Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are these areas like!?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im trying to find a place to move into, but I dont know much about the various areas. I need somewhere that is close enough to town, but also close enough to Bray. I dont drive by the way. Actually location isnt the main concern here, I am more interested in what the areas are like :)

Terenure,
    Clonskeagh Road,
    Kilmainham,
    Templeogue
    Firhouse
    Mount Merrion

Thanks v.much!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Well you mustn't be too worried about your home in relation to bray cos while there is ampel transport from those places to town they are at least 2 buses away from bray. Those places are all quite nice although some are closer to the supposed "undesirable areas" than the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Which would be considered an "undesirable area", and how undesirable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

None of those areas are that undesirable
    Terenure, Clonskeagh Road, Mount Merrion and Templeogue are pretty affluent areas.

Firhouse is your average middle class area.
    Kilmainham in Dublin 8 is ok, some areas within Kilmainham, Rialto and south circular road are going through a phase of gentrification at the moment, so house prices are right up there, these are all the period properties.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I'd go with templeogue or terenure to be honest. They are great areas, although all the areas there are fine. If going with Kilmainham I'd stay away from Chapelizod / Ballyfermot if I were to be snobby about it! Best thing to do is check out the local amenities yourself. None of the areas are bad, but there are some advantages to certain areas (eg. Carlisle gym in terenure etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'd say stick close to the dart. That way you're a few stops away from town or bray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

^^^^What Funkstard said.
    If you want to be close to town and close to Bray and you don't have a car - then just consider that the DART line goes along the coast and goes from Bray to town (& beyond) :)
    None of the areas you mentioned would be as good as an area along the Dart line.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

oh lord, don't go for Firhouse if you want a social life!! I lived on the Ballycullen Road, replying on public transport, it's just awful (ok, it may be better now, this was a few years back) The area itself was fine though, we had nice neighbours who watched the house for us when we went home for the weekend! and the kids used to cut the grass for us!

If you want to be able to get to Bray, would it not be better to try for somewhere along the dart line?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Bray to merrion is only one bus, not two.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/your_journey/viewer.asp?route=45

But the 45 is a pita busroute.

It's not that frequent (compared to the 46A, or the Dart) and it's mainly a non QBC route - which means you get to sit in the traffic with all the cars; and conseqently it is very difficult to gauge when it will arrive at your bus-stop.

causal

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

how far would merrion be from sydney parade dart station then?

• Advertisement

He said 'Mount Merrion', not 'Merrion' ;)
    Mount Merrion is nestled between UCD, Stillorgan, and Goatstown.

causal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

id recommend sandymount if u have the money. or ringsend/irishtown are only a few mins walk away from landsdown dart station and then its about 20 mins (i think) to bray from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I've decided to take a place in Glenageary :D . Not very close to town, but the house is right beside the Dart, so its really just half an hour away. And Dun Laoirigh is 2 seconds away. And its close to Bray too. Lovely gaf blah blah balh.

Thanks for the input everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

money mustn't be a problem... ya good for a lend? :rolleyes:

Advertisement