Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlesland Greystones anyone moving there?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

A friend directed me to this thread. Have bought in the Park and am awaiting notification to go and snag - have to say am a bit concerned re the break-ins as will be there by myself - great about the drinks night in January though - very good idea. Anybody else in the Park got their notification yet to snag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Hi, I'm thinking of moving down but the only thing that's making me hesitate is the commute. I would have to take the 7.30 dart to get into work on time, and I'm wondering about the feeder bus?
    The bus times are:

Morning:

How long does the feeder bus take? Would the 7.15 give me enough time to get the 7.30 dart, or (God forbid) would I have to take the 6.50?

Just trying to figure out my alarm time! If I have to leave the house at 6.45 in order to get to work at 9 then Greystones might not be for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

dublingirl wrote:
    A friend directed me to this thread. Have bought in the Park and am awaiting notification to go and snag - have to say am a bit concerned re the break-ins as will be there by myself - great about the drinks night in January though - very good idea. Anybody else in the Park got their notification yet to snag?

Hi there,

We snagged last Saturday but we didn't wait for the letter of notification. We have been in contact with the foreman for past month or so and we arranged it with him. We will still get the letter as it is part of the process, but we haven't received it yet. So i'd say none of the letters have been posted out yet.

Snag went very well-only minor little things have to be 'made good' as our engineer said. The only things we couldn't snag were appliances as they hadn't been fitted yet. We were just talking to the foreman and he has confirmed that they were fitted yesterday and the integrated cupboard doors were being fitted today.

The one thing that is delaying matters is that ESB haven't metered any of the houses yet despite being hounded by the builders to get on with it, so i'd say that's the main reason why letters of notification to snag haven't been sent out as yet.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dublingirl wrote:

Hi dublingirl (maybe you should have registered charleslandgirl as your handle?). I think the break-ins are quite common for a new estate as they are an easy target: a lot of empty houses, houses with no alarms, houses with no curtains/blinds etc. I would expect this to trail off as the estate fills up.

Drinks should be a good laugh - I guess we should keep it on the back burner till after Christmas, and see who's around then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macey

dublingirl wrote:
    Anybody else in the Park got their notification yet to snag?

Im in the park (3 bed duplex) and was originally told Nov05. Turns out they are only dividing the bedrooms up now. The builders working on my unit said i'd be lucky to be in by March. Friends of mine are in a 2 bed townhouse though and are waiting to snag anyday now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Oest_01

Another cry for help...

Can anyone recommend a carpenter to cut the doors after floors have been laid? Isn't generally done by Des Kelly who laid the wooden floors and now we have few doors standing around in the apartment which don't fit anymore as floors are too high...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

Hey all,

glad to hear things seem to be moving along nicely in the Park.
    DublinGirl/NewHome/anyone else who might be getting ready to move now! were your places originally due for Nov 05?? Or was the completion date delayed or brought forward??
    We're officially due for completion in February (2-bed house), and just wondering how on schedule they seem to be!! :eek: :eek:

Thats crazy about the apartments, I'd heard a rumour that some of them were way behind schedule allright. Strange cos the houses seem to be on track.

Hey Eoin S - never thought of that as a handle - am moving down from Cabinteely so not that far to go.

Thanks for the snag tips New Home. Am in the 2 bed apartments - was originally told Nov 05 but have heard nothing since. Haven't been down for a few weeks now but at that stage they still had the roof to do on the porch - so not sure what the inside is like - must take a spin down this weekend and have a goo. As for me the further away the better for snagging and signing - more time to save :) Mind you the excitement is building and part of me can't wait to get in and get the ball rolling.

Hi Do Nal and dublingirl,

I'm in one of the 2 bed townhouses, first row of the Park. We were always told 'before Christmas' rather than Nov 05. We bought back in August and they knew they were behind at that stage, so although officially they had Nov 05 down as completion date we were told from the off that it wouldn't be done by then.So to us everything is spot on time :D Have to say I'd rather it was at a different time of year though-Christmas seems to be a bit of an obstacle when it comes to getting anything done.

Dublingirl we got our official letter of notification yesterday so i imagine that some others in the Park may receive or have received theirs also.

Oest_01 wrote:
    Another cry for help...

Can anyone recommend a carpenter to cut the doors after floors have been laid? Isn't generally done by Des Kelly who laid the wooden floors and now we have few doors standing around in the apartment which don't fit anymore as floors are too high...

You went for the solid floors then? How much do you need to get taken off - is it worth your while getting a plane and shaving them down yourself, or does it need a good bit taken off?

I have the number of a handyman - he should be able to help you out. I can't personally vouch for him though as I have not used him yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bláth

Well I closed today in the Grove!! Now all i have to do is get tiled and carpeted which is not as easy to organise as i had first thought. The tiler i was going to use now cannot come next week and i have to find one urgently as carpet is going down next Sat!

Ohhh is this an omen - am i not supposed to move down!!:eek:

Anyone know of good tilers (who will also take out the toilet and sink to tile underneath??) I'm laying polished porcelein & unfortunately they seem to cost more to lay!! Or maybe I'm being spun a yarn!!! :(
    Help!

Bl&#225 wrote: »
    Well I closed today in the Grove!! Now all i have to do is get tiled and carpeted which is not as easy to organise as i had first thought. The tiler i was going to use now cannot come next week and i have to find one urgently as carpet is going down next Sat!

Anyone know of good tilers (who will also take out the toilet and sink to tile underneath??) I'm laying polished porcelein & unfortunately they seem to cost more to lay!! Or maybe I'm being spun a yarn!!! :(
    Help!

Hi there - we're in the Grove also, and we asked one of Durkans' tilers to do a nixer, and he has been great. Don't know if he is available at a days notice. PM me if you want his mobile number.

Congrats by the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Terri.D

Oest_01 wrote:
    Another cry for help...

hey Oest, just reading yourpost and i cannot believe they left your doors just standing around im in the court in a 2 bed and we got semi solid flooring with grange carpets and had to have the 4 doors shaved down and the fitter did that without even batting an eyelid, wasn't even an option to just not do them, he was the nicest guy........but in fairness you are not the first to complain about des kelly and i suppose you won't be the last.!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

Help!
    Hi Bláth,

There's a guy who lives in the Court or Wood called Issy (I think, he has a strong French accent so not completely sure) who we've used a couple of times to tile our bathrooms and kitchen. He's not particularly cheap but he did two great jobs, plus living nearby he can pop by when it suits. Don't know if he does porcelain but if you want his number pm me and i'll pass it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Newcomers

Hi,

We've bought in the Park and have a Q re NTL Digital. Has anyone in Charlesland Grove got NTL Digital or MMDS as were outside the Dublin area, as I want to know how it is piped to your TV. Is it by an aerial on the roof or what,

Thanks

Hi Newcomers

We've bought in the Park as well and snagged last Saturday. There were NTL points already placed in the house so it seems that the cabling is already in place. I was just talking to NTL re transferring account and the girl said that Charlesland is expected to be hooked up in the next week or so, so I reckon by the time we all move in it will be very easy to get an account set up or moved from an existing one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

RE: the break-in’s.

The missus was at home last week (Grove) and an alarm started going off. It was about 5pm so it was dark. She looked out the windows and saw about 10 guys from Durkan running around with torches looking into the houses.

Thank god for Durkan, if there was a thief I’d say he got the shock of a lifetime with ten pi55ed builders running around after potential burglars’

Great place to live........despite the 7am rise.
    The bus service goes like clockwork (so far)

Help!

I'm getting Harmony Tiles to do my bathroom (based in Dunshaughlin) - they are the supplier of the tiles in the estate and are very helpful. They organise the plumber to do that end of things and that costs €50 which they include in the cost of laying etc.

Newcomers wrote:
    Hi,

We've bought in the Park and have a Q re NTL Digital. Has anyone in Charlesland Grove got NTL Digital or MMDS as were outside the Dublin area, as I want to know how it is piped to your TV. Is it by an aerial on the roof or what,

Thanks

It's MMDS only. :confused:
    Outside the Apartment/House there's a small box inset into the wall.
    NTL have to put a switch into this. Then connect the existing cable (only 2 in mine) to this switch. The downside is that you can't get away with a DIY job (not that i would as it's bold;) )
    The annoying part is MMDS is more expensive to get in the first place and for some reason that NTL can't/won't explain to me is why it's another €10 per month to have a second room connected.:mad:

The good news is that NTL Ireland have been bought by another company based in Europe, the bad news is apparently there not much better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

NTL is MMDS, but there's no aerial on your roof - I think they have a central aerial, probably on top of the shopping centre

Pros - the picture quality is good (a damn site better than Chorus in the rest of Greystones), if you sign up now they'll give you extra digital channels for the first 6 months free.

Cons - it's entirely digital, so all channels go through the decoder. This means you have to have another decoder if you want to hook up another room. It also means you can't watch one channel and video a different channel at the same time (all these things would apply to Sky as well though)

• Advertisement

Ru wrote:
    It's MMDS only. :confused:
    Outside the Apartment/House there's a small box inset into the wall.
    NTL have to put a switch into this. Then connect the existing cable (only 2 in mine) to this switch. The downside is that you can't get away with a DIY job (not that i would as it's bold;) )
    The annoying part is MMDS is more expensive to get in the first place and for some reason that NTL can't/won't explain to me is why it's another €10 per month to have a second room connected.:mad:

The good news is that NTL Ireland have been bought by another company based in Europe, the bad news is apparently there not much better!!

Howyeh Ru - it seems no nowhere is safe from you :D

The NTL digital is also €7 more per month than it was in my last place. The guy on the phone said it was a "different" package, but would not elaborate when pushed. He did confirm that there were no extra channels with it though.

loyatemu wrote:
    Cons - it's entirely digital, so all channels go through the decoder. This means you have to have another decoder if you want to hook up another room. It also means you can't watch one channel and video a different channel at the same time (all these things would apply to Sky as well though)

But what you can do is set up your DVD and NTL in the main room and use a transmitter to send the signal from either unit to a telly in another room. You won't be able to watch different channels in different rooms, but you can watch DVD in the main room, and watch NTL in a different room.

eoin_s wrote:
    Howyeh Ru - it seems no nowhere is safe from you :D

The NTL digital is also €7 more per month than it was in my last place. The guy on the phone said it was a "different" package, but would not elaborate when pushed. He did confirm that there were no extra channels with it though.

Hey neighbour!

Any word on your moving in date yet?

I just need to know when i should buy my water baloons!

Ru:D

Do_nal wrote:
    Hey all,

I'd be interested in hearing anyones answer to this one too!! For anyone in a Type A 2-bed house, is there enough room to put a 2 seater couch against the wall and a 3 seater opposite the fireplace (ie. the other way round from the showhouse). Has anyone done this??

Girl 24, I wouldn't worry too much about your buider friend. people always like to have their say about things - no doubt he'd build them much better! But they can't be too thin and the only problems I've heard about at all is in some of the apartments where the noise is from above.

i think i'm in a type A 2-bed, (Kitchen Front) :confused:
    We put in a three and one seater, it looks very well, judging from that, i wouldn't think a three two combo wouldn't go too well, however everyone has different taste.

Newcomers wrote:
    Hi,

Were moving in withing thw next two weeks - just wanted to find out what length dining tables do you have in the two bed front kitchen townhouses? We've got 5ft one, I presume thats common enough. Can anyone advise what they have?

Thanks!

We got a 90cm x 180cm Table from Kilcroney. We can easily fit six or squash in eight people it need be.
    A the time we were terrified it would be too big, but it's perfect.
    You have tons of room and can have it going the lenght or breath of the area.
    Were planning to get a cabinet in there too.

Ru wrote:
    Hey neighbour!

Any word on your moving in date yet?

I just need to know when i should buy my water baloons!

Ru:D

why I oughta...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

Folks

Buying in the first row of Charlesland Park I rang Hooke and Mc D last week as we were told that we would get our letter (ready to snag) late Nov and they said the letters had been sent the day before last Wednesday!!!! So I rang Durkans who were shocked to hear this had been told to me as they had not sent the letters out!:mad:

They gave me the site managers number who was very helpful and told me they were waiting on the utilities to be put in which should be any day now!!!
    we went down yesterday and peeped through the window everything looks great - front of the house has been planted and the kitchen is in - tiles nearly finished so I suppose we expect to hear from Durkans asap! and the security guard did'nt chase us away!!!!:)

Did anyone else get the Durkan Tiler to do a nixer and if so was he/she expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Terri.D

hey all,
    congrats to all the newcomers! Just wondering am i the only one with a kid? I live in the court and apart from the 8yrold and 12yrold across the road from me there doesn't seem to be any other kids in charlesland court. I have a 6yr old boy who is getting a bit bored with going up and down the street on his scooter he keeps asking me where all the other kids are and well 'where are all the other kids?' I have seen some older kids, a few babies and some little girls but what little boy wants to play with little girls?

anniec wrote:
    Did anyone else get the Durkan Tiler to do a nixer and if so was he/she expensive?

We did, and he was excellent. Cost about 300 for the labour in both the kitchen and the bathroom. He was as punctual as builder type people get (i.e. he turned up on the days we agreed, but a couple of hours late).

Would highly recommend though, lovely guy to deal with. PM me if you want his contact details.

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Hi Guys - just checking in on "my" thread, God if I had known what I was going to start that day ever so long ago I am not sure if I would have posted. I really miss Greystones and our lovely 3 bed duplex. I hope the guys we have in "minding" it are doing a good job. Australia is great but I know I will be happy to be back in October 2007.
    We got our U2 tickets here today - they are playing in March so I am really looking forward to that.
    Weather is great - not like Christmas at all.
    Happy christmas to all of you and I envy you all spending Christmas in Greystones!!
    This is all spoken by someone who is very homesick by the way so forgive me.
    MrsA.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement