Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim McDaid,

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

mike65 wrote:
    Listening to liveline RTE Radio 1 this afternoon some Donegal gobsh1te (and freind of Tipsy McDaid) said with a straight voice that it was'nt a resigning matter as he had'nt killed anyone....well thats okay then.

Mike.

Yeah, if he had mowed down a few pedestrians by driving along the foothpath at speed for a few miles then maybe he might consider resigning over the issue. Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Of course Punchestown are still advertising that they have 17 bars on the go .....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I also agree with the anti-drunk driving ranting that's afoot, but assuming we believe his story about the wine being 'forced' on him after two months on the wagon, should there be some sort of legislation brought in to make it a finable offence to give/serve your friend/aquaintance alcohol when you know they are a recovering alcoholic?

Nanny state- a bit alright, but seriously, should even publicans who are aware which of their customers are alcoholics be allowed to serve them alcohol, seeing as an alcoholic is more likely to drink-drive than a social drinker?

Possibly it's just a convenient excuse used by people caught drunk-driving that the alcohol was 'forced' on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He should face the full rigour of the law, I don't think he should lose his job and before anyone asks me what about the bad example he has set us I live my life by my own conscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,196 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If I had done this (and be convicted) whilest working in any job I have ever held, I would be sacked immediately. Why should this be any different?

• Advertisement

If I had done this (and be convicted) whilest working in any job I have ever held, I would be sacked immediately. Why should this be any different?

Would you, what do you work at? If I did it I would lose my licence , I would not expect to lose my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,196 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Railway Signalling Engineer

Here in the UK, an MP that done this would resign... simple as

It shouldn't but this is Ireland... a lot of things are not treated with the same moral outrage and backlash as in Britain.
    On a positive note,a Guard told me recently that its very rare that, they catch young drink drivers as theres nearly always a designated driver these days, the message has got home mostly there.
    It's the aul lads who arent changing as much.

Here in the UK, an MP that done this would resign... simple as

Not so I'm afraid

and again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Your link leads to a reg. form, mupp. Can you cut and paste, or take a screen shot?

• Advertisement

Shabadu wrote:
    Your link leads to a reg. form, mupp. Can you cut and paste, or take a screen shot?
    Sorry
    Drink-driving MP pays for 'mistake'
    By Stephen Moynihan, Mathew Murphy
    March 31, 2005
    Page Tools

* Email to a friend
    * Printer format

Liberal MP Andrew Olexander leaves court after losing his driving licence.

Liberal MP Andrew Olexander leaves court after losing his driving licence.
    Photo: Craig Abraham

Disgraced Liberal MP Andrew Olexander was yesterday convicted and fined $500 and had his licence cancelled for one year after he pleaded guilty to drink-driving.

Olexander registered a blood-alcohol reading of .129 after he smashed his car into a row of parked cars in Port Melbourne about 5am on July 11 last year.

The Melbourne Magistrates Court was told that Olexander had been at a Liberal Party function before meeting and drinking with friends.

Police prosecutor Tom Coulson said Olexander's car hit an Alfa Romeo on Beach Street, causing it to smash into two other parked cars.

Olexander, 40, who was driving a government car, caused $50,000 damage. The officer said police were called to the scene where Olexander failed to complete three breath tests. He was taken to The Alfred hospital complaining of chest pains.

Sergeant Coulson said a blood test taken at the hospital revealed Olexander had a blood-alcohol reading more than twice the legal driving limit.

Olexander's lawyer, Brendan Murphy, QC, said his client had been working 16 to 18 hours a day and was under pressure in his role as Opposition spokesman on arts, consumer affairs and youth affairs. The member for Silvan Province resigned from the portfolios after the incident and has not driven since.
    AdvertisementAdvertisement

Mr Murphy said Olexander's bid for preselection had been damaged and his client had been the subject of embarrassment and ridicule.

Olexander pleaded guilty to one charge of having more than the prescribed concentration of alcohol in a blood sample taken within three hours of him driving. Magistrate Robert Tuppen told Olexander: "Don't make this mistake ever again."

Outside court, Olexander expressed remorse and said this chapter of his life was now closed.

"Nine months ago I made a very serious mistake: I drove while under the influence of alcohol and I shouldn't have done that. I also drove while I was extremely fatigued and I shouldn't have done that," he said.

"It was a mistake and today I have paid the penalty for those mistakes."

Earlier this month, former Labor MP Carolyn Hirsh pleaded guilty to three charges, including driving while disqualified, after police pulled her over in Caulfield in September last year.

She lost her licence for six months in June 2004 after she was caught with a blood-alcohol reading of 0.07 per cent as she drove home from Parliament.

Ms Hirsh was dumped from the Labor Party after the Caulfield incident and is now an independent MP for Silvan Province.

Yesterday, Opposition Leader Robert Doyle said he would support Olexander's bid for preselection.

And again

Monday, September 7, 1998 Published at 11:23 GMT 12:23 UK

UK

Labour MP fined for drink-driving

Cann was found to be almost twice over the limit

Labour MP Jamie Cann has been fined £1,000 and disqualified from driving for 18 months after being convicted of drink-driving.

The MP for Ipswich was stopped by police on 29 August and found to be nearly twice over the legal limit.

Magistrates in Felixstowe heard that Cann, 52, had been drinking the previous night and was still over the limit.

He had been stopped while driving in Martlesham, near Ipswich, with his wife Rosemary, the court heard.

Officers had initially wanted to talk to him about speeding but smelled alcohol on his breath and carried out a breath test.

Readings showed that the MP had 64 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

'No excuses'

Cann had led Ipswich Borough Council for 12 years and had been MP for Ipswich for six years, said Jonathan Ripman, in Cann's defence.

Mr Ripman said Cann had a 25-year clean driving record.

[ image: Jamie Cann: Pledged to help strengthen drink-drive laws]
    Jamie Cann: Pledged to help strengthen drink-drive laws
    He said his client had been working in Ipswich as he normally did on the Saturday that he was stopped.

"He [Cann] stresses that he had not had a drink in daylight hours," said Mr Ripman.

"On the Friday evening he had gone to bed very late having been unable to sleep and he had had a drink.

"There are no excuses he puts to the court. He takes full responsibility for his actions and he has no-one to blame but himself."

Mr Ripman added: "It is a great personal embarrassment to him but he will take his punishment and pay his fine today."

Magistrates disqualified Cann from driving for 18 months and fined him £1,000 as well as ordering him to pay £40 costs.

'Well over the limit'

Outside court, Cann told reporters that he had been drinking at home because he was having difficulty sleeping.

"I'm not sure exactly how much I had. That's one of the problems of drinking at home rather than in a pub," said the MP.

"Suffice it to say I had had enough to put me well over the limit when I went to bed.

"But I had absolutely no inkling that I was still over the limit the following day. If we had had any inkling whatever that I was over the limit, Rosie [Cann's wife] would have driven."

"It is up to the people of the town of Ipswich whether they want to keep me on as an MP at the next election," he added.

"I feel that I've got a good record and that I work hard."

Cann said he had been contacted by many people who were sympathetic to the problem of being caught over the limit after the previous night's drinking.

"For a lot of people losing their licence in this way would also mean they would lose their job and be an absolute disaster.

"It is those people I feel sorry for if they did not realise that they might still be over the limit."

Cann pledged to try to persuade the government to bring in measures to help people check whether they were over the limit after drinking the night before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

this is in this weeks Bray People:

Ex- councillor charged with drink driving

FORMER FINE GAEL Cllr Brian Kenny has appeared before Bray District Court charged with drink driving.

Kenny, who has an address at Giltspur Heights, Bray is accused of driving under the influence of alcohol at O'Byrne Road, Bray on February 18 last.

The case was adjourned to May 27 next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I am afraid drink driving is not confined to any occupation or social class.

I would revoke a driving licence for 20 years.

But you'd have sad stories about Mr. Jones was marginally over the drink driving limit.

So my solution - Have a zero limit. You should not drink and drive.

But you'd have sad stories how Mr. Jones living out in the hicks cannot go for a beer.

So solution - If you drink - you should not be allowed to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

From Aertel...

The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has said
    that Dr Jim McDaid should not resign
    after being arrested earlier this week
    for drink driving.

Mr Ahern was speaking in Collooney, Co
    Sligo this evening.

He said that what happened is very
    disappointing and said that Dr McDaid
    has already unreservedly apologised and
    understands the implications of his
    actions.

Mr Ahern said that the law now has to
    take its course and there should not be
    any political implications for Dr
    McDaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

It begs the question ... what do you have to do, to be asked to resign from FF.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Cork wrote:
    So my solution - Have a zero limit. You should not drink and drive.
    I never have a drink if I'm driving and I'd like it if others would do the same but a zero limit is rediculously impractical. In the interests of legal practicality you need a margin of error whereby someone can have some alcohol in their bloodstream without necessarily having been drinking immediately beforehand. That said there probably is some leeway there for a slight reduction. Offhand I think we have a marginally higher limit than some of out European neighbours.

As for McDaid - what an idiot. He should recieve the maximum drink driving ban and a conviction for dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

As for McDaid - what an idiot. He should recieve the maximum drink driving ban and a conviction for dangerous driving.

There is no excuse for drunk driving.
    what do you have to do, to be asked to resign from FF.

Make a political football out of drink driving. The electorate of Donegal will have their say on Mr. McDaid.

I don't think comitting a crime is in itself a sacking offence niether is having a criminal record.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

quite frankly i think Jim McDaid needs made an example of and should go to jail. drink driving is a very serious matter, a car is the most lethal machine most people own. the government claims to be strong on traffic offences (seatbelts, speeding, mobile phones) and especially on drink driving. it is not acceptable for Tom Kitt to say that it's unfortunate, words like ashamed, disgraceful, unacceptable would have been much more appropriate.

IMO and this is just IMO, RTE have been very soft on him - has this anything to do with protecting Ann Doyle with whom Jim McDaid had a much publicised affair?

The man deserves no sympathy. At the minimum, he should lose his dail seat regardless of any court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Cork wrote:
    I don't think comitting a crime is in itself a sacking offence niether is having a criminal record.

Depending on your contract.

For a member of the legislature to disregard the laws of the land is apalling. Whilst messers Burke, lawlor, etc were rightly (and only after unreasonable delay) removed, their sins did not flippantly risk the lives of dozens of other citizens of this state for their own convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

uberwolf wrote:
    For a member of the legislature to disregard the laws of the land is apalling. Whilst messers Burke, lawlor, etc were rightly (and only after unreasonable delay) removed, their sins did not flippantly risk the lives of dozens of other citizens of this state for their own convenience.
    Of course tax evasion coupled with health cuts, did kill people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement