. IT'll be different at every set of lights.. some may have a bus lane beside them and an advanced stop line for cycles , etc. Basic ettiquette is to not scratch or hit any cars and piss them off! ;)

You'll rarely if ever get a nod in the city, cos people are on their bikes to courier, or commute. You'll really only get the nod on weekends when people are on bikes for pleasure.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Phryxus

I find the friendly nod between bikers is more common with older riders, as far as etiquette goes the only thing I'd never do is pull in front of a bike at or before lights that'd smoke me as soon as the light changes, I suppose that's more common sense than anything else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I usually salute other bikers when I see 'em but I live in the country and other bikers are probably just cruising around enjoying 'emselves too.
    A word of warning, be very careful lanesplitting at speed a lot of motorists will just switch lanes without warning and wipe you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Phryxus wrote:
    as far as etiquette goes the only thing I'd never do is pull in front of a bike at or before lights that'd smoke me as soon as the light changes, I suppose that's more common sense than anything else though.
    Yep. Try to avoid pulling in front of other bikes at all at the lights, and if you find yourself stopped behind a bike that's a little faster than you, don't overtake him just because you reacted quicker, wait for him to go.
    A word of warning, be very careful lanesplitting at speed a lot of motorists will just switch lanes without warning and wipe you out.
    Absolutely. I can't count the number of times i've been doing 100km/h+ on the motorway, and some moron has come flying through between the lanes at 120+. One minor mistake and you're finished.

In stopped traffic, if you can avoid overtaking on the left do, i.e. if you have the choice of left or right overtaking, always go for right.
    I always make a point of aborting a left-hand overtake in traffic once the traffic starts to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

common etiquette id use is the right of way for two bikes aiming at each other head on down the "middle lane" , ie both overtaking on the right when theres room for only one bike,
    both of yis need to get through so judge whos bike is bigger and then if your on the little 'un pull in to the left when you have a chance, big bike will scream past with a nod and youll both be on your way with little affect to your journey time ;)

also when going down the middle watch out for cars trying to be motorbikes,
    ie theyre pulling out to the right every few minutes to see if they can squeeze by.
    they never can :rolleyes: but theyll keep trying, they wont see you coming from behind and it will seem like their trying to run you into the other lane, theyll also get caught out every now and then and block off your lane.
    once they see you they wont pull back in, so rev and nudge at their rear wing till they finally relent ;)
    dont hit them obviously but make it seem like your not going to give up until you get past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Thanks guys for the nice pointers so far.

It's nice to see that I'm not being a pushy pup on the roads as I start to see the road from a different point of view again. (Mind you the years I spent on a pushbike many moons ago have helped me be a defensive rider from the start) I'd feel sorry for someone having to gain their first two wheeled experience in Dublin on a motorised vehicle.

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Always a good idea to get some proper training

Wear as much protective gear as possible it'll help save your own skin in the event of a spill. Boots, trousers, jacket, gloves, decent helmet. Leather offers the best protection.

Make yourself visible - keep your headlights (dipped beam) on at all times - wear a hi-viz jacket/vest.

Make yourself audible - many road users don't look - (sorry mate I didn't see you :rolleyes: ) - but they do hear - "loud pipes save lives" - imho it's true.

I only nod if it doesn't distract me from what I'm supposed to be doing. In heavy traffic my eyes are too busy elsewhere - that kerb, that car, that door, that kid, etc.

Always assume 'it will happen' i.e. they will turn without inidicating, they will open the door, they will step out in front of you, they will change lane suddenly etc.

In my experience 99% of drivers are fine, you'll get the odd eejit, but then you'll get the odd gem - like the driver who retracted his mirrors so I could pass :cool:

Enjoy it, take your time, you don't have to go fast, you will still pass all the cars at the next traffic lights / queue :)

So what bike do you have?

causal

causal wrote:
    Enjoy it, take your time, you don't have to go fast, you will still pass all the cars at the next traffic lights / queue :)

:D:D:D Probably the second best thing about biking. The 1st being the freedom of the open road. (weather permitting ;) )
    causal wrote:

So what bike do you have?

A shiny new Dragstar 650 Classic :D

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Cal wrote:
    A shiny new Dragstar 650 Classic :D

nice and spanky :D

i try and nod to most bikers (accept couriers as they rarely acknowledge you doing it)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Cal wrote:
    Things like approaching a line of traffic at the lights should you go up the inside, outside or middle?.

unless there is a bus lane, I do not recommend that you approach the lights form the inside, I have had a muppet get out of the passenger side of a car while at a red light, knocked me off the bike, fractured me toe and a nice little dent on the tank - always remember, they never look!

/I'll have nothing said against couriers, they have help me out more than once when I've had a problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Beware of "white van man" aswell, i've had them deliberately block me from overtaking so many times, also boy racers will sometimes come right up your ass and try to pass you.
    Also on the loud cans thing, it really does work, my bandit was loud in a shrieking kind of way, and more people got out of my way than my mates quieter bikes, the SV is insanely loud, and seems to bully people out of the way even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

causal wrote:
    Leather offers the best protection.

I disagree - textiles these days can be better. Considering they use kevlar and other strong substances in the clothing. In fact, it's better as far as weather goes, cos when it rains leather hols the water, and when it's sunny, leather will sweat you. Then again, more of an opinion than anything else.

As for couriers - i think if they nodded at every biker that passed them during their days work, their head would fall off. Also, a lot of couriers aren't real bikers, just idiots that get a scooter so they can get a job. Havin said that, i know a lot of couriers who are genuine bikers. You might also notice the friendly nod from Garda bikers. It runs right throught the biking world - a car driver wouldn't get the same from a Garda in a car.

On the topic of gear, anyone ever bought a pair of Draggin Jeans and have anythign to say about them good or bad?
    http://www.dragginjeans.com.au/index2.htm
    I hate riding without proper gear, but my agv overpants are way too hot in the summer, i also dont really fancy leathers, for various reasons. These seem ideal, as you can hop off the bike and viola you're wearing normal clothes, you dont have to lug around bulky armoured pants, and you're not shoehorned into a pair of leather pants.
    Ok the impact protection is the same as regular jeans, but from the videos on the site of a guy being towed by a dragster and not getting severe road rash they'll definitely save your skin in a spill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Hmm...textiles rip surprisingly easily when they hit the tarmac (veteran of three crashes here). In my experience, it's the body armour inside the clothing that saves you the most. God knows, without it I'd have two plastic kneecaps, all manner of soft tissue damage (I've had a fair bit of that, but nothing too dramatic) and arms/legs broken a few times. I've done a few tours around Europe, and never suffered from any sweat problems (not from the leather anyway), despite temps well up in the mid 30s. Getting leathers with vents in all the right places is important alright. :D
    Ride around as though anyone could snap and try to kill you at any moment and you should be alright.......or prescribed Valium after a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Being a recent noob to the world of motor biking, I was wondering if there is an unwritten etiquette as to how to ride on our roads.
    Resist the temptation to flirt with other bikers, normal riders will ignore these advances anyway.

Try not to become a nuisance to other road users with tacky termigoni aftermarket noise amplifiers, and just remember that car's are much bigger and therefore have the right-of-way in most instances, irregardless of your mutterings behind that fogged up visor.

528i wrote:
    Resist the temptation to flirt with other bikers, normal riders will ignore these advances anyway.

Try not to become a nuisance to other road users with tacky termigoni aftermarket noise amplifiers, and just remember that car's are much bigger and therefore have the right-of-way in most instances, irregardless of your mutterings behind that fogged up visor.

As helpful as ever :rolleyes: And safer to society when contained in your Bavarian made cage :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

528i wrote:

You sir, are an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

echomadman wrote:
    On the topic of gear, anyone ever bought a pair of Draggin Jeans and have anythign to say about them good or bad?
    I had a pair of dragging jeans a couple of years ago... Come to think of it, I still have them.. They offer absolutely no impact protection, only protection from road rash.. So I reckon they're ok for a spin down to the shop, but for longer jaunts, you really need to have the right gear on..

Also, they deteriorate at the same rate as any other pair of jeans (though the kevlar might keep them together for a little bit longer), so at the price, I'm not sure how good value for money they represent. Needless to say, no weather protection.. So the general wear and tare of bike riding will see them getting shabby fairly quickly..

All this apart, they are as confortable as any pair of jeans or combats, and if you're just going for a short spin, they definitely offer more protection than a pair of jeans.

Can 528i be moved to the 'personal issues' forum, as he obviously has some personal issues.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Can 528i be moved to the 'personal issues' forum, as he obviously has some personal issues.

no
    he bloodywell cannot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

Beruthiel wrote:
    no
    he bloodywell cannot!

Please move 528i and Beruthiel as obviously thay hate bikers - no hate here - only valid arguments, thank you.

As for jeans - i use a pair of Snickers work trousers (grey) for short trips to the shops. They have a kevlar composite, so will save your skin. Not great for imapact io should imagine, mind you, you can get kneww pads for them !

• Advertisement

I was in Capital Honda in Terenure last week, and on the bargain rail they have a pair of denim jeans for 50 Euro that have kevlar stitching, but also have hard armour in the hips and at the knees in case of a spill, yet they look like normal jeans..

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Eye

got a 650 dragstar myself (not classic though) have it 4 years now and they are lovely bikes to drive, welcome to the world of biking btw :)

most of the advice you could ever need starting off has already been given so not much for me to say just to be safe and enjoy yourself :)

one thing that has'nt been mention though is for anyone who drives in urban or non urban areas, when it comes to trucks make damn sure you are visible to them in their mirrors, bikes are much smaller than cars so alot of the time they wont see you unless you position yourself properly on the road to get into view of their mirrors, having said that though personally i have found the vast majority or truck drivers to be the most curtious to bikers. if i come up behind a truck and stay visible in the mirror for a moment, then 95% of the time trucks will make a bit of room where they can safely do so and let you pass, a quick salute from me and flash of the lights from them and i'm on my way :)

spockety wrote:
    I was in Capital Honda in Terenure last week, and on the bargain rail they have a pair of denim jeans for 50 Euro that have kevlar stitching, but also have hard armour in the hips and at the knees in case of a spill, yet they look like normal jeans..
    Sounds like a much better bet then the draggin jeans..

Can we stick to the subject of 'Biking etiquette' rather than personal attire and underwear comparisons please, or is this a another of your limp wristed fashion contests Krusty ?

Yawn. Was quite funny the first couple of times, now you're just dull.

Apologies for being so dull, tell us all about your vibrant new spring/summer collection then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

528i wrote:
    Apologies for being so dull, tell us all about your vibrant new spring/summer collection then.

Ah the joy of allowing every little simpleton to use a computer :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Nice thread.

I agree dont stop ahead of other bikes at the lights. Basically the faster bike should be out front, you can generally tell. A lot of mopeds pull up the lights in front of the faster bikes which must wait for them to pull off when the lights change, very annoying.

Also when filtering through traffic, dont try and pass out other bikes, just stay behind the bike in fornt of you !

Bigger moped users, 125-250. The majority of the time these are bikers who are a little older and can afford a bigger bike but dont have the experience. You should be wearing the same safety gear, including boots as other bikers. I find these users the worst when it comes to "biking etiqette" because they have some power but little experience. Obviously not all of them of course.

BrynW wrote:
    Ah the joy of allowing every little simpleton to use a computer :rolleyes:

It stretches far beyond using a computer, arse holes like this litter the roads we all share!

• Advertisement

Can someone prune 528i's posts from this thread, he's consistently fagged up every bike thread since he joined boards, once he starts it results in a calvalcade of insults and complaints about him, dragging the thread off topic and hiding the useful info in it.
    He's a sad attention whore, and he keeps getting what he wants.

Advertisement