Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Final Fantasy game?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Rhyme wrote:
    Thank you both of you, 9 was a great game and thoroughly underestimated in the grand scheme of things. The humour was there to laugh at and the visuals and story (
    bar Necron
    ) was very good... me like.

i cant really think of any bad things off the top of my head except for the version of limit breaks it had, too many fights and a foolish looking main guy

the side quests were fun enough too and not as long as X

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

i voted 7,because it was the first one o ever played and i loved it so much.10 was a very close second though,i think that its one of the funner ones to play,and i loved the story.Out of the snes ones, 5 was great due to variety and 6 was just brilliant.every final fantasy is amazing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i just love the final fantasy sage not including those sh'it ps2 final fantasy games x and x-2

thats why iv started to collect the ff saga

look at my sig ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Although i voted FF7, FF6 runs it close.

Id actually prefer to see a remake of FF6 rather than FF7 (perfect the way it is). Convert FF6 from 2D to 3D and remaster that wonderful opening theme music + soundtrack :)

a remake of vi would be great actually, some parts of that game were quality

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

One thing that gets me though is alot of people that dont like X is strangely connected to the fact that its the only one on ps2. I think people only say that because they want to sound like a more mature gamer by pretending that graphics and gameplay matter nothing to them. Its really annoying but its so damn obvious when you can see through it. I mean if graphics and audio etc.. is nothing to you , why are you foaming about the mouth at a remake of FFVII when apparently , none of the improvements will mean anything to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

....graphics and audio etc....
    I liked FF10 alot, but I didn't like the voices. Infact, one of my major fears about the idea of a FF7 remake (after the obvious fear of story raping) is putting in voices instead of those familiar blue boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

X-2 Is NOT an Final Fantasy game to me it was awful but the new ps3 graphics look bitchin' (Remade FF7 trailer) :eek: it is on this site some where i lost it if you find it please post link http://www.gametrailers.com/

Glip :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

One thing that gets me though is alot of people that dont like X is strangely connected to the fact that its the only one on ps2. I think people only say that because they want to sound like a more mature gamer by pretending that graphics and gameplay matter nothing to them. Its really annoying but its so damn obvious when you can see through it. I mean if graphics and audio etc.. is nothing to you , why are you foaming about the mouth at a remake of FFVII when apparently , none of the improvements will mean anything to you?
    By all means i dont hate FF10, it had a lot of really great moments and the overall look of the game was very nice. The voice acting for the most part was well done excluding Tidus and a few other small ones here and there. I like the older games with less in the way of graphics because i think they are better games. FF6 and 7 are an amazing games, the graphics mean nothing if the story is as gripping as that and the characters are vibrant enough for you to actually care if they live or die... sure there are people out there who think 'retro' is the coolest thing out there and say that graphics mean nothing to them, some genuine most not.

Vivé la 16bit...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Rhyme wrote:
    Thank you both of you, 9 was a great game and thoroughly underestimated in the grand scheme of things. The humour was there to laugh at and the visuals and story (
    bar Necron
    ) was very good... me like.
    thank you! for agreeing! what a great game so glad i ordered it way back when!

• Advertisement

Rhyme wrote:
    By all means i dont hate FF10, it had a lot of really great moments and the overall look of the game was very nice. The voice acting for the most part was well done excluding Tidus and a few other small ones here and there. I like the older games with less in the way of graphics because i think they are better games.

i think with x they put in too much unnecessary jazz and left out some important bits. I didnt like the voice acting and just the general look and sound of the game-i felt that time time would have ben better spent on improving the equipment section or storyline etc.

id rather a few things done well ie. VI or VII than a lot of things done in a sort of half ass way

Can I ask , just out of interest , How would people feel if they didnt change the magic / equipment system after seven and used materia etc... in all the games afterwards?

grimloch wrote:
    id rather a few things done well ie. VI or VII than a lot of things done in a sort of half ass way

FFVII was the king of half assed jobs . You were origionaly supposed to be able to resurrect Aeris by talking to the funny talking guy in midgar but then they rushed the game out and a large possiblilty that would have ehanced the game so much wass just dumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Can I ask , just out of interest , How would people feel if they didnt change the magic / equipment system after seven and used materia etc... in all the games afterwards?
    A big part of the allure of a new Final Fantasy game is seeing the new system and taking ages truly mastering it, if they just stuck with the same system of slots and combinations etc that was in FF7 id have a slightly lower opinion of the series as a whole. The switch to Junctioning, then to the ability stones and then to the Sphere Grid made the new games interesting in a way that most people dont recognise... im expecting a similar system in 12 to Tactics as its by the same guy and its using a similar if not identical battle system to it.

FFVII was the king of half assed jobs . You were origionaly supposed to be able to resurrect Aeris by talking to the funny talking guy in midgar but then they rushed the game out and a large possiblilty that would have ehanced the game so much wass just dumped.

thats not so much a half assed thing in so far as the way X focused on yuna and tidus whereas VII had a nice bit of background for most of them (i know im sort of contradicting what i said earlier)

i thought the idea that an immortal entity coming along to destroy things every now and again could have been pulled off better, the weapon system could have been very good indeed but left in so many useless abilities and only had 2 equiping slots

the absense of a world map was shocking, dont know if that was laziness or what

im sure you could be point out a number of flaws in VII but im jsut saying that nice shiny graphics/voices etc. shouldnt force other things to suffer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

i thought it was a much better game for it. And it's also just a rumour. Knowing that you could bring her back to life would have ruined the whole sense of loss you felt after that point in the game, like with FFIV.

Ah , yes they took away the world map. But you where made to travel all the places along roads which were much more intrecit and detail than the world map. So really it is balanced unless you enjoy mindlessly roaming over large , bleak landscapes. Id say the main reason the did it though would be that , because of the space available for it , it would have to be so damn ugly that it wouold violently contrast the rest of the game.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    i thought it was a much better game for it. And it's also just a rumour. Knowing that you could bring her back to life would have ruined the whole sense of loss you felt after that point in the game, like with FFIV.

But you wouldnt have known about it the first time , and there are very few suprises the fsecond time around anyway. And if , say before playing the game you had read it somewhere , well that would be your own fault.

Ah , yes they took away the world map. But you where made to travel all the places along roads which were much more intrecit and detail than the world map. So really it is balanced unless you enjoy mindlessly roaming over large , bleak landscapes. Id say the main reason the did it though would be that , because of the space available for it , it would have to be so damn ugly that it wouold violently contrast the rest of the game.

actually that is a damn good point, i just liked the possibilities they could have like the chocobo treasures of IX or the upgrading of chocobos to buggys to airships like VII

i guess i liked driving airships about, although X did remove alot of pointless wandering

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I enjoy mastering a new system each time, definitely. It's things like changing the system that keep FF games fresh and un-sequel-ish.
    First of all, I'm not sure I believe there were ever plans to resurrect Aeris. I remember reading an article and a guy made all the points from the game that lead him to believe it, and too be honest they weren't compelling points.
    Secondly, I'm definitely glad you can't. The ending wouldn't make sense if she was alive (and I freaking love the ending). And having a main playable character die was such a master stroke, having her come back would've felt like such a cop out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Ninja Turtle

And replaced it with the mindless inputting of co-ordinates.

The best thing about the old world map was that it made secret locations like
    the knights of round materia
    easy to find. Whereas in X, there was no way to do this - except by inputting co-ords. It also made X a bit more linear I think, forcing you to go on a set route for much of the game. The world map at least gave you the illusion that you were pretty much to go where you liked.

yes the world map was better but maybe x wouldnt have suited it, a nice lovely colourful background then suddenly a nasty looking world map, that being said id probably sacrifice alot of the graphics to get a world map

like ninja yurtle said it gave the impression you were going where you wanted and i always liked the transport you get throughout the game(i know i said it can lead to pointless wandering) instead of picking somewhere on a list and landing at some aul sphere

Advertisement