Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvell Virtual Cable Tester

Options
  • 28-04-2005 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,

I've a load of questions.
    I'm looking at an alternative to an expensive CAT5 cable tester such as the Fluke DSP-4000.
    This Gigabit Net Card - SMC EZ PCI utilises Mervell Virtual Cable Tester Technology.
    Could I use this card, installed in a standard PC, to test cable across a 10/100 network?
    Would it be simply a case of connecting the card at one end of the network and getting the results? Or do I need to have a Gigabit switch in there at the other end?
    Could I connect a 2 PCs, with this card installed, at either end of a straigh-through cat5 cable and still get results?
    The results I need are - Connection Map, Propagation Delay, DC Loop Resistance/Pair, Capacitance per pair, Attenuation per pair, ACR per pair, Near End Crosstalk.
    Will Marvell's Utility give these results?
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement