Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours that The Scholars is closing?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Heard a rumour lately that the Scholars could be closed next year cause all you modern day u.l. studnets dont drink enough these days.

I'm shocked and appalled. Any truth to these rumours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:eek: WTF??

**** sake > we go out on co-op and our ****ing 'local' *could* be closed?

christ.

*note: no ideas as to the strength of the rumour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

noooooooooo!!!!!

surely not, its the only decent bar on campus, surely someone else will take it over, so long as they dont turn it into a stables clone, man i hate the stables and its permanant smell of vomit.

sure I'll take over the running of it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

NOOOOO, no way, it cant close, i like it too much! nuts to the stables its teh crap!

Lads, we must return and boost business, sure arnt they missing out on about 100 euro a week since we're not there!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭moochie

heard it was to be closed and become a medical centre. :eek:

looks like the smokin ban could be blamed i reckon. :confused:

• Advertisement

damn it, if anywhere should close it should be the sports bar, nobody goes there so it wouldnt be a loss, whereas the scholars is nice and theres usually an alright crowd there, the stables is too packed always as it is, and its crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

This is a rumour and the SU wouldn't let it happen. Don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Sergeant Horse

sounds like a foundless rumour to me, if they were going to close any of the three clubs it would be the Sports Bar, the Scholars does as passable trade, and to be honest, its miles better than the Stables with its youngin' 1st years stinknig up the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

The food in Scholars this year went to ****. Used to eat up there nearly everyday last year but they must have changed how then ran the kitchen over the summer because it was pure muck when we came back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

Thorbar wrote:
    The food in Scholars this year went to ****. Used to eat up there nearly everyday last year but they must have changed how then ran the kitchen over the summer because it was pure muck when we came back.
    This certainly doesn't apply to breakfast, which is still as delicious as ever. I rarely eat dinner on campus, so can't comment on that.

Their pub trade is very good, I know its nothing compared to the Stables, but compare it to a regular pub in a city or town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

but - but - but - but....
    CAN THEY DO THIS?
    shouldn't there be a vote or a drinking competition or mud wrestling or something
    Save the Scholars!
    More pubs not less - turn the Arena into a bar, turn the whole college into a brewery....
    Anything....

But don't close the Scholars

I felt smart when i went there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 excalibur__17

hey respect to all ye scholars loving peeps,, I'm a 4th yr and in 1st & 2nd the scholars was de cool pub wit a chilled out atmosphere compared wit the stables which is like a mart and u would feel out of place without a pair of weelies on and a hurley in ure back pocket. But de scholars has gone dead i have prob only been there 10 times this year compared wit 3 times a week in 1st and 2nd year.. something needs to be done to bring de place back to life

aye, we can all agree something scholars is somewhat 'empty' recently but would you rather a mobbed crowd like stables instead?

we'll be back in September :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Back in 2003 when I finished up the Scholars was hip and happening, all the groovey hippy chick wanna-bes, plus a few who actually were groovey and hippy, were there. Has it really gone down hill?

Stables was a total farmyard, full of bog warriors and the like. I always wondered why these people went there... is it because out in the rural parts of the country the older brothers and sisters still spread the gospel of all the drinking that they did back in their day?... i.e. not many people outside UL seem to know of any other pub but the Stables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 excalibur__17

BossArky wrote:
    Back in 2003 when I finished up the Scholars was hip and happening, all the groovey hippy chick wanna-bes, plus a few who actually were groovey and hippy, were there. Has it really gone down hill?

Stables was a total farmyard, full of bog warriors and the like. I always wondered why these people went there... is it because out in the rural parts of the country the older brothers and sisters still spread the gospel of all the drinking that they did back in their day?... i.e. not many people outside UL seem to know of any other pub but the Stables.

nice one u couldn't have described the stables better....

it's funny how we all like the stables so why the **** do we not see one another there?!

fs, i know myself, pete, rmacm 'n' otacon are there > where everyone else at??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

suppose a few binges at the scholars should secure its place?

I, therefore, ask all able-bodied citizens of UL to throw down yer drink, have wild binges where you let loose your previously-held standards and bring our beloved local back from the brink!

WHO'S WITH ME!???!

/me stands up with pint in hand

ME!
    But de scholars has gone dead i have prob only been there 10 times this year compared wit 3 times a week in 1st and 2nd year.

Ehh is this not the problem, you cant expect it to be 'hip' and 'happening' if you dont go yourself.

Good description of the stables.

And anyway, since when has the amount of people in a pub been a gauge on 'how good it is'

Its all about the people YOU are with, not the 100 other randomers that you dont talk to anyway (Granted more people == more fit birds, but still)

Sure one night we sauntered in and there was 2 other people in the bar :) Twas a saturday during exam time but still had a cool time.

Anyway, I think we'll be back for one night at the end of the exams so ehhhh yeah......see you there!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I've said it one and I'll said it again --> the best drinking sessions are the ones that you shouldn't be having... i.e. around exam time. Do a bit of study for a few hours and then go on a total bender straight from the lab/ library or wherever you are. Chances are you'll be totally in bits about 11 so when you wake up at 8 the next day you'll be ready for another day's study!

...ok ok just a suggestion. :cool:

Advertisement