Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Enclosure cable request

Options
  • 27-04-2005 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

THought this might be the best place to post, sorry if it's not.

I bought a Zynet External Hard Drive from Komplett.ie.

In a rush when changing the drive I tore the IDE cable in the case. It is a standard cable but the ribbon ( think thats the right word?) is only about 3 inches.

Does anybody know where I could get a replacement? Don't live near any decent computer shops so I may need to go the online route.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Is there space for a conventional one? That might be your best bet if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

No the one that was in it barely fit as it is.

What's the shortest ide cable that you can get? Shortest Komplett have seems to be 48cm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

If you have an old IDE cable, look closely at one of the connectors; it should be possible to unclip the back of the plug and remove it from the cable entirely (the socket is attached to the cable by way of small v-shaped "knives" that cut into the insulation around each conductor).

With some care and attention (not to mention patience), it should be possible to move the socket further down the cable to make a cable the length you want. Experiment on an old one or an old floppy cable first until you get the hang of it.

Hope this helps,
    Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

There's a place in town (dublin) that will make you custom IDE cables....can't remember the name tho.

Inqui

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

allcables in cork street will do custom ones.

other wise you could get an ide cable with three headers and cut it to leave two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give Allcables a ring rather than attempting (and failing) to shorten one I have.

Advertisement