Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Figo to LFC

• 28-04-2005 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

:D Looks like figo is set to sign for LFC in the summer, this would be a good move on LFC part as then can use him like Gary Mac a few seasons ago

Read more here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Yeah Bannor had this a few times already this season. I don't like it TBH. He strikes me as another individual, not inclined to work for the team at all. And well past it - for his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No thanks, he should head off to bolton if hes looking to end his career on on a nice pay-day. This is not the type of player we need to bring the team forward an to build a team with. Bolton are living like this but there isnt going to be an endless supply of very good over 35's that can perform every week in the PL. At least not ones who can help a team push for the title. Signing these types of players smacks of settlinf for being in the top 5 or 6 and not really being a proper threath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd quite like this actually, always rated him as a player and think he probably has 2 good years in him. Like it or not, we need somebody on the right, and he should prove a great help bringing on players like partridge and especially nunez who he knows well from real and who was always touted as the next figo, but really hasn't produced for liverpool.

Not a long term solution, but a solution none the less.

On the bolton thing, you'd be surprised to actually see the ages of a lot of their players, younger then you'd expect. Hierro campo and okocha are really gettin on but beyond them there are a lot of great younger players ready to take their places. is actually a pretty good mix there of youth and experience. Diouf (even if he is a complete scumbag) is a slightly different player to okocha for example, but could fill in his place as the skillful inspiration in the team. tel ban heim looks a good player as well in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Think he has the skill and intelligence to do well in the premeirship and he is no light wait either. He would give us another dimension attacking wise.

Would question his commitment , does he really have anything left to prove ?

That said have to say i would also like to see him at Liverpool. Bentiez is clever and i am sure he can get another two good season out of him.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Bad move IMO . Can anyone see FIGO rolling his sleeves up and getting stuck in on a freezing wet winters day. I certainly can't. Liverpool should be investing in the futuer not in has beens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I disagree. I think at this stage in his career he might be looking for a new challenge, and he is no lightweight. I think he'd actually be a helpful addition to any squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He should be able to manage quite well in the premiership..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

3 words - better than Nunez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

He would be a great signing, two good years left in him I think,, but doubt he will come if we dont qualify for CL
    Inter have been sniffing at him for a while, reckon thats were he will go ,,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Figo is far too good a player for Liverpool and I dont think the culture will suit him either.
    Its just a publicity stunt to get interest from other clubs.

• Advertisement

Figo is far too good a player for Liverpool and I dont think the culture will suit him either.
    Its just a publicity stunt to get interest from other clubs.

What are you talking about ? Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Will he still be "too good a player for liverpool" if we are champions of europe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

mr_angry wrote:

Well said mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

opr wrote:
    What are you talking about ? Liverpool are one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Will he still be "too good a player for liverpool" if we are champions of europe ?

I was going to post the same. But I didn't for two reasons. 1) sneaking suspicision re troll or 2) he's right. Porto are hardly a big club despite having won the CL next season.

I hardly think he's too good a player for pool, he wouldn't even be in the top 5 players there IMO.

Alonso, Gerrard, Carragher, Morientes, Ciise seeing as that'll be a debating point. Figo may have achieved more in the game but in terms of current form/potential influence next season those players will be more important to the pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I have said this before but I think Liverpool need a older head with top European experience in the midfield of the current team. Figo will be 32 at the start of next season, so I suppose he would fall into that category. I think he would be a welcome acquisition for the club.

Shamrok wrote:
    I have said this before but I think Liverpool need a older head with top European experience in the midfield of the current team. Figo will be 32 at the start of next season, so I suppose he would fall into that category. I think he would be a welcome acquisition for the club.

I think Figo will be 34 at the start of next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

opr wrote:
    I think Figo will be 34 at the start of next season.

4th novemmber 1972(DOB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

He should be able to manage quite well in the premiership..

I don't know.. I'd put him in the 'big girls blouse' category of footballers... He was skilful etc 'back in the day', but he's well past it... As someone else said, I can't see him being too committed to playing in the depths of january against kiddeminster away in the cup....

A step backwards IMO for liverpool to be signing old guys. Experience is always a good thing, but I dont think he'll bring the type of experience that liverpool need or are looking for...

An interesting thought though.... perhaps he is part of a deal with S.Gerrard going the opposite direction????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Seems United are interested in Figo also.

SkySports.com
    Carlos Quieroz is trying to persuade Sir Alex Ferguson to sign Luis Figo from Real Madrid after it became clear that the Portuguese international no longer has a future at El Santiago Bernabeu.
    According to Spanish sources, the Manchester United number two and former Real boss is set to hold talks with Madrid president Florentino Perez at the end of the current season in a bid to capture Figo on a free transfer.
    Ferguson has been a long-time fan of the former Barcelona midfielder and would not take much convincing that he is worth a risk as a free agent.
    Figo has fallen out with Madrid after they decided not to renew his contract which expires in 2006 and he is also furious that he been dropped to the bench for the last three league outings.
    The Spanish giants could be willing to let the player leave for nothing as they would not have to pay him €6million for the final year on his contract.
    The 32-year-old has often stated that he would like to play in The Premiership and he would have little problem adapting as he and his model wife Helen Svedin both speak fluent English.
    Figo would also be happy to be reunited with Quieroz - who was in charge at Real from 2003-04.
    Figo moved to the Bernabeu in 2000 for a world record fee of €55million after agreeing a pre-contract with Madrid when negotiations with then-Barca president, Joan Gaspart, broke down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Personally i think Figo is passed it. maybe he has 1 season left in him but I think he will be another Junihino. 'pool can do better than this !

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

What age is Bergkamp?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Personally i think Figo is passed it. maybe he has 1 season left in him but I think he will be another Junihino. 'pool can do better than this !

Like Nunez, Garcia, Pelligrino! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

I'd like to see him in the Premiership. Even at Spurs!! He is a great player, and he'd bring a nice bit of experience to any squad.

I'd like United to sign him, give us a bit of experience as a third winger so we can ****ing play a 4-4-2 on a regular basis

I don't know.. I'd put him in the 'big girls blouse' category of footballers... He was skilful etc 'back in the day', but he's well past it... As someone else said, I can't see him being too committed to playing in the depths of january against kiddeminster away in the cup....

A step backwards IMO for liverpool to be signing old guys. Experience is always a good thing, but I dont think he'll bring the type of experience that liverpool need or are looking for...

An interesting thought though.... perhaps he is part of a deal with S.Gerrard going the opposite direction????

It certainly likely that Real are interested in Gerard but they dont seem to be able to afford that prices that are being thrown about. Don't wanna get into an argument as to whether he is worth those figures before you start..

I wonder if I said that Figo wouldnt make it in the PL would you have disagreed with me too? Would you consider Zidane a bad buy by the way?

There is no doubting that Figo has class and at 32 he is nowhere near too old just yet. He has lost his pace to a certain degree but that is less of a disadvantage in the PL where is will be technically superior than the majority of oposition players. It was only 5 years ago he was European Footballer of the Year and commanded the then biggest transfer fee in the world..

I don't also believe that it is a step backward for LFC either. There is no harm in having an old head in there with the experience that Figo has. Gary Mc was a major contributor to Liverpool's UEFA Cup winning side and alot of people penned him as a stupid signing at the time..

If anything, what Bolton have done with more senior players is all I need as justification for taking a chance on Figo. Zola and Bergkamp are also recent examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If its true I'm underwhelmed, Figo as other think tends to play for himself and if things are'nt going his way then he can be a sulky sod. The Reebok on a Feburay night is not where he'll shine. That said if he's just being bought for European football then okay if the price and wages are modest.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Yeah, i agree about the wages thing, he'll probably be demanding huge amounts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I wonder if I said that Figo wouldnt make it in the PL would you have disagreed with me too? Would you consider Zidane a bad buy by the way?
    Not at all. I would have agreed with you. Zidane would be a welcome addition. Figo has shown in the past to be a sulky sod. Didn't throw a tantrum during Euro 2004 or something???
    You wouldn't get that with Zidane.
    There is no doubting that Figo has class and at 32 he is nowhere near too old just yet. He has lost his pace to a certain degree but that is less of a disadvantage in the PL where is will be technically superior than the majority of oposition players.
    If you don't have pace in the premiership you're screwed. You'll get nailed pretty quickly if you dilly dally on the ball... In spain you have a lot more time on the ball. Just look at morientes for example. He hasn't been as effective as he was in spain and france. Less time to control the ball and do the business...
    It was only 5 years ago he was European Footballer of the Year and commanded the then biggest transfer fee in the world..
    ... that was 5 years ago when he was 28/29 years old... A 28 year old figo is a very different prospect to a 34 year old figo.
    I don't also believe that it is a step backward for LFC either. There is no harm in having an old head in there with the experience that Figo has.
    I could imagine his wage demands being pretty high.. Waste of money when that could be going to the wages of or to buy another player in the mould of Alonso... young, athletic and a damn good player. (Not necessarily a player in alonso's position)
    Gary Mc was a major contributor to Liverpool's UEFA Cup winning side and alot of people penned him as a stupid signing at the time..
    Now thats the type of experience that liverpool need. Not a sulky portugese playboy...
    If anything, what Bolton have done with more senior players is all I need as justification for taking a chance on Figo. Zola and Bergkamp are also recent examples.
    Figo and the above mentioned players are a totally different kettle of fish...

To be honest, he showed what he can do in the later stages of Euro 2004 after being dropped. He does respond to s kick in the hole and Benitez wont be afraid to give him one.

The reason United want him is because he is a free transfer, and they are well well under their wages budget afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

PHB wrote:
    The reason United want him is because he is a free transfer, and they are well well under their wages budget afaik.
    Also the fact that Ferguson gets on well with Figo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mr_angry wrote:
    TRUE TRUE TRUE

Advertisement