Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blairs war.

Options
  • 27-04-2005 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭

Ill expand further on this as I get more info but apparently the legal advice on the war in Iraq from the attorney general has been leaked tonight.
    Early reports would seem to indicate that a case could be made for it being legal but that there was very clear scope for legal challenge to the credibility for the case for war.
    So not beyond reasonable doubt then.
    It seems the proof of innocents regarding conviction in a court of law is higher than that of the proof needed to go to war according to the Blair government..............

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The UK AG's advice has been published in full:

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/files/pdf/Iraq%20Resolution%201441.pdf

Its a 13 page document. It clearly outlines to me that there was no legal basis for the approach of a direct US and UK attack on Iraq. The AG further cautioned that any action, if taken, had to be appropriate to the threat. The document i quite fair. It also indicates that if war took place without a second resolution, that the UK Government and personnel could be taken to court, international and/or in the UK.

The question I have now for the UK/English voters are:

1. If the vast majority of voters in the UK were against this war at the time, and are against it now, and if the Labour party government took the UK to war illegally, how can any of you vote for Labour with a clear conscience?

2. Who is now going to take the Government and Blair to court?

It looks like the legal process is the only way that Tony will understand. Get him in the dock.

I was a big fan of Blair and Labour in 1997 and looked forward to their policy implementation. They have done ok, and have failed in some areas. But the war on Iraq stank of neo-conservatism, and was anti-Labour policies.

The UK voters now have a tough decision. They can vote Lib Dems, and hope that a) the parliament is a hung parliament, with no clear leading party b) Blair will resign as a rfesult of the poor election showing, giving the leadership to Brown c) the Lib Dems and Labour form a very strong coalition

redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 17,199 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Unfortunately, I am in such a safe Labour seat that Labour could put a monkey up and people will still vote for him. The absence of any form of PR really means it is difficult to oust the chancer of an MP. I will be voting Lib Dem anyway.

I hope Rose Gentle in our neighbouring constituency comes close

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

1. If the vast majority of voters in the UK were against this war at the time, and are against it now, and if the Labour party government took the UK to war illegally, how can any of you vote for Labour with a clear conscience?

The vast majority of poll respondents might have been against the war - though those numbers see sawed radically based on news - but its not fair to say the vast majority of voters were until they vote.

So far the only government punished by voters for participation in Iraq might be the Italian government, though theyre recent reverses in local elections might be based more on local issues, I'm not familiar enough to say one way or the other. The Spanish government fell, true, but they were cruising for a comftable victory until they started lying about ETA involvement in the Madrid bombings - that sparked the anger.

Blair is also cruising for victory - primarily because even his arch-detractors probably couldnt stomach the alternative of a Conservitive victory. The Tories seem to be going the Kerry route to defeat - "Hey, at least were not Blair!" since their actual campaign issues collapsed in on themselves.

I guess in closing, polls mean feck all really- its votes that count.

As for the AGs advice, from what I know his final analysis was that it was legal for the UK to invade? Surely his thoughts previous to his final conclusion dont invalidate that?

Sand wrote:

As for the AGs advice, from what I know his final analysis was that it was legal for the UK to invade? Surely his thoughts previous to his final conclusion dont invalidate that?

Nope but it will give an insight into what pressure, if any, was put on him to ensure he came to that conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

Whether the war was legal or not is one issue. But how many people think it was morally right? I do.

So what it comes down to for me is, which prevails? Morals or law? Frankly, I don't really know. I've been anti-war since it began, but recently...my minds been fluctuating.

• Advertisement

Whether the war was legal or not is one issue.

Surely the most important issue and quite frankly the only issue at stake?
    But how many people think it was morally right? I do.

Morally, I do not agree with the slaughter of 100,000 civilians
    So what it comes down to for me is, which prevails? Morals or law? Frankly, I don't really know. I've been anti-war since it began, but recently...my minds been fluctuating.

An illegal war is a war crime therefore is it is morally repugnant. They do not sit side by side and you pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think the War was morally right as well. As for not voting Labour because they went to war illegally I don't see that happening. I assume that the Electorate in the Uk are similar to ourseves and the majority will give their vote on local/ personal issues rather than Labours international policy.

To some but probably not enough to make an impact at this stage.
    True, its even messier now though that foreign insurgents seem to discard any moral regard for the lives of Iraqis either.
    An illegal war is a war crime therefore is it is morally repugnant. They do not sit side by side and you pick one.
    Would you have said that if the war was sanctioned? Surely the repugnancy isn't determined by the legal question, its about the actions, reasons and consequences.
    After all Nato's action in the Bosnian conflict was also illegal(purely because Russia was vetoe'ing any attempt to sanction it), yet a lot of people generally accept that war to intervene in attempt to end genocidal attacks on muslims was not a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

No, it's not the most important issue. At best it's a side issue. It's much more important to me that an act is 'right' rather than 'lawful', even though the two converge for most issues.

100,000 civilians weren't slaughtered. It was estimated that 100,000 people more are dead today than would be if the invasion didn't occour. There's a significant difference, but then it's ok to lie or smudge the truth when it's to support a position you agree with isn't it?

It hasn't been found to be illegal. I don't know for sure one way or the other, but can you show me where it says that illegal acts of war are actually war crimes? Saying something is repugnant purely because it is against the law is a rather laughable position to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shedseven

redspider wrote:
    The UK AG's advice has been published in full:

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/files/pdf/Iraq%20Resolution%201441.pdf

Its a 13 page document. It clearly outlines to me that there was no legal basis for the approach of a direct US and UK attack on Iraq. The AG further cautioned that any action, if taken, had to be appropriate to the threat. The document i quite fair. It also indicates that if war took place without a second resolution, that the UK Government and personnel could be taken to court, international and/or in the UK.

The question I have now for the UK/English voters are:

2. Who is now going to take the Government and Blair to court?

It looks like the legal process is the only way that Tony will understand. Get him in the dock.

I was a big fan of Blair and Labour in 1997 and looked forward to their policy implementation. They have done ok, and have failed in some areas. But the war on Iraq stank of neo-conservatism, and was anti-Labour policies.

The UK voters now have a tough decision. They can vote Lib Dems, and hope that a) the parliament is a hung parliament, with no clear leading party b) Blair will resign as a rfesult of the poor election showing, giving the leadership to Brown c) the Lib Dems and Labour form a very strong coalition

redspider

You make some interesting points. To answer your questions as an English voter:

1. Not every English person votes Labour. I don't and probably won't ever. I think this will have an effect on Labour support - but not I fear, enough to remove them from office.

2. I certainly think that Blair has a lot of questions to answer, not least from the families of those who lost loved ones as a result of the conflict, be they Iraqi, British, American or whatever nationality.

I think Blair has too close ties with Bush for the UK's comfort. We could be paying for this war for many years to come in many respects and not just financially either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sand wrote:

Ah, but its not the AG people have an issue with. Its His Toniness having come out and made statements to the effect that the AG was unequivocal in his determination, and that there was never any doubt in either Blair's mind, or expressed in any way from the AG at any point, that this war may be illegal.

At no time did Blair come out and say "well, I've had the AG looking into it for a bit now, and while he hasn't finalised everything, the way things look at the minute....well....it could go either way". Instead, he came out with "There is no doubt...."

<edit>
    Having looked a bit more closely at the doc linked to in post 2 above....

The AG states in there that these are his conclusions. Was this not the final document that both Blair and the AG subsequently said cast no doubt on the issue of legality whatsoever? If so, then its even worse then I thought.
    </edit>

In other words, as I understand it, the issue is that Blair misled the public about what the AG had told him...even if he didn't mislead them about what the AG's final decision was.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Surely the most important issue [legal, as opposed to moral] and quite frankly the only issue at stake?

I think you are correct if you are referring to the issue from the perspective of the AG - the AG should not have considered the issue from the moral standpoint, only the legal.

However, like others, I believe that we as individuals need to consider the moral over the legal - murder, rape and genocide can be made legal dependant on the geo-political landscape. I suppose there are no moral absolutes either, but I would rather base my decision on my moral beliefs rather than my obligation to follow the letter of the law as a citizen.

What is this I am hearing from this thread? It is sometimes OK to ignore the law and follow your morals if you believe them to be right? Does that make the people that do this criminals or follow criminal behaviour?

Onto the Iraq war.

In my opinion it is wrong morally and legally (although I do accept that I am not a legal expert but neither are many others who have a view on this).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I thought the AG reported that the Blair government's actions (or rather the actions of the United Kingdom and its armed forces) were legal? Does anyone have a list of relevant organisations (whatever they may be) that have analysed the events and have come to the conclusion that the actions of the Coalition of the Willing were illegal?

ionapaul wrote:
    I thought the AG reported that the Blair government's actions were legal? Does anyone have a list of relevant organisations (whatever they may be) that have analysed the events and have come to the conclusion that the actions of the Coalition of the Willing were illegal?

Just quickly, one that comes to mind is the Head of the UN, Kofi Annan, who stated what the UN legal team advised him to state, that the invasion was illegal. The UN administration fully back this up. Thats just one source from the top of my head. No doubt there are countless others. There was some talk of a judge in Belgium taking up the gauntlet to get Tony in the dock in a Belgian court, but Belgium are in Nato so this approach was snuffed out.

People are making very good points in their postings, I hope to get to them in due course, including the moral argument.

The key point is that the AG's advice was that if the action (ie: invasion) went ahead, then it could be conisered by some (the important some, such as an international court), that the actions of Britain were illegal. His advice in his secret memo and now available on the No.10 website, was to proceed with caution and he advised that it would be necessary to get a 2nd resolution.

So, that is clear it would seem. The UN did not pass a second resolution, the US and the UK were seeking one. Now, why would they try and seek one if they didnt think they needed it?

However, in the memo he also outlined that "on the other hand" it could be considered that there is no need for a 2nd UN resolution sanctioning an invasion, because of the intepretation of the word "consider" in some of the sections, OP4 or OP12. The US were taking it to mean that the US did not have to get a 2nd resolution to attack Iraq, basing it on a resolution for the 1991 war. The French/Russian/China "axis" understood it to be different. The AG concluded that the French/Russian/China opinion was likely to be the viewpoint taken by an international court.

But it hasnt come to an independent international court. Will Blair ever say, ah yes, lets examine this in the Hague, I am innocent. No he wont.

I think it is clear to all and sundry that Blair took Britain to war, more or less on his own.

The other thing to consider is that the AG is the state solicitor, appointed by the Government. It is in his interest to look after his Client, the government. When it comes down to it, who is going to take the US and the UK to court over their invasion of Iraq? Thats the situation that the AG found himself in.

Its a bit like a solicitor advising someone on a crime where they know they arent going to get arrested for it. The advice in the end doesnt matter. The solicitor is not a judge. He does his job by weighing up the pro's and cons.

So, Tony is adamant that, and I quote: "I took the decision". He alone is responsible for Britain being a part of the war.

I think Labour voters should do the right thing, and vote Lib Dems, especially in those seats that are close (ie: the marginals). A small wing in votes could have a massive swing in seats, due to the "democratic" first-past-the-post system.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    I think Labour voters should do the right thing, and vote Lib Dems,

Why?

Most (I'll quantify that in a sec) voters in Britain apparently don't see the war as a significant enough issue to swing their vote either way. Just as - this time round - most voters don't see EU-related issues as a vote-swinger.

If I'm against Blair, should I refuse to support Labour, even though Labour will - in my opinion - do a better overall job then any other government if put back into power? Same applies if its everything to do with the war that I'm against, and not just Blair.

Now...that word "most". CNN (yes, yes, Corporate News Network, I know) ran an article about the upcoming British elections yesterday. They initially focussed on why the EU went from a central issue last time round to one no-one is talking about this time. Then they moved onto the whole "Blair under siege" media frenzy, and pointed out that as far as research has shown, less than 3% of British voters see the war and/or Blair's conduct (in terms of whats been found out so far) as a reason to swing their vote.

SImply put...they see local/national issues as being more important then whether or not Tony lied about the legality of killing all those non-Britannians.

Its all well and good to take a firm stance on a single issue and say that everyone should do the same...but if we all did so on the items that various ppl tell us we should....we'd never vote for anyone.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Why?

Taking the Labour voters I know. I also know a Labour councillor who happens to sit beside me at Celtic Park

1. They oppose the war in Iraq
    2. They oppose the fact that their leader lied about the war
    3. They oppose the ID card thingy
    4. They oppose the anti-terrorist laws and infinges of civil liberty
    5. They oppose 3rd level tuition fees
    6. They oppose the whole movement of the Labour Party towards Thatcherism
    7. They oppose Council Tax as an unfair measure to tax people

When I discuss things with them, they accept that they do not actually support Labour as embodied by Blair. They are continuing their support of Labour in the hope that someday, Labour will see sense (their sense). They are effectively, voting Labour out of some sense of blind loyalty to what they believe Labour to mean. Clientelism is alive and well in Glasgow as well. They shudder when it is suggested that the Lib Dems are the nearest thing to what they believe in.

It is very hard to get people to stop voting for a party that people have supported for generations and this coupled with the 'great' FPTP system mean people will vote Labour in Glasgow.

It would be interesting to see how close the battleground is in England and see if Labour will require Scotland to bail them out.

They are effectively, voting Labour out of some sense of blind loyalty to what they believe Labour to mean. Clientelism is alive and well in Glasgow as well. They shudder when it is suggested that the Lib Dems are the nearest thing to what they believe in.

It is very hard to get people to stop voting for a party that people have supported for generations
    I agree...but given that I recall when Labour won a landslide over Conservatives only a short few years ago, and that prior to that we saw a long run of Conservative power, I don't think there are that many who are voting "generationally" (so to speak).

Yes, there are "black spots" for both parties, where you'll find exactly the problem that you're outlining...but given that Labour only won their landside majority in 97 (wasn't it?)....

It would be interesting to see how close the battleground is in England and see if Labour will require Scotland to bail them out.[/QUOTE]

Taking the Labour voters I know. I also know a Labour councillor who happens to sit beside me at Celtic Park

1. They oppose the war in Iraq
    2. They oppose the fact that their leader lied about the war
    3. They oppose the ID card thingy
    4. They oppose the anti-terrorist laws and infinges of civil liberty
    5. They oppose 3rd level tuition fees
    6. They oppose the whole movement of the Labour Party towards Thatcherism
    7. They oppose Council Tax as an unfair measure to tax people

Then isn't it better to judge it by the actual person running, rather than their leader. As you said yourself, you sit beside a Labour councillor who goes along with the views expressed above, so, given the chance, you would vote against him?

In my opinion it is wrong morally

Explain how freeing a nation from an evil tyrant is morally wrong. Explain how invading a country, with the support of it's civilians, is morally wrong. Explain how installing democracy to a country is morally wrong.

Please don't quote me the 100,000 figure, it's highly speculative and if the war hadn't happened, that many people would probably still have died as a result of Hussein's power.

Face it, when you heard the 100,000 figure, deep down, you were delighted that you had a new figure to back your argument up. You may have expressed outrage at the figure, but admit that you felt a hint of delight at the fact that you now had more ammo.

• Advertisement

Then isn't it better to judge it by the actual person running, rather than their leader.

The problem is that the way the Blair government has been working is that it is ran very centrally. So much so, that even those in the centre have resigned, such as Cooke and Short. Blair and his close advisors have been running the party and the government is close to a dictatorship, with absolute control. Labour members fear of speaking out, such as the councillor mentioned. Many MP's are only in the parliament because of the popularity of Tony Blair, not because of the opinions adopted by the local candidate. Its not just 10's of MP's in that situation. Its hundreds and hundreds.

When voters vote, they are not voting for a local personality who can openly express their views. MP's must follow the party line and the whip system, or else may find themselves out of the party and not back in parliament at the next election. So when you vote, you are voting for someone, if they are a member of a party, who will be a part of that party in the parliament. A vote for Joe Bloggs (labour candidate) in somewhere-shire is a vote for Tony Blair's team, government, manifesto, etc. Unless your local Labour MP is saying that he will endeavour to change the leadership of Labour as soon as possible, then he is backing Tony. If you as a voter dont want Blair to lead Britain, then you shouldnt vote for that candidate.

As the current crop of Labour MP's failed to ditch Tony, they had their chance, and as Brown seems to have decided himself whether through lack of ambition or otherwise of only taking up the leadership when Tony decides to go, then it means Labour voters have a big part to play if they want to change the leadership.

Opinion poll after opinion poll is showing that Labour would win far more seats under Gordon Brown than under Blair. Not just 10's of seats but in the region of 100-200, depending on how this thing turns out. If you are a real Labour supporter, it may seem ironic, but if you are in a marginal constituency, it may be better to vote for Lib Dems or even Conservative if they are close in the running. Or perhaps do what many will be doing, and not vote at all. The apathy for this election has grown steadily during the campaign and its highest among Labour followers.

Dont get me wrong, I am not a Lib Dem fanatic. They have huge weaknesses, among them is Charles Kennedy. Whilst a nice chap, he is not charismatic enough to win votes and is not strong enough in debates, etc. Blair is more conservative than many of the Tories and collects many disaffected Tory voters. Many of them will stay with him. Also, many english voters will not vote for a party that has someone that is Scottish. Its not a racist thing. The Welsh leader of the Labour party (who's name escapes me) also had the same problem.

Also I was a bit dismayed that Kennedy said that if the parliament is hung (no single party majority) that the Lib Dems will *not* entertain a coalition with Labour. That doesnt make any sense to me. How will the Lib Dems ever get into government at the rate they are going if they are not prepared to go into a coalition? It also seems strange for a party that is promoting PR which is a system that will produce seat distributions that are likely to require more coalitions. Tactically, all he needed to say is that "we will consider government arrangements after the election, blah, blah, blah, we plan to be a bigger party and use our increased mandate effectively, blah, etc".

I was completely shocked by Kennedy during those Parliament debates on the Iraq war, just before going, etc, when Kennedy really let Blair off the hook, and didnt fight his corner at all. Also, lets cast our mind back to those votes. It was an open vote, so no party whips were used. It passed, but does everyone remember that the majority of Labour MP's, most of them half afraid of Tony, voted against it !! It took the Tories to pass it.

I dont envy a Labour voter (ie: someone who voted Labour last time) in this election as they have a tough choice, even a lack of choice.

Redspider

Unfortunately, I am in such a safe Labour seat that Labour could put a monkey up and people will still vote for him. The absence of any form of PR really means it is difficult to oust the chancer of an MP. I will be voting Lib Dem anyway. I hope Rose Gentle in our neighbouring constituency comes close

I fully agree that the FPTP system is a real spanner in the works where there is such a large Labour lead. As you say, if Labour ut up a monkey he will get through, on the Labour franchise. The only way to get Labour out in such a constituency is for the smaller parties to form pacts. They could swap votes with other like constinuencies. This requires organisation but it is possible. In essence they decide not to run candidates against each other so as to oust Labour.

Thanks for that URL of Rose Gentle. I read her website and she is of course spot on. It would be an interesting dynamic if any of these candidates would win some seats.

Q: is it possible to take the UK government to say a European court over the FPTP system as it is undemocratic for minorities?

The large parties dont need PR so I cant see either Labour or the Tories trying to bring it in any decade soon. The polar caps and the Greenland ice sheet will be melted before that happens.

Whether the war was legal or not is one issue. But how many people think it was morally right? I do. I've been anti-war since it began, but recently...my minds been fluctuating.

In terms of a moral judgement, its something like this. The majority of people (in the UK, Ireland and most countries) and especially those with some education were against the war because they thought that it could lead to many thousands of innocent people dying and a worse situation, especially given the fact that all avenues of diplomatic power were not fully exhausted. In fact, at the time, the diplomatic approach was working and progress was being made.

So what has happened. The risks and fears that people had has turned out to be true. Many thousands have died: approx: 25,000. That’s 10 times 9-11. Ten times! - by the UK and US governments – and done illegally. An illegal war. According to the UN charter that the US and the UK have signed up to, an illegal war is when a country invades another without due cause. An illegal war is a war crime. The leaders of the countries at the time can be brought before the War Crimes Tribunal in Den Haag. Anyone want to volunteer to do a citizens arrest on Tony then?

Useful sites are:

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/
    http://www.countthecasualties.org.uk/
    http://www.iraqbodycount.net/press/index.php#pr9

Why did the US and the UK want to go to war with Iraq? Well the answers were obvious then and remain obvious, it was about Oil, an old score to settle with Saddam, the neo-conservative power in the White house, etc, etc. They were looking for any excuse to make this “war on terror” legal. First they looked for links with Al-Qaeda. But there were none. So few that even they couldn’t lie abouit it bare-faced. Then someone forged documents about nuclear making equipment from Niger. They talked about WMD. The UK intelligence services documents were enhanced (= sexed up) to include a 45 min claim. The US showed made-up examples of mobile bio labs to the UN. This was a battle of words, posturing, etc. I followed it closely over many months and it ran for over a year. And in the end I ran out of energy, I couldn’t fight it. And yet I couldn’t believe that the politicians in the UK also ran out of energy, etc. Even people committed suicide over it (David Kelly). Ministers resigned over. People lost their jobs. But here’s the thing:

UK soldiers lost their lives
    US soldiers lost their lives (the government has censored coffins brought back from being shown, so much for freedom of press and democracy)
    Iraqi soldiers and personel have lost their lives
    Iraqi people have lost their lives
    Iraqi women and children
    Not 10’s, not 100’s, but 1,000’s, tens of thousands

think about it.

Tony Blair has a lot of blood on his hands. He has been driven by the hand of history to do what he feels what is morally right. Yet, the world sees that what he has done is morally wrong. True, Labour may have the best overall policy, but to me and to the world at large, anyone that has been responsible for so much death and mayhem that is continuing (another 40 or so dead Fri), has to be voted out, whatever the cost. The Labour party will recover, and will get back perhaps to what the roots of the party want. But the difficult step is now needed. Blair is the leader, get rid of Blair. Its that simple.

Redspider

bonkey wrote:
    Most voters in Britain apparently don't see the war as a significant enough issue to swing their vote either way. If I'm against Blair, should I refuse to support Labour, even though Labour will - in my opinion - do a better overall job then any other government if put back into power? ... less than 3% of British voters see the war and/or Blair's conduct (in terms of whats been found out so far) as a reason to swing their vote. SImply put...they see local/national issues as being more important then whether or not Tony lied about the legality of killing all those non-Britannians.

Yes, according to the pollsters the interest in the Iraq issue is low. People are sick to the back teeth of this issue. I’m sick to the back teeth of this issue! But whilst there is still trouble happening in Iraq, whilst Tony is grinning there like a Chesire cat, and whilst innocent people have been killed and are being killed, whether non-British or not, and plenty of British soldiers have been killed there, surely something should be done about it.

It’s a question of where is your bottom line. If a Labour voter believes that what Blair has done was wrong, and if the party has other policies that the voter believes are correct, does the voter say, “ok, I will vote Labour, I’ll take them warts and all. I don’t like some parts but there are parts that I like”. Or is this issue with Blair and Iraq a show-stopper? Will a voter in effect veto their vote for Labour, saying, “well, this issue is important enough for me to make a stand, remove my support for Labour on this occasion as Tony who has blood on his hands, there are 10’s of thousands of people dead as a result of this, and he is still in charge”.

Each time I see him on TV now he is sounding more and more like a git, pardon my French. With a concerted effort of Labour voters in some key margin seats, you could see a very reduced Labour majority, or indeed a minority government, perhaps the Lib Dems haven't ruled that one out completely, Tony would have to resign.

I wont get my hopes up, but as Kevin Keegan once said, "I would love it, if that happened, love it".

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 shedseven

ziggy67 wrote:
    That is true. It is defo a disadvantage to be a non-english party leader, Neil Kinnock was the Welsh Labour Party leader you were referring to.

BTW despite the way he talks & the way he acts Blair is actually Scottish!

If every English voter was as one-eyed as this, none of the three main party leaders would fair too well as none of them are English! Fortunately, a lot of English voters don't care about the nationality of the party leader - just what they represent. Much as I dislike Blair and his actions over many things - including Iraq - I fear he will be returned May 6th due largely to voter apathy and weak alternatives.

redspider wrote:
    In terms of a moral judgement, its something like this. The majority of people (in the UK, Ireland and most countries) and especially those with some education were against the war because they thought that it could lead to many thousands of innocent people dying and a worse situation, especially given the fact that all avenues of diplomatic power were not fully exhausted. In fact, at the time, the diplomatic approach was working and progress was being made.

So what has happened. The risks and fears that people had has turned out to be true. Many thousands have died: approx: 25,000. That’s 10 times 9-11. Ten times! - by the UK and US governments – and done illegally. An illegal war. According to the UN charter that the US and the UK have signed up to, an illegal war is when a country invades another without due cause. An illegal war is a war crime. The leaders of the countries at the time can be brought before the War Crimes Tribunal in Den Haag. Anyone want to volunteer to do a citizens arrest on Tony then?

Useful sites are:

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/
    http://www.countthecasualties.org.uk/
    http://www.iraqbodycount.net/press/index.php#pr9

Why did the US and the UK want to go to war with Iraq? Well the answers were obvious then and remain obvious, it was about Oil, an old score to settle with Saddam, the neo-conservative power in the White house, etc, etc. They were looking for any excuse to make this “war on terror” legal. First they looked for links with Al-Qaeda. But there were none. So few that even they couldn’t lie abouit it bare-faced. Then someone forged documents about nuclear making equipment from Niger. They talked about WMD. The UK intelligence services documents were enhanced (= sexed up) to include a 45 min claim. The US showed made-up examples of mobile bio labs to the UN. This was a battle of words, posturing, etc. I followed it closely over many months and it ran for over a year. And in the end I ran out of energy, I couldn’t fight it. And yet I couldn’t believe that the politicians in the UK also ran out of energy, etc. Even people committed suicide over it (David Kelly). Ministers resigned over. People lost their jobs. But here’s the thing:

UK soldiers lost their lives
    US soldiers lost their lives (the government has censored coffins brought back from being shown, so much for freedom of press and democracy)
    Iraqi soldiers and personel have lost their lives
    Iraqi people have lost their lives
    Iraqi women and children
    Not 10’s, not 100’s, but 1,000’s, tens of thousands

think about it.

Tony Blair has a lot of blood on his hands. He has been driven by the hand of history to do what he feels what is morally right. Yet, the world sees that what he has done is morally wrong. True, Labour may have the best overall policy, but to me and to the world at large, anyone that has been responsible for so much death and mayhem that is continuing (another 40 or so dead Fri), has to be voted out, whatever the cost. The Labour party will recover, and will get back perhaps to what the roots of the party want. But the difficult step is now needed. Blair is the leader, get rid of Blair. Its that simple.

Redspider

I have been arguing those same points for so long, it's not funny! I went to the marches, I went to the meetings and signed the petitions. But there was always something lingering in the back of my mind. The majority of Iraqis supported the war effort, and this is something I couldn't ignore any longer. It is for this reason that I believe the war was morally right on the grand scheme of things. I don't agree with the way Bush or Blair went about it, I don't think for a minute that either of them had selfless reason, but the outcome of their actions have not been bad. They freed a nation. That is why I believe it was morally right. Why I think it was wrong overall though, is outlined in this article I wrote a few days ago:

Only a few days have passed since the UK Attorney General’s first document of advice to Tony Blair was at last leaked. It has caused controversy within the UK media. It turns out that the Attorney had serious legal reservations only a few days before Iraq was invaded. Several days later he changed his mind, suggestions have it that he was leaned on to do so.

Whether or not he was leaned on, the fact remains that the highest legal lad in the land of Britain thought, at some stage anyway, that the legal case for war had serious holes in it.

We all know by now that the infamous WMDs probably didn’t exist. The case for war was made on dodgy intelligence. When the WMD case failed, George Bush decided that the war was actually fought to stop Al-Qaeda, because Saddam was secretly funding Osama Bin Laden & Co. However, this wasn’t exactly true, at all. So Bush & Blair then decided that the war was fought to free the Iraqis from Saddam Hussein. I believe this to be an extremely cynical move, but they had a point. It came too late though.

Saddam Hussein was a bad man, a terrible leader who blackmailed, tortured and killed millions of people. He gassed 1 million Kurds, wiped out trade-unionists and allowed 500,000 Iraqis to starve to death, while laughing in his palaces eating several racks of lamb at each meal, probably.

So regime change was good, right? Wrong! No wait, right! Iraq is now in the process of forming a secular democratic government, giving women equal rights and trade-unionists a prominent role. The human cost of the war was a tragedy, yes. But it is nothing compared to the human cost of Saddam Hussein’s regime. The highest estimate of deaths in the war is 100,000, but nearest to that, we have estimates of 15,000 or there about. How long would it have been before those 15,000 people were killed by Saddam? Not long. So invading Iraq and toppling Hussein was morally right? I believe so.

In brief, I believe the Iraq War was morally right, but legally wrong. So which must prevail? It’s a terribly hard question to answer, believe me; I’ve tried for a while now.

I digress. Laws are written in order to maintain morals. So is there something wrong with international law, or is this just an exception to rule? I believe that there are fundamental problems with the way international law is currently written. As it stands, the leader of the country has the sovereignity, not the people of the country. The people of Iraq have consistantly shown their support for the war, but because Saddam had the sovereignity, it wasn't for them to choose. Thus the war was illegal.

So if the law is fundamentally wrong, the war was right? I don’t believe so. Contrary to popular belief, laws are not made to be broken. To quote the UK Independent;

Respect for the rule of law is an absolute pre-condition for the civilised conduct of international life, as it is for sound government everywhere. It is a principle that Britain preaches abroad and it is not something that we, or anyone else, can float with impunity.

In other words, powerful governments can’t just decide that a certain law shouldn’t apply to them, no matter how morally correct it is to do so. If they do, the law loses its value, and other nations may feel justified in break a different international law.

International laws need to be re-read, re-analysed and re-adjusted. Until then, we must follow them because to break them disables your right to give out about anyone breaking the law. Be it tyrants breaking UN regulations, a corporation exploiting workers against international law or even a thug mugging an old lady. The law may be flawed, but it serves an important purpose. Until it they are fixed, they must be upheld.

Thank You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Earthman wrote:
    To some but probably not enough to make an impact at this stage.

True, its even messier now though that foreign insurgents seem to discard any moral regard for the lives of Iraqis either.

You mean those approx 150,000 foreign fighters?

Sarcasm is alive and well with you sovtek :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

Explain how freeing a nation from an evil tyrant is morally wrong.

Thats dubious when the US and UK governments helped put him in power in the first place, supported him for thirty some odd years and gave him all that WMD, oh and encouraged him to "attack his neighbors" and not batting an eye when he was "killing his own people".
    Explain how invading a country, with the support of it's civilians, is morally wrong. Explain how installing democracy to a country is morally wrong.

I guess that's why many thought that the "election" in January was to vote out the US military?
    Where was it that 300,000 people showed up to protest the US presence a few weeks back?

Please don't quote me the 100,000 figure, it's highly speculative and if the war hadn't happened, that many people would probably still have died as a result of Hussein's power.

And the report also states that it was mostly at the hands of the US military and mostly civilians.
    Of course the people that should be keeping count aren't and reports like this make it obvious as to why.

Face it, when you heard the 100,000 figure, deep down, you were delighted that you had a new figure to back your argument up. You may have expressed outrage at the figure, but admit that you felt a hint of delight at the fact that you now had more ammo.

I was delighted at the fact that someone bothered to count how many brown people were being killed.

Advertisement