Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone 3G

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Rang to check and they said there was no charge. I'll let you know for sure when my next bill comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

i look forward to hearing about this you must be high user of your phone / own a business that has a account with vodafone or know somebody :)
    but i look forward hearing about ur bill :)

well my phone bill averages €200+ per month.....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Just on this topic,
    My 6630 was really acting up today
    so rang today with a compliant about my 6630 & 3G
    Spoke to a few different cust serv reps and got me a brand new fone
    nokia 2xxx (cant remember the exact one) for free.
    I tried to get a better fone, saying i needed bluetooth for use in the car (which I do)
    but no joy.

And i got comfirmation that it was totally free, no need to return my 6630 or the other nokia.

So it is possible :)

Sarge wrote:
    i look forward to hearing about this you must be high user of your phone / own a business that has a account with vodafone or know somebody :)
    but i look forward hearing about ur bill :)

Bill came in today - no sign of any phone charge on it. Also checked out My Vodafone on the website and it has updated to show my new phone on it as opposed to the 6630.

I dropped the 6630 into the Nokia centre in Cork City and they said it had to be sent off to Dublin for a "level 3 upgrade" so should have that back within the week.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Got my 2600 the other day, totally free
    not a bad little fone @ all (for free!).

Was chattin to a voda guy and he told me that there is a new software upgrade from voda & nokia for the 6630 due out in a week or so.
    he says it will fix 'all' known problems.

so here's hoping it will sort it out for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

does the phone not default back to 2G when there is no 3G signal, ie it can be used outside 3G areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Bond-007 wrote:
    does the phone not default back to 2G when there is no 3G signal, ie it can be used outside 3G areas?

the 6630 has a "feature" that it won't do 3g -> 2.5g handover

MiCr0 wrote:
    the 6630 has a "feature" that it won't do 3g -> 2.5g handover
    Do any of the 3G phone switch modes properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

v980 actually swtichs no bother with the software update and plus you can choose to turn off the 3g all together

oh thanks for letting me know about the 6230 , still surprised but hey fair play :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

All the 3G phones I've used will switch from 3G to 2G under some conditions. (I've used a v980, 6630 and se800). The problem I've found with the 6630 is that it will hang on to the weakest 3G signal it can before switching. I have had it handover, but it will resist. The weak 3G signal can be fairly unusable which doesn't help. In early testing of handover the other extreme happened in that phones would handover when in full 3G coverage, which the operators obviously dont want to happen.

If you take the phone into an area with nil 3G it should default back to 2G? IS that the case? I live in a non 3G area but will be in 3G coverage at work. Will it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Yes, I have had no problems with any of the handsets in this situation. Only problems have been with in call handover or in areas of very weak 3G signal that sometimes the 6630 resists handing over until there is zero 3G coverage and when in really weak areas the signal is unusable.

If you're not actually in a call, taking the phone from full 3G coverage to no 3G coverage should have no problems with it picking up the 2G network and then it refinding the 3G network going the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Bond-007 wrote:
    If you take the phone into an area with nil 3G it should default back to 2G? IS that the case? I live in a non 3G area but will be in 3G coverage at work. Will it work?

i (and other posters on here) have had issues with Vodafone supplied 6630 handset - missing calls, dropped calls, inaudible calls, connection failures... Vodafone launch the phone without a way for the user to choose GSM only which leaves it up to the handset to swap between the currently patchy Vodafone 3G network

a firmware update provides the feature to lock to the 2G network, which is currently the only reliable way of using the phone on Vodafone's network, you can read more about it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=238376

the Telephone Centre on Dawson St was able to update the firmware... last time I heard of someone sending their 6630 back to the Vodafone approved repair centre (MPRC) for a software/firmware update it came back with the original software/firmware still on it, so no GSM only option...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

why dont ye all download field test?

I got my flashed 6630 back today. I'll start using it again once it's charged and let you know if there is any improvement in its performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Thinking of getting the Nokia 6680 http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,70452,00.html I heard it is out tomorrow on RTG anyone know what this phone is like?

Advertisement