Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

problem installing WoW in winxp on Sata....

• 28-04-2005 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Motherboard died a while ago so I took the opportunity to upgrade the system.

spec:
    P4 3.0
    D915GAGL
    2gb Ram (dual channel, A: 1gb, B: 2x512)
    Club X600 Radeon 256mb card
    2x 120gb SATA
    running winXP pro sp2

all is loveliness and joy except when I went to reinstall WoW. The install gets to a random point and cant find the directory it is installing to. I have tried each of the partitions on the drives (3 total) and the reuslts have been seemingly completely random...

1st attempt: installed up as far as terrain.mpq on CD1 and then just stopped.
    2nd attempt: installed up to models.mpq and then stopped
    3rd attempt: go to CD2, terrain mpq and stopped
    4th attempt: got to CD3, interface.mpq and returned an error that it couldnt find D:\program files\world of warcraft even though I could see the directory being created etc...
    5th attempt: Back to terrain.mpq on CD1, error about an unreadable drive
    6th attempt: CD1 terrain.mpq no error message.

Each time it stalled without an error message I checked application and processes. the installer showed running in applications and the installation service was running happily at 50% of CPU (varied between 49 and 51).
    No HD activity, No CD activity.
    Could browse to the drive fine (HD and CD).

Everything else has installed fine. DirectX ver. is 9.0c, Opengl 2.0 is supported, HD has been error checked and defragged (even ran a format on one of the partitions to make sure) no joy.

any ideas? Do I need to pop back in an IDE drive?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one thing to try is to copy the contents of the CD to a folder on the HDD , restart in safe mode and retry the install. sometimes this works if an application or antivirus gets in the way.

Advertisement