Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stt

Options
  • 28-04-2005 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

Fitz satellite. 10 PLAYERS. 40Euro entry Winner takes all.
    Starting chips 1500
    6Players left. Blinds @ 75/150
    2 limpers..
    Good player(chip leader) in MP goes all in for T4000
    Folded to you in BB, u have 3500 in chips, you have Td8d.

Whats your play, why..blah???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Fold. Give us a hard one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

it must have been played: but why??!!

even against AKo you have a 41% chance of winning. But, why go into a hand when you know you must be some sort of underdog?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Fitz satellite. 10 PLAYERS. 40Euro entry Winner takes all.
    Starting chips 1500
    6Players left. Blinds @ 75/150
    2 limpers..
    Good player(chip leader) in MP goes all in for T4000
    Folded to you in BB, u have 3500 in chips, you have Td8d.

Whats your play, why..blah???

chip leader has 4K and you have 3.5K, why would you even consider a call here?

fold without hesitation, even with a reasonable hand like AJ, AQ, or a small pocket pair I'd fold here, much less T8s. Plenty of time to wait for a hand where you have a better chance of return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

I would imagine the only reason you asked is because someone called and won with it. Whoever it was has abviously been watching way too much Gus Hansen. "Hmmm it's a coinflip if he has an underpair, and 40/60 if he has over cards. That's means I'm getting 90% pot odds right?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

YEah he called with T8s
    Poster here shows 99.
    Poster was shocked..As was I, initially.

It is a winner takes all format.
    OK this time he got his chips in as a 1:2 underdog.
    Against AK he is 2:3..
    I think in this format you have to be prepared to get your money in with the worst of it in order to double up..
    He is one of the best players in the Fitz....!!!!!
    Food for thought

against a pair of 77 or lower he is actually even a slight favourite. But, it does seem a bit crazy to deliberately go into a hand knowing you are behind...

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

He is one of the best players in the Fitz....!!!!!
    Food for thought

Out of curiosity who?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

sounds like a 'norman'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

I think in this format you have to be prepared to get your money in with the worst of it in order to double up..

If this were true (and its not) then we could build a perpetual motion machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If this were true (and its not) then we could build a perpetual motion machine.
    It's all ready been done with cats and buttered toast and shít...

No it was not Norman, but Norman was at the table and he said he would have called too. He was a lawyer I think. Perhaps that explains it.
    Perhaps I am trying to defend the indefensible.
    I think People tend to call in such situations with AQ, AJ, KQ, hands often dominated. BUt would never call with T9s!Live cards.
    In a rebuy situation I have seen very good players put all there chips in with the worst of it in order to double up..

So can you explain the logic/thought process...of Norman and Kevin the lawyer when they make calls like this..

"In this forum be obey the laws of thermal physics"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

It makes sense to make bad calls in a rebuy multi table tournament because you can build a big stack and then use that to your advantage, thereby overcoming the EV that you have given away by your earlier calls. However, in a freezeout with only a few runners this logic doesnt apply.

There are some situations in which it make sense to take what is in essence a bad call, usually when its a choice of either taking a - EV move or knowing that you because the when the blinds are about to rise and you will be forced into a even worse move in a few hands.

But where you are the 2nd chip leader and the blinds are relatively small it simply doesnt make sense to make a call like this, your calling for all your chips in a situation where you will almost never be a favourite, and you need to hit your cards to win. Moving in with a hand like this is an entirely different scenario, because you have given yourself two ways to win the hand.

Its true that calling here with T8s is marginally better than calling with AJ, but that doesnt make it any better.

Its hands like this that make me think that a lot of the regulars in the fitz dont really understand the game at all.

nice post Hector.
    Ok so you fold this one.. you fold on the small blind too.
    Blinds increase (as they did) and the value of stack therefore decreases
    So you get all you money in a few hands later(a smaller stack) as 55% fav...
    Better poker..Better chance of winning the single prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

A lot of messing goes on in these STTs when youve a few regulars that normally only play each other in serious tournaments or cash games

Advertisement