Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye-drop advice?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭

Meself and the chiddler diagnosed with conjunctivitis this morning. The doctor has given us viscous eye drops, and I've managed to get them in his eyes, but it was a real struggle and we were both left traumatised.

Should I wait till he's asleep tonight and try to sneak it in then? I feel that would be a betrayal of trust. Has anyone any handy tips for getting drops into children's eyes?

The way I did it was to lie him down and pull down his lower lid and plop a bit of cream in. All the while avoiding hitting, biting and kicking. The look he gave me after I did it. I still feel so guilty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Has to be done :(
    had the same with giving mine ear drops,
    they are already hurting there and dont want it touched. honestly i'd suggest reason and bribe.
    Let him see Mammy being brave and having her's done then a chat and a bribe while you do his.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Stix

If they hit, kick and bite, then you hit, kick and bite back.

I'd never let my kids away with behaviour like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

He's twenty months old! If you hit them you're training them to hit you back, and harder. Of course he lashed out- he didn't understand why I was doing it.

Thaed- I actually tried your method on my own devices before bedtime, I explained why we had been to the doctor and showed him how I did it to myself, and it did make a difference alright. There were tears, but a cuddle, book and a treat sorted it out. I think he gets that it's to make him better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Stix wrote:
    So you expect a 20 month old to understand that Mummy can hit/kick/bite when she has a good reason to do so, but the little one can't? If you teach them that to hit/kick/bite is a form of discipline, how long do you think it's going to be before you find them trying out the oul hit/kick/bite on other kids?

You don't solve violence with more violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Don't worry guys, Stix isnt the most reliable person to take parenting advice from...

He thinks Stairway to Heaven is the best rock song ever.

And Stix, I'm sure you didnt mean to be an idiot, but keep it up, and you'll be banned...

Regards,
    Fox_in_Socks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think that pretty much everyone had to have something like eye drops done when they were young and we all got over it quickly. You shouldn't fell too bad as it's just one of those things that's got be done at the time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Been though the conjunctivitis ourselves. I had to put eye drops in our 6 month olds eyes a while back. Until you have a baby. You never think you'll have to do these things do you. Basically one of us had to fool him to look one way and the other drop the drops in. He had it twice, and then I caught it really badly in both eyes. Had to work (and I use the PC all day) with it aswell. Very annoying.

To be honest you just have to use tough love. If the child needs something done in hospital you'll have to hold them down too. By all mean try the softly softly approach and if it works great. But at the end of the day, you need to get it done.

BTW conjunctivitis while not that serious. It is highly infectious. Never wipe an eye more than one, always in the same direction, and different swabs for each wipe. Be careful as you can get it very easily. I think it took about a week and a half to clear up. Felt like grit in your eye, and your eyes feel hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Stix wrote:

I'd never let my kids away with behaviour like that.

Oh yes that will work ....not. :)

Advertisement