Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thesis layout questions

Options
  • 27-04-2005 10:27pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm (thankfully) coming to the end of my thesis, and I just remembered the whole "thesis abstract" dealy that's supposed to go at the start... can anyone give me tips on this... and, well.. what the hell it entails?

From what I remember it's some kind of short summary of your thesis but I need guidance!!!

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Well arent you the lucky bunny. Got my thesis (FYP) guidelines next to me,its for a Mech Eng but presume its the samish. Mine is due next year though
    4.2 Abstract
    An abstract, or summary, in English not exceeding 300 words or one page in length, should be bound as an integral part of the thesis, and should precede the main text. It should be printed in single spacing and should indicate the author and title of the thesis in the form of a heading. The style of writing for this section is technical and concise, with economical use of words.It should be written only when every other section of the report has been completed.Students sometimes find it difficult to accept that a statement should be made in the abstract, knowing that an identical or similar statement appears in the body of the report. The summary should be regarded as an independent section which is meaningful when read in isolation from the remainder of the report. In writing the abstract, therefore, one should look at each completed section of the report, extract key statements, and present them as concisely as possible. It is important to include in the abstract any significant findings of the study or experimentally determined value, the determination of which is a major feature of the investigation. Reference should be made, wherever possible, to the significance of the results.

For the full report go to www.mae.ul.ie if ya want.

Nukem

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Nukem, you're a legend. Many, many thanks for that, I owe ye one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

i;m nearly finished my thesis too
    and I HAD TOTALLY FORGOTTEN ABOUT THE ABSTRACT!!!!!!
    legends, thats what ye are.

Advertisement