Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oops OVER-download

• 28-04-2005 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭

Ok so... I like my new 2mg connection, but I think I might have overdone it.
    76Gb this month. Anybody else in the same situation as I am not looking forward to a big bill.
    Has anybody heard about any strong words or actual extra's Esat bt are enforcing now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Netsource

Monitor Period 29 days, 17 hours, 14 mins
    Upload 5608 Mbytes
    Download 62233 Mbytes
    Combined 67841 Mbytes

You are not alone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

Holy jesus, i thought i was bad at 27gb....BT could well happen to charge you, since they've brought in the new caps, another side of it might be that they are now enforcing them....thats one great risk you took, i hope you don't get a huge bill (or do i? muahahahaha)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you do get billed, you downloaded over 3 times the cap given...i'd put a safe bet on you being charged, but hey! if ya don't, let us know and i'll go on a downloading spree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

At least I aint the only 1 Ciar :)

Anybody know the rate that that add on per mg of 100mg :S
    Forget how they said it was charged....
    :mad: Stupid high speed 'Internet thing'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

its 3c a mb...
    which means you owe about 1560 euros.. :S
    :(
    you probably wont be eating for a month or two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

Dont feel too bad...there is an eircom customer on the board here....name escapes me.....who has downloaded over 120GBytes up to the 26th with a 16GByte CAP!!!

I have downloaded 24.5GBytes this month(lots of linux distros....haha) and was getting a little scared.
    IMHO going over 30GB would probable get a raised eyebrow....but exceeding 50GB or 100GB is totally takeing the piss.

Others who have exceded their CAPS please post...thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

kjt wrote:
    76Gb this month. Anybody else in the same situation as I am not looking forward to a big bill.
    Has anybody heard about any strong words or actual extra's Esat bt are enforcing now?

u need the business broadband package @100 euro a month unless u want to spend 15 grand a year on broadband. they are perfectly entitled to charge u the 1600 euro u owe them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

kjt wrote:

Hah! That's brilliant! Can we ask what the hell you were downloading?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

let me guess, linux iso's and elvis mp3's right? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Running a busy game server would use that much bandwidth no problem lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

maybe but he's with esat, so chances are it's iolbb+ which has 128k upload, not nearly enough for a games server, and as far as i know even esats 2 meg business pack only has 256k upload, again not enough for a busy games server ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Im on 30gigs afraid to download anymore im on 16 gig cap(Eircom).theres loads more linux iso's cough ahem that I want but ill wait til next month.Dont think Eircom will charge this month as the stats were down for 2 weeks.Its getting to the point where im realy sh@ting it opening the bill every few months. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

JB123 wrote:
    Im on 30gigs afraid to download anymore im on 16 gig cap(Eircom).theres loads more linux iso's cough ahem that I want but ill wait til next month.Dont think Eircom will charge this month as the stats were down for 2 weeks.Its getting to the point where im realy sh@ting it opening the bill every few months. :mad:

why dont u either restrain yourself to 16 gig, switch to esats 24 gig, or go with eircoms business package?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

its 3c a mb...
    which means you owe about 1560 euros.. :S
    :(
    you probably wont be eating for a month or two?

omg!! :eek:
    Guess you'll be staying within your cap from now on if they do charge you kjt! 76gigs is outrageous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

meh

id say if u just explain u made a mistake, not gona happen again, say you are thinking about switching to a business product given this suprising total, enquire about that, the dollar signs in their eyes will light up and leave it at that.

i doubt very much they are gona proceed with enforcing 1500 euro out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

gsand wrote:
    meh

id say if u just explain u made a mistake, not gona happen again, say you are thinking about switching to a business product given this suprising total, enquire about that, the dollar signs in their eyes will light up and leave it at that.

i doubt very much they are gona proceed with enforcing 1500 euro out of you.
    Yeah all of that :D

I was downloading stuff from my friend in torronto.
    lol the thing is that I have never once gone over my cap in the past year.
    The usual 16gb cap, closest I've ever come to that is like.... 9gb at max.
    So mayb they might allow me to carry over the past 10months of not using about 10gb = 100Gb

No it deffo aint gonna happen again, I thought I was up to something like 40Gb at max till I checked last nyt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

ciaranfo wrote:
    Netsource

Monitor Period 29 days, 17 hours, 14 mins
    Upload 5608 Mbytes
    Download 62233 Mbytes
    Combined 67841 Mbytes

You are not alone :)

Do NS have a stats page that can be checked ?
    I've been on NS for last2 yrs and never heard nor seen one on their web, i have to use dumeter to track what i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnng!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

kjt wrote:

your a legend :-)

i though my 50Gb in my first month of esat was bad (but it was only the trial period so nothing was said)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

was once a gig over Now :

Data uploaded 8.47 GB [9097176507 bytes]
    Data downloaded 24.59 GB [26402291807 bytes]

I'm asuming they only enforce the cap on the downloads.

2 days left .... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭julius

It will be interesting to see if Eircom/BT actually come after those who have pissed all over the CAP this month???

Downloading up to 30GB shouldnt interest BT, but 40GB+ would be takeing a very big and possible costly chance!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

ok seriously, how the **** can you download that much in a month? seriously! wtf!

lol Here's the plan... My friend had the use of my computer for the month and I didnt know he was dling stuff :S... (heehee SO wont work)
    Also lay low next month... 5Gb max dl

See from the pic I'm usualy a good boy ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Irishpimp

Wow you all have downloaded so much :-\ im on eircom 16gb cap lol look at my stats 120gigs lol

Total Time Online: 644:54:06
    Total Uploads: 8258 MB
    Total Downloads: 120770 MB
    Download Allowance: 16384 MB
    Percent of Allowance used: 737%

kjt wrote:
    lol Here's the plan... My friend had the use of my computer for the month and I didnt know he was dling stuff :S... (heehee SO wont work)
    Also lay low next month... 5Gb max dl

worst plan ever.. :P
    at the very least say your "wireless network" was hacked by a neighbour..
    or someone put a trojan in your pants..
    ..seriously that excuse is lame, lame enough to cost you 1600 euros..

although tbh if they didnt say anything when you went over 80gb's you might just get away with it. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

gurramok wrote:
    Do NS have a stats page that can be checked ?
    I've been on NS for last2 yrs and never heard nor seen one on their web, i have to use dumeter to track what i get.

I would also be interested in this stats page. Might be just for home users though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

76GB, 120GB, what the hell are you guys downloading? I'm just over my 24G today, damn you American television.

I'm taking it very easy for the next couple of days, just in case.

Irishpimp wrote:
    Wow you all have downloaded so much :-\ im on eircom 16gb cap lol look at my stats 120gigs lol

Total Time Online: 644:54:06
    Total Uploads: 8258 MB
    Total Downloads: 120770 MB
    Download Allowance: 16384 MB
    Percent of Allowance used: 737%

OMG lolz you r so Coool !!!1121...

Eircoms cap is meaningless... anybody gone this far over on esat? ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Irishpimp

where all downloading Linux Distro's ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

jeeess and i was worried when i realised i was at 16.5gB.....

ericom charge 1c per mB now, not 3 btw

Advertisement