Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you have to pay VAT on a house?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

maybe an obvious question but if a house is €315000 (stamp duty aside etc) do you have to pay VAT on top that??

Just to clarify in my mind

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

No, just the stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

If you were quoted a price of €315k for the house & you are buying from a developer, the VAT is included in the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Think you do - I mean, VAT is chargable on most items, property included, but like most items tends to be included in the asking price. If you're a business of course, and registered for VAT and the property is bought for the purposes of the Business, you may be able to claim a Credit for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

If you are thinking of renting the house & want to avoid the VAT, you could register for VAT and claim the VAT back ... the downside to this is that you must then charge & declare VAT on the rent you charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    If you are thinking of renting the house & want to avoid the VAT, you could register for VAT and claim the VAT back ... the downside to this is that you must then charge & declare VAT on the rent you charge!

probably better to pay it i would have thought. it gets integrated into the house price anyway. for commercial properties it is different of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement