Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the newest netopia modem from eircom less configurable then older models?

Options
  • 27-04-2005 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Trying to set up bittorrent / azureus. Read through the forums and found some good guides, which seemed to mirror what you find else where. You go to Configure >> Advanced and you should find Pinhole settings etc - looks simple enough. However I have the netopia 3347 wifi router and the newest menu (which seems to be eircoms own ) seems "dumbed down" compared to screens of the 3300 series. I have seen screen shots online of detailed configuration screens for netopia routers but the options I have seem very limited. Going to expert mode >> configure >> Advanced only gives a few options, It has NAT options but only to set an port to open for a game/service - there seems to be no options anywhere to set up port forwarding from the router to my pc's ip. i.e opening a pinhole? Any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

i got mine a few months ago,
    firware version 7.3.3r0

thats full configurable,
    what version have you got?

edit//
    expert mpde > configure > advanced > nat - pinholes.

are you going that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Current Software Version: 7.4.2r2

EDIT : checked netopia site via router - this is the latest version available

Going to NAT yields no more options - dont have photoshop installed at the mo to do a screen shot - ill see if i can do anything with paint - sorry paints rubbish - image will end up being huge -

Been reading online about this - heres a guide to the netopia 3300 http://www.portforward.com/netopia/Cayman3300-portforwarding.htm screen shots show very detailed setups allowed - the eircom menu on the 3347 has nothing like this... have eircom butchered it to prevent people messing up their own routers and swamping them with support calls!

use paint,
    press ctrl + w - strecthc and skew,
    then save as a jpg,
    should be small enough,

use www.imageshack.com to host it.

Advanced menu

netopia2mq.th.jpg

Port Forwarding screen

nat7au.th.jpg

Clicking next is the same as back - just takes you back to the list of services
    No additonal options under NAT visible

EDIT : Sorry - Image shack really butchers the images...

• Advertisement

the images are fine, you click on them.

thats definitely some proprietary firmware,
    it says eircom on it ffs, the scroungy bastards.

you could try installing the older firmware....
    but eircom might not like that,
    perhaps try naming the service something differnt or select other ports,
    eircom might be trying to stop torrents?

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=7,E=0000000000026969811,K=2617,Sxi=3,Question1276=obj(1276):obj(1277)

considered downgrading the firmware - but think it may not be a good idea...
    it doesnt matter what you name the service by the way - i just used bittorrent - but it still wont work

i reckon this is deliberate action on eircoms part - looks to me that its actually quite difficult to mess up this router! Which is probably exactly what they want in a mass market router

oh well.. thanks for all the suggestions though, much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

It can still be set up and in my experience is easier.

You need to do to custom services and set up the ports you need changed.

Fairly easy to do but let me know if you need any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

For BitTorrent, make a separate pinhole for each port, e.g. Global Port Range 2333-2333, Base Host Port 2333, then do the same for 2334 etc. Works for me.

Also, be sure to click the Static NAT button.

think i was trying every combination of options except this one
    ... and your right its even easier

Step1 : Set the port range
    Step 2 : Enable Static Nat
    Step 3 : Switch firewall from medium to low

( by the way still works with sygate firewall and ms anti spyware running in case anyone is worried about security )

Thanks for all the advice guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭gav_69

Hi Could you go threw step by step how to do this please. I have been trying for ages to set it up. What speeds are you getting roughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Try telnet to it and see if the options you are looking for are still there,its a fairly friendly interface.

<edit> why i suggest trying this is sometimes the web interface does different stuff to the telnet interface , eg if you set teh password on some belkin routers via teh webpage , you can still telnet in with no password </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Chalk wrote:

The software installed on the eircom-supplied Netopia routers is fully functional. Like other ISP's that use the Netopia products, e.g. Swisscom, Netopia have simply incorporated the ISP's brand into the pages.

For detailed help with configuring the router to use Azureus, goto here:
    http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/Cayman3346/Azureus.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Chalk wrote:
    the images are fine, you click on them.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=7,E=0000000000026969811,K=2617,Sxi=3,Question1276=obj(1276):obj(1277)

ROFL, the paranoia!

Put your tinfoil hat back on and hide under the couch...

You seem to have some serious issue with eircom, did they beat you as a child ?

That just happens to be the latest firmware with their branding thrown on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

think i was trying every combination of options except this one
    ... and your right its even easier

Step1 : Set the port range
    Step 2 : Enable Static Nat
    Step 3 : Switch firewall from medium to low

( by the way still works with sygate firewall and ms anti spyware running in case anyone is worried about security )

Thanks for all the advice guys

Wow, I have a problem, look on boards and you guys are talking about exactly the right thing!

I'm trying to get Azureus and uTorrent set up, but everytime I enable Static NAT, my DSL goes down. (By the way, I'm not really techie at all so I'm not even sure if I'm explaining this properly) I followed the Static IP address guide on portforward.com but I'm still getting nowhere - is my IP Address supposed to be different from the URL I type in to go to the Netopia configuration menus? Anyway, I'm lost here so any help's appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

shroomfox wrote:
    Wow, I have a problem, look on boards and you guys are talking about exactly the right thing!

I'm trying to get Azureus and uTorrent set up, but everytime I enable Static NAT, my DSL goes down. (By the way, I'm not really techie at all so I'm not even sure if I'm explaining this properly) I followed the Static IP address guide on portforward.com but I'm still getting nowhere - is my IP Address supposed to be different from the URL I type in to go to the Netopia configuration menus? Anyway, I'm lost here so any help's appreciated.
    Yes. The address you type in to get to the menu's is the routers address. If you set your PC to the same address, then it won't send any packets to the router, because your PC will think that the packets are addressed to itself. If the router is 192.168.1.1, set the PC to 192.168.1.2 (for example - if there are other machines already on your LAN, make sure that the new address you pick isn't in use already).

On most (95%) home LANs, your DHCP address will never change, so just forget about the static IP address stuff anyway, and just assume your DHCP address won't change.

uTorrent supports UPnP. That means it'll automatically configure the router for you, if your router supports uPnP (I'd be surprised if it didn't), and you're running XP. No need to screw around with Static NAT or manually setting port forwarding, or "pinholes".

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

That's what I assumed, I have the laptop (wireless), desktop and the router all on different IP addresses. However, enabling UPnP in uTorrent doesn't help at all - my download speed is staying around 2-4Kbps. I also have a similar problem in Azureus (it says I have a NAT problem) but setting the port range for the two torrent programs helps neither of them.

I'm stuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redo

I had the same problem, all you have to do is to

Switch firewall from medium to low (if your ports are open). No need to define static IP

Advertisement