Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architecture

• 27-04-2005 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into doing Architecture, and when researching the courses, I found that in DIT they look for a portfolio, and the points for '04 were 576!?

What sort of portfolio do they look for? I was thinking of going to art college so I have a design-based one in the making, but I'm not really sure what they look for in Architecture?

Also, how many points does the portfolio/suitability test count for? I presume all those 576 points aren't supposed to come from your Leaving Cert...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

Lots of sketches of buildings!
    Cad based drawings would help too. not too sure about the points breakdown,im sure its on their site somewhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Any more advice? Do they look for computer skills? What about 3d models?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

If you're doing the LC in four weeks time, I've a strong feeling that you're too late to reconsider for this course. If, however, you're in 5th year, fair play, best of luck to you. I'm looking to commence studying Architecture in September. DIT's course is my CAO #2 (530 pure LC points required for UCD) Basically there are two stages in the DIT selection procedure:

Stage 1:
    You apply through CAO and get called for a suitability test, which took place the week after St Patrick's Day. 70% is required here to advance to Stage 2.
    Basically the suitability test assesses your mental manipulative skills, spatial relations, sequences and series, and matrices too. You may also write about why you want to be an architect, where your interest came from and a bit about you, before displaying your artistic talent in eight little boxes, each containing a shape, using pencil alone. If you're thinking of switching to the course for June, you would have to have applied for the course by early March, I strongly suspect.

Stage 2:
    I'm still waiting to get my score from the suitability test. If I got 70+ then I'm going back for an interview at some stage in the next four weeks. (The best place to find all this out is on the Built Environment section on www.dit.ie, or by going to DIT Open Days or the DIT stand at Higher Options in the RDS) In the interview I understand that they require 10-15 pieces of artwork which you will then discuss before a panel, I had a similar interview in Queens University Belfast 2 weeks ago and I've been accepted there. If you manage to successfully show your suitability here by scoring 70+ again, then that's anywhere between 140 and 200 points towards your points total, for DIT architecture courses alone.

So, let's do the maths... 576-200= 376; 576-140=436
    That means that if you scrape through the test and interview you'll need 440 LC points or thereabouts, if you're particularly impressive in both, 380 should suffice in your exams in June.
    DIT also offers Architectural Technology, a 3-year diploma course, for which you will need 65+ in both test and interview to earn your place in.
    The only other architecture courses on the island are UCD's, for which you will need to score 530+ in your LC (no interview/portfolio required) or QUB's, for which you will need to successfully pass the interview and score over 480 in your LC.

Any more questions on Architecture in Ireland, I suggest you refer to the RIAI!!! I can't say a whole lot more until I'm studying it next September! :)

Thanks a million for the info. I'm only in 5th year and have some sort of portfolio together, however I was dead set on doing Industrial Design or VisComm, so it's geared towards design and exploration and less (none) drawings of buildings. Do they look for the same sort of stuff they'd look for in a design/art course portfolio? Do they purely want to see technical skills or creativity and uniqueness?

I did a DAT test in 4th year and scored quite highly in that, I presume the suitability test would be testing the same areas.

Is the DIT course better than the UCD? It seems like they would have a much higher standard of students due to the application process, whereas in UCD any fool could get 530 and get in.

I need to know about the portfolio now, I really should have gone to the open day. Do you have any computer stuff in yours?

Thanks again

My only Architecture interview is the one I did in Belfast. I was dropping bricks for sport going in there, and I thought I'd mucked up when I left it, but the post last week was contradicting, thankfully!
    I've no experience with CAD! The DIT suitability test was the only matric I've ever sat. I haven't done Art as a school subject, nor have I paid a tutor to help me build up a portfolio. So it's nothing to do with whether daddy's an architect or not, whether you've private tuition or not, it's pure desire (in QUB at least).
    But on the subject of which is the best course, if you're not up for paying fees for third-level (QUB), I really can't say. 530 may be obtainable by "any fool" as you put it, but if you're going to get 530+ you're not going to apply for a course you won't know your orse from your elbow on, are you? The DIT selection procedure allows some weaker exam students to become architects by proving they have the aptitude for it, rather than having a good crew of teachers in their secondary school.
    Creativity and uniqueness are extremely important, I found. Originality and experimental pieces too. I'd advise you concentrate on tonal drawings from direct observation, they show you have an eye for contrasts and subtle differences to a greater extent than paintings do. Combinations of different ideas or visions from the environment around your home, and an extensive knowledge of architecture around your home. I say that because the QUB panel knew a frightening amount about buildings across the road from me, despite the fact that I live no less than 2 hours from Belfast. You should be able to say who designed what, when, and what the aim of the project was, if you're going to refer to any.
    My portfolio for Belfast couldn't include photography or technical drawings, while DIT will accept that.
    Technical skill means very little to the panel, but I'm sure it comes in of use in determining your aptitude test score.

How and ever, you've over a year to worry about all this! Good luck!

• Advertisement

Grand. Back to the obscure "is this really art?" stuff.

I never thought I'd have to know about architecture around me though, I presume they aren't only going on modern buildings? Actually I would be able to shíte on now if I had to

No, not just modern buildings. I was asked plenty about castles and bridges around me that are standing since the twelfth century. The guy in Belfast even knew the names of the individual gates on the castle, which by the way aren't glaringly obvious, you would have to have studied the place in detail to know as much as he did about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

Had my interview earlier this week. No idea how I did. Do you get a letter telling you whether you got through the interview or not, or do you have to wait til the CAO offers before you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

Don't have a clue on that question lads.
    But I'm a qualified Architectural Technologist, which
    is a very small step down from being an architect.
    I didn't qualify and ended up going to Colaiste Dhulaigh to
    do a 3 year CAD course and then over to England for my degree.

So if yous don't qualify for DIT there are loads of
    other options like Dhulaigh, or Waterford do an Architectural Technology course also

Whats Architectural Technology like? Can you go into Architecture from it? I know it;s done in DIT and a few regional IT's, but I'v never really looked into it

• Advertisement

I never looked at it but I got called for the interview for it because I had it down on my CAO Level7/6s (none of which I ever intend on taking anyway)
    So I went to the interview last week, for the experience of another interview rather than to try get into the course. Sligo offers interior architecture, Carlow and Waterford offer Arch.Tech aswell.
    Lads if you want to do architecture, you have UCD, DIT and Queens. I've been accepted in Queens, depending on LC results its between there and UCD for me.
    You will be told how you did in the interview before July 1st, because otherwise DIT are costing you a valuable place, wasting your time if you didn't manage to get the course.

Fécking brilliant, School of Architecture in UL hopefully starting for Sept. '05, definitely for Sept. '06!

www.ul.ie/architecture

You didn't get into DIT so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Fécking brilliant, School of Architecture in UL hopefully starting for Sept. '05, definitely for Sept. '06!

But Limerick will require the same standard wont they, or do you think its brillant because you`d like to study in Limerick?? It`ll be similar points as Ucd and Dit i`d imagine too. How many places will Limerick be offering, I couldnt see that on the site there now.

I think it's brilliant because I really want to go down to the country for college, and UL would be one of my two preferred places to go. My brother spent the first year of his degree, and he absolutely loved it and is forever shouting at me to go away for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

watch out ..ul course....it aint accredited yet fully

Advertisement