Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Greystones anyone moving there?

Options
  • 28-04-2005 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭

Hi all - this is my first post. I am currently living in Cork, but, we have sold our house down here and we are moving to Greystones Co. Wicklow. I have always loved the place and we are thrilled to be moving there. Just wondering if there are any people from Greystones around to give me a bit of a heads up on what to do and where to go etc. We are 31 years old and newly married.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    (We already love the Burnaby for Pub Grub - yum)
    MPA

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

it's an amazing place, bels bistro is expensive but good eating place, beach house has the cheapest pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

MrsA: Will you be raising a family here in Greystones?

There's 4 good primary schools, a decent secondary school.
    Rugby, tennis, football clubs, etc...

And you'll be right by the beach.

Nice place to raise the young 'uns :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

We do hope to raise a family there but we will have to see how that will go!! I love the place already and it is great to know that the beach house is the cheapest for a pint!!
    Where is that Bistro? Is it the one near the off licence on the main street?
    Can anyone recommend some good tradesmen for us - and where to get carpets and things like that?
    Thanks again
    MPA

Yes, Bels Bistro is on the Main St. opposite Super Valu. Nice place - a tad expensive though.

Check out www.greystones.info - it has some good info on various tradespeople and other services, not sure about carpets though :confused:

This summer make sure to check out the Greystones Arts Festival which takes place over the August Bank Holiday. Theres lots of different bands playing, parades, fireworks, etc... so there's something for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

My brother and some of his mates have bought places down in the new estate at Charlsland. The local cinema is SUPERB!........ soon to have a fully digital setup.

Vino Pasta is also a nice place (although their Pavalova sucks.....)

there is a carpet shop down the end of the town, beside Chartbusters, opposite the park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,874 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Jasmine House in Bray is also a great Chinese place, although the service can suck at times. Food is lovely though.

Are you joking about the cinema? I have only seen it from the outside but it does not look great!!

We went up on Saturday and because there were communions on we decided to have bar food in the Beach house - the service was dreadful. I ordered a chicken salad (it was on the menu) only for the waitress to come back 10 minutes later to report they had no chicken!! There were around 4 chicken dishes on the menu so to say it was severly curtailed by the lack of chicken is an understatment!!
    MPA

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

MrsA,

The gf and I have bought there, and the place is supposed to be ready at the end of the summer (end of year probably). For food check out the Hungry Monk - we ate there and had a super lunch.
    MrsA wrote:
    Are you joking about the cinema? I have only seen it from the outside but it does not look great!!

If it's the one I saw, I know what you mean - looks like something from downtown Baghdad. :D

Great to hear from someone else who has bought there. Our house/apt will be ready for snagging this day next week. We have bought a 3 bed duplex directly across from Superquinn. We are supposed to be in there by the 15th of June and it is looking good. They really are flying with them and getting so much done every day.
    We are going to go to the Hungry Monk the first night we move in, they got voted as having the best wine list in the restaurant awards yesterday so that suits me fine.
    I really get a great feel about the place, where are you and the GF moving from?
    MPA

Hungry Monk is all good - you should enjoy that. We are both moving from Dublin south side, so not moving too far. We are in Grove, probably about 2/3 blocks down from you. You must be near the show houses then?

• Advertisement

We are very near the show units - our footpaths were laid on Monday and our parking space filled in yesterday. Our only issue is that is it going to be very busy around our house for the next couple of years whenever the show units are on view but it is a small price to pay for the location.
    We have family in South County Dublin in Cabinteely to be exact - lovely part of the world.
    Really looking forward to it all now.
    MPA

I would think that the showhouses will move to a new part of the development soon enough once the newer phases are complete?

Anyway, best of luck with the move - as I said, we are not in there until the end of the summer at the very earliest, so maybe you would be good enough to update us when you move in and let us know how you are getting on? And, of course, what boozers etc you recommend :)

Eoin

eoin_s:
    If it's the one I saw, I know what you mean - looks like something from downtown Baghdad.

Don't be so quick to judge!

Because you are, of course, talking about the legendary "Father Ted" cinema :)

cinema

SofaKing wrote:
    eoin_s:

Don't be so quick to judge!

Because you are, of course, talking about the legendary "Father Ted" cinema :)

cinema

is that really the same one? cool - will have some sort of claim to fame when I move in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭daveco23

Hi All,
    Just spotted this thread. Due to move in august. 3 Bed semi beside Superquinn.
    Any feedback from the people below who have moved in? Whats the area like day to day as opposed to just going down on the Sunday, which is what myself and Mrs Daveco are doing at the moment? Anyone using the feeder bus outside superquinn to Dart? Any good? Anyone know of any reputable tilers down there? Questions questions...
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 elephant

HI all

Just noticed this thread aswell, due to move into Charlesland Court at the end of the summer and very excited with the beau.
    Have friends who live down there and they really like it.
    Greystones is a great spot, good little town and on the beach. Hungry Monk and Vino Pasta are v tasty.

Can anyone recommend someone for wooden blinds? :D

elephant wrote:
    HI all

Just noticed this thread aswell, due to move into Charlesland Court at the end of the summer and very excited with the beau.
    Have friends who live down there and they really like it.
    Greystones is a great spot, good little town and on the beach. Hungry Monk and Vino Pasta are v tasty.
    Glad to hear it, we are due in there in a month or two
    elephant wrote:
    Can anyone recommend someone for wooden blinds? :D
    Argos do them very cheap, but can get the number of a guy who fits them for you if you need it.

Cheers Eoin s , can you give me the number of the blinds guy?

Do argos just do certain sizes

Where you moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

hiya daveco23 ,
    I don't believe there are any about Greystones but maybe if you checked out yellow pages and look for people in the Bray area. Other services if needed can be checked on our town site. Greystones-services etc
    :)
    And yes people our cinema aint no UGC or IMC but it will get better...and it does lack a certain desirability to it.
    Does anybody know when the whole housing is gonna finished and when abouts they expect to get em filled in???

elephant wrote:
    Cheers Eoin s , can you give me the number of the blinds guy?

Do argos just do certain sizes

Where you moving to?

elephant, argos do a range of sizes alright. Only the width varies so the lengths may have to be trimmed down by removing some lengths of timber and cutting the string down. I will get that number for you this week and PM it to you. Argos would probably be a lot cheaper though

I'm moving into Charlesland Grove, about 2 blocks down from the showhouse

• Advertisement

Anyone know of any plans to increase the level of DART service to Greystones? Currently one every 25 minutes in the morning. With the amount of people moving down there are Iarnoid eireann going to increase service?
    Thanks

It is I the original poster here!! we moved in nearly 5 weeks ago now and I love it there. We are in the 3 bed duplex's with our back door to superquinn and our balcony with a view of the sugarloaf!! We are so delighted with the place so far. Snagging did drag on a bit but to be honest they were so good to deal with and have come back in and fixed bits and pieces for us since.
    Both my husband and I get the feeder bus every morning to the DART and it is working out fine for us. We both get the 8:05 DART and it is great to always get a seat.
    The location in Charlesland is great as you can really use all the facilities of Delgany, Kilcoole and Greystones. The pubs in Greystones have not taken my fancy too much apart from the Burnaby but, I am really liking the Wicklow arms in Delgany and the Horse and hound up there as well.
    There are so many good walks and everything in the area it is great if you like to be outdoors.
    Superquinn is fantastic in Charlesland if a little pricey. We shop up in Tesco as it is much better value but, superquinn is great for chilled wine and beer and any other little bits you might need.
    Godfathers pizza place is another little treasure. A 7" pizza with 4 toppings to collect is only €5 which is great and their chips are only €2 with loads in them for 2 to share.
    In Greystones itself the eating is great. Bel's bistro is brilliant and we have been a few times. The Chinese over the bookshop I think it is called Jade Royal or something like that is brilliant and they do thai food in there as well. The italian chipper (next to X-tra Vision) is lovely and does great hangover food.
    Can't think of anything else off hand but we are happy and glad we bought there and having a west facing balcony makes us feel like we are on holidays on the sunny evenings!!
    MrsA.

Delighted to hear that Mrs A - will be joining you in a month or two I hope!

By the way, for cheap shopping Lidl is only a few miles down the road - I *think* you continue on the M11 Southbound, but not too sure about that.

We drove around on Sunday last, and there really doesn't seem to be as many pubs as you might expect in an Irish town, but glad to hear there are alternatives near by.

daveco23 wrote:
    Anyone know of any plans to increase the level of DART service to Greystones? Currently one every 25 minutes in the morning. With the amount of people moving down there are Iarnoid eireann going to increase service?
    Thanks
    Unlikely, because of the single track + trains coming southbound.
    eoin_s wrote:
    By the way, for cheap shopping Lidl is only a few miles down the road - I *think* you continue on the M11 Southbound, but not too sure about that.
    That's probably the branch down outside Wicklow town, 20/25min drive away.

Btw folks, since the local 'nightclub' closed down in Greystones, I hear there's plans for a new one, down in the Charlesland area .....best of luck with that :)

SofaKing wrote:
    Unlikely, because of the single track + trains coming southbound.

That's probably the branch down outside Wicklow town, 20/25min drive away.

Btw folks, since the local 'nightclub' closed down in Greystones, I hear there's plans for a new one, down in the Charlesland area .....best of luck with that :)

Yeah, I heard there would be a new bar opened in Charlesland as well, but I also heard there were some licensing issues with big pubs in Greystones?

I was quite surprised by the small amount of pubs in Greystones actually...

There is a licence for a bar in the Charlesland shopping centre but it is not for a huge square footage. It is to let at the moment but the rent is supposed to be off the wall so nobody is taking it up. They are not going to allow a nightclub there at all but, they did have talk of one at the start.
    There is another new bar which is ready to go as well by the entrance to the park and ride car park. That is in the shape of a boat and looks as if it will be quite impressive. We have gone to Charlesland Golf club a couple of times for a drink as well so that is another option but it is not great in there. Lovely on a sunny day though to sit outside.
    MrsA

MrsA wrote:
    There is a licence for a bar in the Charlesland shopping centre but it is not for a huge square footage. It is to let at the moment but the rent is supposed to be off the wall so nobody is taking it up. They are not going to allow a nightclub there at all but, they did have talk of one at the start.
    There is another new bar which is ready to go as well by the entrance to the park and ride car park. That is in the shape of a boat and looks as if it will be quite impressive. We have gone to Charlesland Golf club a couple of times for a drink as well so that is another option but it is not great in there. Lovely on a sunny day though to sit outside.
    MrsA

Yeah, I had dreams of going into the pub business at Charlesland but when I called up the estate agent they told me the rent was 200,000 per year!! No thanks..
    Mrs A, delighted to hear you are enjoying it down there.. Am from Cabinteely as well, and will hopefully be in sometime in september. On same side as creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Considering moving to Greystones soon. How long does it take to get to the M50 in the mornings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dunser

We are a couple who would love to meet new friends in the area, we should arrange a night out

• Advertisement

Hi all

Elephant here, was back down in the estate today as our place won't be ready until the end of Oct, we are in phase two for Charlesland Court.
    We then went down to the beach and it was great with the sunshine, had a great walk and I believe it is a blue flag beach, and there were a few swimming. Would recommend it for a walk....
    Talking to a friend over the weekend who was originally from greystones and there are really two pubs Bellamies and the Burnaby both at opposite ends of the town.
    There seemed to be a really good buzz about the place this afternoon..

Wanted to ask one question, where does the feeder bus collect to bring down to the dart station ?
    Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement