Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

twin Windows OS on one PC

• 27-04-2005 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

How can i get rid of secondary windows os on my laptop without doing any harm to a primary Windows. They are both XP Pro. Is there a program which could do that, or what should I do to make sure that there is no trace of Secondary Windows OS left. Thanks.
    Hider

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Bah, you got more responses when you posted it on the 'forums' forum than what you're getting here!

Anyhoo, like I said in that other thread, you need to provide more information.

I think the key question is why you want to remove this secondary windows install... just so we have some idea of what the most important issue is to address.
    ie. to free up disk space, annoying boot menu, conflicting program installs, messy looking directory structure, etc.

Removing a second (unused) install can be as easy as deleting the old OS's folders and removing the entry for that OS in the boot.ini ... things can get more complicated though if you've got one OS installed ontop of another on the same partition and they share many of the same folders.
    It can be very tricky to know what to delete, and unless you're sure, I'd err on the side of caution and leave things alone until your next format/re-install.
    If you are going to do it manually, I'd suggest backing up your data first... since if you screw it up, you mightn't be able to get back into your proper windows installation.

I haven't heard of any programs that will do this for you, thats not to say they don't exist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

I second what Donkey says, it should only be a 2 minute job but if you don't know what yer doing your best bet is to leave well alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 hider

the windows on separate partition. i needed for a different network, so i don't require that anylonger. it just the original windows is conflicting with second one time at the time. i tried to isolate second from original. but it still sees it. and i don't want to go formating my hdd and installing a new, fresh windows. there is so many updates and programs i need on it that it gonna take 5-6 hours to get it to the state i need it.
    i could just format this partition, but i dont want the other one to complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

When you say the two are conflicting, what exactly is happening... do you have an example?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Both copies of windows will keep thier settings in their respective %windir% folders.

But program files will be in one folder between them and you'd probably have to reinstall all the apps in the one you want to keep and hope that the settings are inherited.

If they aren't then you might have to uninstall the app and reinstall it again. If it's an older version of microsoft office then the "remove all" option doesn't even come close to removing all the settings. your millage may vary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

hider wrote:
    How can i get rid of secondary windows os on my laptop without doing any harm to a primary Windows. They are both XP Pro. Is there a program which could do that, or what should I do to make sure that there is no trace of Secondary Windows OS left. Thanks.
    Hider

No trace? Nuke from orbit.

Advertisement