Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gardai being transferred for not meeting Speeding Ticket Quotas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Thats a fùcking joke, Gardai as usual trying to come up with excuses for their boys club

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Are you surprised? I don't think there s anyone around who actually thought that the current speed detection process was designed for safety reasons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

gardai are given a quota each month
    if it's not reached, questions are asked
    so
    if you're a garda with x amt of tickets to hand out before the end of the month, do you give a toss how you get your quota up?
    certainly saving lives is bottom of your list on this, so you just plonk yourself on some side street where the speed limit is 30 and you nab anyone doing 31 plus... et voila, quota up in no time flat.
    this has happened to my bloke btw... done for doing 33 in a 30 zone, it's done all the time. Meanwhile, people are dying on our roads

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

and i woke up this morning in a good mood....now i feel all dirty and cynical again. :mad:

My father was caught "speeding" at the belfield overpass (N11) the other week.....what a ****ing joke!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

i think a bit of way should be given to maybe a kilometer or 2 over the limit but if some people and way over then i dont see any reason to complain. The N11 is notorious for speeders and for people been caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

xzodia wrote:
    i think a bit of way should be given to maybe a kilometer or 2 over the limit but if some people and way over then i dont see any reason to complain. The N11 is notorious for speeders and for people been caught.
    5km over is the minimum leeway.

My speedo is only graded every 10km/h, so to catch me at 3 or 4km/h over the limit wouldn't be fair. Most speedos are inaccurate by at upto 10%

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote:
    My speedo is only graded every 10km/h, so to catch me at 3 or 4km/h over the limit wouldn't be fair. Most speedos are inaccurate by at upto 10%

ever tried to argue that one with a cop seamus? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Beruthiel wrote:
    ever tried to argue that one with a cop seamus? :D
    Nah, I'm usually gone before they see me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

the 5km leeway was taken away as the top brass said no more to it and wanted zero tolerence of 1km over is speeding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

xzodia wrote:
    the 5km leeway was taken away as the top brass said no more to it and wanted zero tolerence of 1km over is speeding

Solution: Gardai should get more "brownie points" for higher speeders than lower speeders.

So the whole catching people doing 54 in a 50 zone would be unattractive.
    Gardai would only go after people doing 70 in a 50 zone.

Of course the best thing would be to get rid of the quota but one must take into account the established culture, and inject realism into proposed solutions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

perhaps the 'targets' the cops should be trying to reach is zero, i.e. zero deaths on the road, anyone else noticed recently the increase in detections and the increase in deaths. Should be clear that the current system of enforcement = more deaths. Wonder why?

Advertisement