Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL installation query

• 27-04-2005 10:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Currently with UTV, but have ordered NTL due to their pending upgrade etc. I replaced UTV supplied modem with D-Link wireless ADSL modem/router, works like a dream.

In advance of my NTL installation, I've ordered a Linksys WRT54G wireless router to go with the cable modem. Few questions spring to mind however:

1) The NTL site details how the installation happens - I'm a bit worried as it mentions the technician configuring your PC etc - I don't like the sound of this at all. Exactly what changes must he/she make?. Can i just ask that the modem be installed and leave the rest to me, provided I'm given all the correct settings etc?.

2) Anyone any experience of asking the NTL person to immediately set it all up using the router, or is it best to let them do their thing, then add the wireless router myself later?

3) Once connected wirelessly, how exactly to I access the cable modem - for example if the router IP address is 192.168.X.X, do NTL provide a similar address for their modem, and how does that work in conjunction with the router?

Thanks in advance for any help - just want to be ready to go next week when install happens!

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

ArthurG wrote:
    or is it best to let them do their thing, then add the wireless router myself later?
    YES. Check the NTL cable modem installation guide - they won't touch your network. They set up BB on one machine, you sign, they leave, you surf :)
    Once connected wirelessly, how exactly to I access the cable modem - for example if the router IP address is 192.168.X.X, do NTL provide a similar address for their modem, and how does that work in conjunction with the router?
    the ntl cable modem is at 192.168.100.1
    usernames/passwords are admin/admin, or root/root
    tbh there's not much you can do at the cable modem; your configuration will be done at your WRT54G, which will be 192.168.1.1 or similar (see the link below).

tbh read the installation guide for the WRT54G it's straightforward, lots of online stuff on the Linksys webiste - WRT54G

hth,
    causal

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

They setup DHCP on your computer and connect to the modem. They then visit a particular NTL site to register the modem details, so yes unfortunately they need to do it on your PC, you can't do it.

When they set it up for me, I left them set it up using XP directly and when they left I then setup the wireless router myself and connected it to Linux :)

Advertisement