Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biking etiquette ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

528i wrote:
    Can we stick to the subject of 'Biking etiquette' rather than personal attire and underwear comparisons please, or is this a another of your limp wristed fashion contests Krusty ?

Funny thing is - this moron probably doesnt even have a car, nevermind a 528i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

delanest wrote:
    Nice thread.

I agree dont stop ahead of other bikes at the lights. Basically the faster bike should be out front, you can generally tell. A lot of mopeds pull up the lights in front of the faster bikes which must wait for them to pull off when the lights change, very annoying.

Also when filtering through traffic, dont try and pass out other bikes, just stay behind the bike in fornt of you !

Bigger moped users, 125-250. The majority of the time these are bikers who are a little older and can afford a bigger bike but dont have the experience. You should be wearing the same safety gear, including boots as other bikers. I find these users the worst when it comes to "biking etiqette" because they have some power but little experience. Obviously not all of them of course.

I agree - when you get to the front of the traffic, dont pull in front of other bikes that are already there. Just common courtesey.

If ur on a bigger bike, no need to pull up in front of other bikes just cos their smaller. However, if the smaller bike in front has any decency, he well keep to the left so as 2 let u pass once the lights go green.

I have pulled in front of other bikes on occasion, but only where it was neccesary to allow oncoming traffic pass, or similar situations.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Sorry, I have to say I don't agree with being too concerned with not pulling in on front of other bikes when stopped at lights. First concern should be to put yourself in a position where you're not a danger to yourself, oncoming, or turning traffic, and in a position where you know you are guaranteed to get away unimpeded. Obviously you should not *block* other bikes, but pulling ahead of a bike that himself is in a bit of a stupid position is fair game I reckon. If where you end up happens to appear courteous to another biker, then fair enough. There are a lot of bikers piss me off, as when you filter through the centre of two lanes of traffic, there is some pleb level with the two cars at the top and just sitting there leaving you sandwiched. I gave up stop light courtesy years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

traffic lights are always hard to judge,
    inexperienced bikers can get to the front of traffic with a bit of luck, empty oncoming lane, wide gap etc.

even when theyre on a big cbr600, i see this regularly, they sit there in an awkward position, afraid to cross over the line,
    watching our own lights to go green not the other ones to go red, then they roll forward about 2-3 secs after a bike should be well gone,
    cars are strating to move and any bikers behind him are getting the evil eye from the cars.

in an ideal world all bike should be lined up side to side at the head of traffic , easy enough to do tbh, and i drive a crusier, then they can all pull away at there own pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

just when you mention the white line at lights

Do you stop at the white line ?

Persionally I dont, even if I'm the first there, but never crossing the pedesterian line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

fwiw Technically you're breaking the lights if you cross the white line.

But yeah, if there's cars already up at the white line I go past it - but as you say - not onto the pedestrian crossing - I'm very concious of this, fair is fair etc.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Wow I thought I would be given a couple of do's and dont's bur this thread has really taken off.

A point I discovered when trying the 'quickly up the bus lane and slip in front of that big truck at the front' trick, is that, if the lights change early and you are not going to make it, be careful of the gravel that seems to gather just before the traffic island at the lights. I luckily could take the left turn so as to not look like a tit coming to a sliding stop at the lights.

Also is it just my bike being that it slows quite a lot coming down the gears but I find I use the rear brakes very rarely? I know most stopping power is in the front brakes but should I be using the rear brakes too more often.

And which foot do you put down at the lights? It seems (from my observations) that most people put down their right foot. Any opinions on this?

Cal

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Beruthiel wrote:
    unless there is a bus lane, I do not recommend that you approach the lights form the inside, I have had a muppet ....
    Whoa! You were overtaking on the wrong side .... :p

Cal wrote:
    Also is it just my bike being that it slows quite a lot coming down the gears but I find I use the rear brakes very rarely? I know most stopping power is in the front brakes but should I be using the rear brakes too more often.

And which foot do you put down at the lights? It seems (from my observations) that most people put down their right foot. Any opinions on this?

Cal

Cal it's a good point you make about the gravel - this is something you get almost on every road - where all the dirt and debris is pushed to the sides by carwheels etc.

V-twins do slow a lot more coming down the gears (aka compression braking, engine braking). Make sure you're not clunking down too much or you're back wheel will lock up - particularly in the wet or on gravel.

As for which foot to put down - there is a procedure known as 'The Hendon Shuffle' which is the Police Riders (Hendon is their training school) preferred method of putting it into to neutral and applying the rear brake all the while maintaining proper control of the bike. It's the equivalent procedure of stopping a car selecting neutral and applying the handbrake.

Hendon Shuffle:
    Stop the bike (typically using both brakes)
    - left foot down (your right foot is still on the brake pedal)
    - keeping front brake applied then put right foot down
    - flick gear into neutral then put left foot down
    - put right foot on brake
    - then you do it all in reverse when taking off.

It is a bit involved and many people don't bother - particularly if you're only going to be stopped for a little bit.

hth,
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

While your here lad and lassies, have any of you been pulled or ticked off by the Gardai for using the bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Never. I've had a few waves from Gardai as I travel down the bus-lane but have never been stopped.. Some bikers have though. I think the Lucan to Dublin road is quite popular for this..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Ive never been stopped using the bus lane on the N4. The traffic cops are actually pretty sound on that strech of road. I'll always remember during the Winter when it was lashing rain and the traffic was chaos, a Garda biker led us all through the pissings of rain into safety.

It was great cuz all the cars moved out of the way for the Garda, allowing the 5 or so of the rest of us through also!! :D

I've never been pulled by the fuzz :D for being in a bus lane - and on a couple of occasions in the bus lane I was overtaken by Gardai on bikes.

tbh the Gardai are mostly sound about it - they know you're a lot safer in the bus lane; but if you're acting the eejit (going too fast, whizzing close to cyclists etc.) then expect to be stopped.

Also if they have a checkpoint setup and you happen to be passing you'll likely be stopped - but it's usually for a ticking off.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

When you stop first, its left foot down with right foot on the back break. If you are staying clutched you remain in this position.

If you put the bike in neutral you apply the front break, then release the back break and put your right foot down. You then put the bike into neutral leaving your left leg up.
    While your here lad and lassies, have any of you been pulled or ticked off by the Gardai for using the bus lane.

I agree, makes sence to drive in the bus lane, fair play to the Garda bikers for turning a blind eye.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Pataman wrote:

"do you know why I stopped you?"
    yes
    I've been stopped, but let away with it... ;)

Advertisement