Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] IRA threaten Gardai

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,196 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have no reason or need to disprove it as I am not claiming it happened. It should be pretty easy to actually prove that a man was arrested at a funeral and some people were threatening. What is not easy, and I have seen nothing to show it, is the spin the Herald put on the story. Of course, you believe it because it fits in with what you want to believe.

Of course, you believe it because it fits in with what you want to believe.
    That cuts both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

What an effort to try and explain why the Evening Herald were the only one to lead with this in the last 2-3 weeks!!

not only did no other media source not lead with it they did not even make any mention of it
    I dont care what was happening in rome or timbuktu if a garda station in dublin was forced to close by the IRA we would have heard about it even if that lunatic that interupted the marathon in the olympics had been elected pope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I have no reason or need to disprove it as I am not claiming it happened. It should be pretty easy to actually prove that a man was arrested at a funeral and some people were threatening. What is not easy, and I have seen nothing to show it, is the spin the Herald put on the story. Of course, you believe it because it fits in with what you want to believe.

Yeah. Tell you what. Tuesday morning, I'll phone the Garda press office. You can choose not to believe what is said.

The fact that you're dismissing a claim in a paper Then again, it is no great surprise that they do this. is what you said earlier means that a :rolleyes: needs to be added to any response to you believe it because it fits in with what you want to believe. Seeing as the only evidence that can be presented on whether "Adams n Mc Guinness aren't on the council is, you choose to believe two men who have previously lied about their involvement with the IRA."

Playing the dubious sceptic doesn't suit the republican mindset, you have to take so much on faith about the behaviour of your politcans and the relationship between them and their paramilitary wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Earthman wrote:
    That cuts both ways.

why is there no mention of it in any other media source

do you not think that the closing of the busiest garda station in the country by paramilitaries would be a major newsworthy event

no statement from mcdowell

no mention of it at the GRA conference

during an election campaign in the north when the SDLP could make capital from it no one mentions it but the herald

the only reasonable explanation is the herald is bull****ting

they have been trying to link this murder to PSF PIRA since it happened despite denials from mcdowell etc it is just a continuation of the line they have spun on this from the outset

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

cdebru wrote:
    why is there no mention of it in any other media source

do you not think that the closing of the busiest garda station in the country by paramilitaries would be a major newsworthy event

no statement from mcdowell

no mention of it at the GRA conference

during an election campaign in the north when the SDLP could make capital from it no one mentions it but the herald

the only reasonable explanation is the herald is bull****ting

they have been trying to link this murder to PSF PIRA since it happened despite denials from mcdowell etc it is just a continuation of the line they have spun on this from the outset

I don't deny that theres a potential degree of hyberbole to the story. I'll phone the press office n tuesday and see what is confirmed and denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

ok

Advertisement