Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows XP Explorer Problems

• 28-04-2005 7:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Whenever I open explorer(from start menu or shortcut key) it hangs and I have to end task it. I can however open a folder on the desktop and everything is fine once I don't do show folders.

Anyy ideas? SP2 and latest updates all applied.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Maybe you have a problem with hardware, like do you have an mp3 player like the Zen or the iPod? If there was a problem with them if you try to open explorer, it could hang. It could also be a problem with a network drive, or a damaged floppy drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Explorer.exe is tied in with Internet Explorer, could any of your browser hijacks be causing it?

Try using hijackthis @ http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/ and pasting the log it creates of the scan here.

Renton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I've heard tell of some instances where you might have large or numerous AVI's and Explorer tries to go off and get details about each of them and this ties things up for a while but it does eventually come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

i tend to agree with zapho, probably a hardware problem, open up the case and plug out all your optical drives, floppy drives, extra harddrives and eternal devices, boot up and see if you still have the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Saviour_Angel

Since I got the latest update a week ago I can't access eithor of my 2 ex HDD. It just crashs the pc... BSOD...
    Don't rule anything out until your sure... I know for a fact that the latest updates didn't do me any favors...
    But yes check to make sure it's not hardware also...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Explorer - Tools - Folder Options - View - Launch folder windows in a different process.

Not sure what effect it has but hopefully only one window at at time will hang/crash/timeout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

i have this problem aswell......happens very frequently but not all the time.....i've got "My Computer" set to "Display as a Menu" from the Start menu...this works as a workaround when explorer hangs.....still buggin the sh1t out of me though.. :mad: i haven't installed any M$ patches in a couple of months..

Advertisement