Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT/Port problem?

• 27-04-2005 11:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Myself and a friend are having trouble hosting a game (Civ III if that makes any difference) and connecting to each other. We can join games hosted by other people no problem, but once we try to direct IP connect, or host games of our own, our games can't be seen in the lobby or connected to.

I'm guessing this is a problem with blocked ports on our routers and modems? I have a Netopia-3000, and he has a Belkin Wireless ADSL Modem Router. In the readme for the game it says "With Multiplayer behind a Firewall, it is important that DirectPlay Port #2303 also be opened." How do we open this port on our modems? Is this the problem?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this, feel free to move it obviously. Thanks for any help, it's been bugging us for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you need to 'tell your router' to pass any connections to its port 2303 or whatever to your computer, this is called port-forwarding, like call-forwarding.

anyway, forward that port for tcp&udp and there are various guides for various models on how to do it, i forget the address of the site, but there is one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

I see how it's done now, just needed to know port forwarding is what it was called, so thanks for that.

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Advertisement